Gillette Silver Blues

Mong.

doesn't care for Euro Palmolive
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical
Are these any good? I've been seeing a little bit about them on a couple of forums, and I think RM has spoken favourably of them recently. Seems like the general consensus is that these are very smooth and reasonably sharp yet still quite forgiving, so they've got my interest. People keep banging on about how these are a good all-rounder blade, and quite durable, but they also keep comparing them to Derby's which I didn't rate much. Apparently these come from Russia (possibly from the same factory as the Astra's), but they're a little more expensive than the other Gillette offerings at around $32/100. Has anyone tried these out or heard anything good? I saw a thread on B&B from September which suggested that these might be discontinued, so I wondered if that was why they were getting a bit of attention and chatter. If they're good, I might have to pick up a few.

EDIT:

I stumbled on to this thread on B&B which features a very informative post from RM (I think?). I get the impression that the Silver Blues might be a bit sharper than others have let on. Can you comment RM?

Last edited:
They lull you into a false sense of security with the familiar Gillette grind and hone, yet they are very sharp. They can bite if you are not careful.

I think they are Feather equal in sharpness, yet have more feedback and control. They don't feel quite as sharp when shaving, but that is the smoothness coming in.

It's now argued that these are current production blades, they are popping up everywhere. At $32/100 they are a good buy. As close as you get to Spoilers these days, but only last 3 shaves, maybe 4.

To put in perspective for value:
They are not twice the blade of the GBE's for which I paid $15 per 100 blades in bulk-a-bulk, but yes they are overall better. Sharper but not as smooth and controlled.
They are not half the blade that is the Vintage Spoiler for which I paid ~$60 per 100 blades. They lack sharpness on the first shave in comparison but after that are comparable. Longevity is less.
They are definitely better than the 7OC Blacks IMHO, for less money.
They are about the same sharpness as the Czech 7OC Blues. Its been to long between the St. Pete 7OC Blues to give a valid comparison.

If you want a sharp blade but don't like Feathers, then these are available and nice. I have sent a few out to guys, I am sure they will chime in.

They lull you into a false sense of security with the familiar Gillette grind and hone, yet they are very sharp. They can bite if you are not careful.

I think they are Feather equal in sharpness, yet have more feedback and control. They don't feel quite as sharp when shaving, but that is the smoothness coming in.

It's now argued that these are current production blades, they are popping up everywhere. At $32/100 they are a good buy. As close as you get to Spoilers these days, but only last 3 shaves, maybe 4.

To put in perspective for value:
They are not twice the blade of the GBE's for which I paid $15 per 100 blades in bulk-a-bulk, but yes they are overall better. Sharper but not as smooth and controlled.
They are not half the blade that is the Vintage Spoiler for which I paid ~$60 per 100 blades. They lack sharpness on the first shave in comparison but after that are comparable. Longevity is less.
They are definitely better than the 7OC Blacks IMHO, for less money.
They are about the same sharpness as the Czech 7OC Blues. Its been to long between the St. Pete 7OC Blues to give a valid comparison.
But overall nowhere near as good as Sharks!

If you want a sharp blade but don't like Feathers, then these are available and nice. I have sent a few out to guys, I am sure they will chime in.

Fixed that one for ya! Another Gillette blade I've never heard of. I'm glad they've left the words Super and Platinum out of the name because that's getting ridiculous. By the way just to hijack this thread completely, have been shaving with a Super Iridium that Mong kindly posted to me. It's a very nice blade. Doubt it'll last as long as a vintage Shick but for the first couple of shaves I'd be hard pressed to tell a difference. But then, as most of my enthralled readers will know, I've got problems telling any blade apart from the next one.

But then, as most of my enthralled readers will know, I've got problems telling any blade apart from the next one.

That's because you are an uncultured Philistine.

Apologies to any Palestineans on the forum

SI's are very good. If you want to get a stash from G&C and split post, call me...

I got my first batch from this guy, who also sells via the B&B forums. His prices include shipping here, which I think will work out cheaper for you than G&C. I just assumed 100 as the amount though, I didn't compare smaller quantities.

Thanks for the info RM, I think I'll pick some up. Sounds like I definitely need to hurry up and try a Feather though, if the sharpness is comparative to these. Can you still get the Gillette 7'OC Blacks or the Czech 7'OC Blues around anywhere?

Glad you enjoyed the SI too PJ, are you trying one of the original ones now? I think they're better than the Polsilver ones, just a little bit. I always seem to get an extra shave out of them.

Thanks for the info RM, I think I'll pick some up. Sounds like I definitely need to hurry up and try a Feather though, if the sharpness is comparative to these. Can you still get the Gillette 7'OC Blacks or the Czech 7'OC Blues around anywhere?

Blacks still available from eBay: 420 X Gillette 7 O Clock Super Platinum Double Edge Blades Shave Shaving HC EHS | eBay

It's not the same seller I used but the price is reasonably keen.

Best price on Silver Blues which I can find is currently wit NTguys via eBay for a smidge under $29/100 delivered: 100 Gillette Silver Blue Double Edge Razor Blades Made in Russia | eBay

The Czech 7OC Blues are a lottery. Some people say they have them and supply Russians, some say they have Russians and supply Czechs. I liked the few blades I used of the Czechs, they come out of the old Astra factory.

...........Glad you enjoyed the SI too PJ, are you trying one of the original ones now? I think they're better than the Polsilver ones, just a little bit. I always seem to get an extra shave out of them.

Haven't tried the polsilver ones yet.

@Drubbing: Looks like G&C are sold out of SIs. Unless there's another supplier I think Mong's suggestion (Super Iridium Razor Blades: Products ) seems pretty reasonble. How many are you thinking of? 250 split three ways would be good. Is there another Perthie? Otherwise, I'm happy with a 100 blade order split between us.

Just in case you blokes wanted to check him out, his username over at B&B is "milogciachez". He's a semi-regular in the Hobbyist forum and I'm happy to stand behind him as a seller, his communication and service to me was really good. Blades took about a week to get here from Spain.

I may have found a pretty sweet deal on a bulk lot of Silver Blues, I'm just waiting on a bloke to get back to me about whether or not he'll post them here. I've come to like quite sharp blades that cut smoothly, so if these fit the bill, I'll spring for some before they're gone.

Now now RM, that's just not very nice! We can't all be high priests of unobtanium cult.

Unobtainium? You mean like the Shicks I've got coming my way ....

Wouldn't mind a try of the Polsilver SIs either [sigh]

Just in case you blokes wanted to check him out, his username over at B&B is "milogciachez". He's a semi-regular in the Hobbyist forum and I'm happy to stand behind him as a seller......

Hmmmmmm...Drubbing's name, before he got banned for a second time, was Gun Running Preacher Man. Bloody funnny if you ask me! I'll take your word for it Mong. I'm assuming we haven't got to log on over at YKW to access Mr Milogciachez? Neither of us will get past the post.

Where'd ya find them? They're the best.

Where'd ya think? eBay

If they are as described I'll share a few around if people are interested.

That's a nice bloody price! When you consider that the Super Iridiums are 40c, you've got yourself a super bargain mate. Did you find them on ebay?