Keeping it clean

I use my razors until I get bored and then clean them when I swap them out of the rotation. For most razors the routine is then -

Spray with Multi-Purpose Spray and leave for 5 mins while you boil the kettle.

Pour on the boiled water and leave until cool then scrub with a toothbrush.

Polish with toothbrush and toothpaste if needed, rinse and then dry with microfibre cloth.

Delicate gold plated get a gentler treatment as do those with paint etc.

With my brushes every so often they get a clean (6 months?) using the method described in the wiki YKW.

I also use Barbicide on particularly grungy new additions or on razors to go out on loan or coming back from loan. Overkill probably but hey

Last edited:
One could be excused to believe you've enough razors to never actually have to rotate back to the same one, unless you desired to.

One could be excused to believe you've enough razors to never actually have to rotate back to the same one, unless you desired to.
That's our @Mark1966 , use that old Gillette once and then toss it - our King of Disposable Vintage.

I always do a very good hot rinse and wipe dry each time I use any of my razor(s). It seems to forestall the really hard core soap build up and it only takes me an extra minute or so. Then I only have to use Dawn and a soft tooth brush every 30-45 days for a real good cleaning.

About once a year I attack a razor with a toothbrush for all of a minute.
/oh this thread has been necroed