Lanolin irritation and Mikes Natural

Holiday

from Lanolin
Grand Society
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Hi P&C have accepted I have a slight allergy to lanolin and therefore cannot enjoy the beautiful slickness of MWF and some other slick soaps.
In the early days I thought it was razor burn and then went on to realise was an irritation causing red irritated skin
Most soaps in the den have some lanolin but the irritates have been:

- Mitchell's Wool Fat
- Haslinger Schafmilch
- Wholly Kaw - Jamestown Gentleman
- Soap Smooth - Barber Shop
- APR - Fenchurch

Anyone have similar reaction to MWF but able to use Mikes Natural?

To be honest most soaps that contain lanolin would not contain very much as it has a tendency to negatively affect the lather produced. I can tell you with certainty that the amount of lanolin in the Fenchurch is very low. Based upon the ingredients list for MWF and assuming it is listed as per international standards I would assume that MWF contains a little more lanolin but even so it would be a small amount.

Are you certain it is the lanolin in the soap that is causing the issue? Have you been clinically diagnosed as being allergic to lanolin? Have you tried any other Wholly Kaw, Soap Smooth or APR soaps in the V2 base?

Above everything else it is important that you cease using any product that causes you irritation or allergic reaction.

That sucks
Let me know if you want to get rid of the fenchurch tho lol
Sorry @Sammy already PIF'd
To be honest most soaps that contain lanolin would not contain very much as it has a tendency to negatively affect the lather produced. I can tell you with certainty that the amount of lanolin in the Fenchurch is very low. Based upon the ingredients list for MWF and assuming it is listed as per international standards I would assume that MWF contains a little more lanolin but even so it would be a small amount.

Are you certain it is the lanolin in the soap that is causing the issue? Have you been clinically diagnosed as being allergic to lanolin? Have you tried any other Wholly Kaw, Soap Smooth or APR soaps in the V2 base?

Above everything else it is important that you cease using any product that causes you irritation or allergic reaction.

I haven't been clinically tested but can confirm those listed above will bring out a rash every time and managing by trial and error.

I am not up on the different bases @nsavage is there a link that explains them?

Dr Google says refinement of natural free alcohols in Lanolin to below 3 % will reduce allergic reaction.
https://allergycertified.com/blog/chemical-of-the-month-lanolin/

Sorry @Sammy already PIF'd

I haven't been clinically tested but can confirm those listed above will bring out a rash every time and managing by trial and error.

I am not up on the different bases @nsavage is there a link that explains them?

Dr Google says refinement of natural free alcohols in Lanolin to below 3 % will reduce allergic reaction.
https://allergycertified.com/blog/chemical-of-the-month-lanolin/
In regards to different bases I was specifically referring to APR soaps. What other APR soaps have you used?

What other soaps do you use regularly without issue? Have you used Stirling, B&M, A&E etc. regularly and what was the result?

Mike’s has quite a bit of lanolin in it so I would be surprised if you are allergic to Lanolin but have no issues with Mike’s soaps.

Mike’s has quite a bit of lanolin in it so I would be surprised if you are allergic to Lanolin but have no issues with Mike’s soaps.

Just to clarify I haven't used Mike's Natural but am interested in trying other top rated soaps Mikes, Declaration Grooming etc: but not if others with a lanolin sensitivity have experienced irritation.
I am content to stick with those I know are safe otherwise.

Just to clarify I haven't used Mike's Natural but am interested in trying other top rated soaps Mikes, Declaration Grooming etc: but not if others with a lanolin sensitivity have experienced irritation.
I am content to stick with those I know are safe otherwise.

Have you been tested for food allergies?

It might not be the lanolin, could be anything in the soap such as essential oils, tallow, edta, or any other ingredient.

Does wool make you itchy?

@Holiday keep in mind, you might be allergic to certain types FO which is not natural oil, because, EO is a natural plant-based essential oil, if, I'm not fully mistaken.

@alfredus only use EO and he doesn't use FO, he does get allergic to certain types FO

EO = Scented with essential oil(s)
FO = Scented with fragrance oil(s)

I guess one way to establish whether or not lanolin is the problem might be to buy a small tub or tube of the stuff available quite cheaply from any pharmacy and rub it on to your skin somewhere. No rash = no problem with lanolin.

@Holiday keep in mind, you might be allergic to certain types FO which is not natural oil, because, EO is a natural plant-based essential oil, if, I'm not fully mistaken.

@alfredus only use EO and he doesn't use FO, he does get allergic to certain types FO

EO = Scented with essential oil(s)
FO = Scented with fragrance oil(s)

At least one of the soaps mentioned to cause irritation is reportedly made with EO's only so it should not be that causing the issue.

I guess one way to establish whether or not lanolin is the problem might be to buy a small tub or tube of the stuff available quite cheaply from any pharmacy and rub it on to your skin somewhere. No rash = no problem with lanolin.

CAREFULLY.....

I would also recommend having someone else present.

Yes, if you think it is Lanolin then go get a prick test and ensure it is added to the test. I would also get a decent amount of cosmetics ingredients added also.

Your arm will only look like a pin cushion for a few days. Well worth the effort as you may pick up some things which you are additionally sensitive to.

@SpeedyPC EO's being directly plant-derived by themselves does not necessarily mean they are fine to use, some can specifically make you very light sensitive (most citrus oils for example). Others are known irritants and need to be kept at quite low concentrations. Others will poison you if ingested - you can start with Eucalyptus oil which is highly toxic if ingested.

Certainly not trying to dissuade people from EO's, just to encourage you all to check what you are using and what impacts it may have in its use.

FO's on the other hand tends to give more reactions due to the manufactured nature of them. There has certainly been some cases where compounds that would not be allowed in Western Countries have been added to FO's when manufactured in Asia. This can cause issues when local manufacturers import and use these FO's in goods.

If you don't remember the 'Cola' Soap controversy from a few years ago in the other place then maybe you need to refresh your memory. The issue was that a particular ingredient known to cause irritation was used in a product which would have been been a multiple of the maximum IFRA concentration guidelines.

The criticism of the oils/scenting was correct from a safety perspective. The delivery of the criticism maybe left something to be desired. Still I don't think it was delivered with anything other than concerns of the safety of the people using it, and to share knowledge of this in the community.

All of us with any scientific knowledge know that in the correct and required quantities, everything is harmless and and everything can kill you. Some things have a very small delta between the former and the latter. Just because it is natural, doesn't make it safe. Lead is naturally occurring and I do not suggest that anyone ingest it.

R7FuahF.jpg

Thank you all for the good advice.
Does wool make you itchy?
Yes, but I thought everybody found scritchy wool irritable
As suggested by @nsavage in very small quantities with someone around.
Yes, if you think it is Lanolin then go get a prick test and ensure it is added to the test. I would also get a decent amount of cosmetics ingredients added also.
Thanks @Monsta_AU will investigate options.