Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
... or rather, avoiding body odour!

When I travel I have to date used the tried, tested, and very popular Jack Black Pit Boss Deodorant - which is, in fact, an antiperspirant deodorant. This is partly because it is NOT a LAG and I can have in my carry on.

I notice that Beard and Blade have Salt & Stone, which I've heard good things about, but cannot recall where!

I need to get some more soon, has anybody used both and can give a comparison?

Other options people use that are not LAGS?

I use Speick Deo-sticks. Not only is it a great deodorant, but the case also fits their shaving sticks when you finish it. Note, this is the solid stick not the roll-on.

Thanks

I think I looked at these and thought that they were a roll-on.

I've been testing a theory for a few months and its working well and that is using an antibacterial to kill the odour causing bacteria instead of an antiperspirant, because perspiring is your bodies natural cooling response etc etc ...
Also because in Darwin all but Mum deodorant give me a rash and I've tried them all and Mum is not strong enough to combat the BO after a lunchtime walk or workout in the Darwin heat but the Antibacterial spray is working well,
Currently using Goat hand and surface sanitiser and it is working well no BO even after a 6km ride home and so far only have to apply once in the morning straight after the shower because wet armpits from the shower just feed the bacteria. Not suggesting it as an alternative to mainstream antiperspirants and deodorants because you do still perspire and get a wet armpit but wanted to share in case anyone has a real problem with BO.

Working well for me the past 4 months through buildup and wet season.

Arko shaving stick. Of course use too much and some drunk will try to pee in your ampits but just the right amount and you will leave a delicate lemon aroma wherever you go.
Eeeeeerugh Arko pissing vomiting shaved stick as a bloody deodorant, excuse me sir, I’m going to vomited.

You need to create an YouTube clip with very careful instructions and demonstration.

Well, I have been using alum block for quite a few years now with success. It is fair to say that I don't usually have problems with body odour, so that helps, but I think it is a great alternative to deodorants, if I want you smell nice I'd much rather indulge in some nice fragrance.

I don't know what a LAG is, but I've been using Dove Invisible Dry antiperspirant deodorant (a rollon) for many years. Cheap, easily available (Coles/Woolworths) effective antiperspirant with an unobtrusive scent. I rate it highly for not marking clothing in sweaty conditions (by which I mean 40⁰ in Perth).

Edit: I don't know about wet season, but it works fine in Darwin right now. :)

Liquid Aerosol Gel ?

Yep, as in take them out and put in a separate plastic bag per international travel rules.

Do an alum block would be fine, roll-on not.

I've never had any problem with my Jack Black Pit Boss Deodorant and equally should not have with the Salt & Stone, or the Speick Deo-sticks.

ARKO! on the other hand @gthomas04, is likely to get them thinking I'm hiding drugs and trying to put off the detector dogs - as there is no way you would subject yourself to that stick on a plane for 15 hours without some ulterior motive!

Yep, as in take them out and put in a separate plastic bag per international travel rules.

Do an alum block would be fine, roll-on not.

I've never had any problem with my Jack Black Pit Boss Deodorant and equally should not have with the Salt & Stone, or the Speick Deo-sticks.

ARKO! on the other hand @gthomas04, is likely to get them thinking I'm hiding drugs and trying to put off the detector dogs - as there is no way you would subject yourself to that stick on a plane for 15 hours without some ulterior motive!
SOOK

Well, I have been using alum block for quite a few years now with success. It is fair to say that I don't usually have problems with body odour, so that helps, but I think it is a great alternative to deodorants, if I want you smell nice I'd much rather indulge in some nice fragrance.
I'm the same, been using an alum deodorant stick for over 20 years. They last for ages and stop any odour. They I just use a nice smelling spray on my body, and I'm done.

I don't know what a LAG is, but I've been using Dove Invisible Dry antiperspirant deodorant (a rollon) for many years. Cheap, easily available (Coles/Woolworths) effective antiperspirant with an unobtrusive scent. I rate it highly for not marking clothing in sweaty conditions (by which I mean 40⁰ in Perth).

Edit: I don't know about wet season, but it works fine in Darwin right now. :)
+1 for the Dove (y)

Alum block for the win!

I've been using alum as deo since 2010 and never bothered trying anything else because even in scorching 47°C heat, it provides full odour protection!

I just use locally available blocks which are sold for after shaving.

... or rather, avoiding body odour!

When I travel I have to date used the tried, tested, and very popular Jack Black Pit Boss Deodorant - which is, in fact, an antiperspirant deodorant. This is partly because it is NOT a LAG and I can have in my carry on.

I notice that Beard and Blade have Salt & Stone, which I've heard good things about, but cannot recall where!

I need to get some more soon, has anybody used both and can give a comparison?

Other options people use that are not LAGS?
I bought my wife some Salt and Stone but she wasn't a fan of it. Ever since she got laser hair removal treatment under her arms she reacts to a lot of deodorants. She initially gave it the thumbs up but started to notice it doesn't last the day.

I've tried this one from beard and blade. It's not cheap but it works and I recommend it. I hate sweating (I used to work in the boiler rooms of steam ships where that's all you did) so I prefer an anti-perspirant.

Another one I like is this one. In fact I'm wearing it right now. Now that I'm mainly sitting in an office, I'll use a deodorant during the cooler months and an anti-perspirant during summer.

I ordered this one today so I'll let you know my thoughts after I get it.