Keeping it clean

dewy

I've noticed by razor is getting a bit of a scum build up on it of late, a scrub with a nail brush brings it up a bit but I'm curious to know what everyones process is for keeping their gear clean, how do you put your stuff away after a shave - ie wet/dry, locked up/exposed... etc. Personally I just shave, rinse the blade and brush out with warm/hot water then squeeze/flick dry the brush then hand it from the top of my vanity cupboard and then blow (mouth) dry the blade loosening off the head a little so as to try to blow out water sitting on the blade.

I've attached a photo of my razor this morning, is there some kind of solution I should rinse the razor in before storing or...?

Not unless you want to be a paid up member YKW and and run a spreadsheet on it...

I do the same as you. Clean the razor with a toothbrush and paste when the soap is visible. Wipe it down on a towel otherwise.

It's a not a hobby...

Not unless you want to be a paid up member YKW and and run a spreadsheet on it...

I do the same as you. Clean the razor with a toothbrush and paste when the soap is visible. Wipe it down on a towel otherwise.

It's a not a hobby...
Ditto on the cleaning.

Cleaning isn't as fun as collecting razors, brushes and soaps. That's the real hobby!

Every now and then I soak my razor in hot soapy water, and then give it a scrub with an old toothbrush. Works a treat.

I find that rubbing all over it with microfibre cloth is good if the parts are relatively smooth. If not, an old SOFT toothbrush and teaspoon of white vinegar into about half a litre of warm water is the goods.

The same sort of build up happens on my lather bowl, quick rub with towel and it is gone. Mind you it is a glazed ceramic item.

Bath of bi carbonate soda and boiling water for a 10 minute soak and toothbrush scrub every few months to lift any calcium, scale, scum and what not that hot water rinsing doesn't remove at the time of shaving.
After that, A very light polish with Autosol on a microfibre cloth to renew to lustre.
At least one member can vouch the virtues of autosol and microfibre.
If I'm selling/returning/loaning a razor, it gets a clean down with isopropyl alcohol to sterilise as well.

I would have thought jif is a bit abrasive over the longer term?
I agree. I only use a very diluted vinegar/water solution for 5 minutes only. That and simply boiling water with dish detergent is all that is needed.
The gentle alkaline of toothpaste is gentler and less abrasive than Jif/Gumption, etc

Haha .. I remember gumption .. smelly stuff that ruined my Circulon Pan surface.

I've been using Mr Muscle Orange Energy cream cleaner and its nowhere as abrasive and has gently cleaned all my razors.
I assumed Jif was the same.

In the American forums, theres a bunch of people using Scrubbing Bubbles cream cleaner. Is there a difference?

Old toothbrush and some toothpaste. Autosol and all the other car polishing things just stink too much for my liking.

In the American forums, theres a bunch of people using Scrubbing Bubbles cream cleaner. Is there a difference?
My understanding of scrubbing bubbles is that it is dishwashing detergent with frothy bubbles. Maybe a bit of bicarb to fizz for effects? They all love it alright.

I find that it's always the natural stuff- bicarb, vinegar, water - that work wonders.

He can't help it mate residue of Mullumbimby artisan soap are permeating the pores nearest his brain. I predict tonight he will also crave mung beans and lentils.
That's not all that'll be craved...

Every now and then I soak my razor in hot soapy water, and then give it a scrub with an old toothbrush. Works a treat.

Same here, I do a quick cleanup after each shave and every month or so I do a big cleanup with toothbrush, dish soap and pipe cleaner.