Which Simpsons?

Shedding can happen with very stuffed handmade brushes, it's a tricky skill to hand knot a brush, so there will be some that fail. No way to tell until they start doing it.

They will replace them. I've had to do it once. They threw something in to cover the postage I paid too. I was cheeky and asked to upgrade my replacement instead and they still send me a gift....

Any way to check if its a shedder? The milk churn I have is unfortunately a shedder. 5 hairs per shave normally

I don't think there is. All they do (or can do for that matter) is comb the brush before it leaves the factory floor. No way to test it wet. I doubt a brush will just keep shedding unless the glue is disintegrating in which case there by rights should be entire batches that shed and there'd be three Simmo bashing threads/day appearing on B&B instead of the standard one a week. But you can't tell a customer that it'll probably stop in a year or two. The number of bristles in a knot is huge and 5 hairs/day for a period of two years I doubt will actually make a noticeable difference. I've got a brush that consistently loses a hair every now and then (a Vulfix as it happens...Oh my god I'm overdue for a Vulfix whinge thread). If it were a half a dozen every shave I'd get pissed off with it but one hair every other shave doesn't.

Send it back to the supplier. They should give you a new one. I know the postage is a pain.

I actually have a Duke 2 in Best, and I have no trouble recommending it. It's a small brush compared to some of those gargantuan 28mm Chubbies, but it's capable any way you want to lather. Soft, slightly scrubby, good for anything. Nice choice.

It took a couple of weeks of shaving to break in the Duke. It softened noticeably with some use, and it was slightly prickly at first. I'd put that down to the density of the brush, it just needed some time to break up the knot and bloom fully. As far as shedding goes, mine lost a few hairs every shave at the start. Maybe 15-20 overall across the first five or so shaves. I was slightly concerned at first, but you've got to realise, there are hundreds if not thousands of hairs in each brush. Losing some at the start AND over time is to be expected. Now I lose a hair once every few shaves, but to me, it looks like they're breaking off rather than shedding. I used to coddle this thing for longevity, but now it gets worked like it's meant to. If anything goes catastrophically wrong, I'm reasonably confident that Simpson will look after it.

Your main problem is yet to come, Stills. Now you're gunna want a set. :D

I actually have a Duke 2 in Best, and I have no trouble recommending it. It's a small brush compared to some of those gargantuan 28mm Chubbies, but it's capable any way you want to lather. Soft, slightly scrubby, good for anything. Nice choice.

It took a couple of weeks of shaving to break in the Duke. It softened noticeably with some use, and it was slightly prickly at first. I'd put that down to the density of the brush, it just needed some time to break up the knot and bloom fully. As far as shedding goes, mine lost a few hairs every shave at the start. Maybe 15-20 overall across the first five or so shaves. I was slightly concerned at first, but you've got to realise, there are hundreds if not thousands of hairs in each brush. Losing some at the start AND over time is to be expected. Now I lose a hair once every few shaves, but to me, it looks like they're breaking off rather than shedding. I used to coddle this thing for longevity, but now it gets worked like it's meant to. If anything goes catastrophically wrong, I'm reasonably confident that Simpson will look after it.

Your main problem is yet to come, Stills. Now you're gunna want a set. :D
Hey Mong,

Great to hear your perspective. I'm sold on the Duke 2 - and you're dead-on with your crystal-balling 'coz I think it's just the trumpeter at the start of the procession. Maybe I should keep things neat from the get-go and build me a spice rack - to house the brushes in the bathroom. 'What comes next' is precisely the reason I'm insisting on a Simpsons early on - to establish the baseline. From there I will really appreciate what is 'up' and what is 'down'. Sorry to to harp on with photography analogies (but it's what I understand) it is precisely why everyone who gets into film needs to try a Leica M at some stage - just so he can appreciate what is better and what is worse. Leica is the standard for photography and I'm appreciating that Simpsons is the gold standard with brushes…this is not meant to spark debate or fan no flames - just what I've believe based on my research so far. Just like some will say that Hasselblad, Contax or Nikon are gold standard in film cameras. Who cares, it's about how I appreciate things.

Oh yeah, and you just need handle my cameras to see they aint coming to me for cuddles, it's all geared towards work for us both.

Thanks for the heads up with the hair loss/shedding. I am amazed that my lone Edwin Jagger Super has shed but one hair in its life with me so far. Then again I'd anticipate it having less (so more?) to lose with each hair.

It's due diligence to mention it. A lot of chinese made stuff won't shed, being machine knotted. Simpson do it the old way, for better or worse. They stand behind their product regardless. there is a difference between losing a few at initial wash and shedding though.

I actually have a Duke 2 in Best, and I have no trouble recommending it. It's a small brush compared to some of those gargantuan 28mm Chubbies, but it's capable any way you want to lather. Soft, slightly scrubby, good for anything. Nice choice..............

My only Simmo is the Wee Scot and, although I like and only really have small brushes, every time I dig it out ready for use I still can't believe it's going to work. But it does of course. And based on that I really wouldn't want any brush bigger or more to the point denser than a Duke 1 in Best. Those knots really are Best for face lathering. If you're going to bowl lather than a Chubby would probably work really well.

.............there are hundreds if not thousands of hairs in each brush.......................

I've seen the number, estimated by somebody (yes, anal shave forums are a mine of useless information) and it's more like tens if not hundreds of thousands.

It's due diligence to mention it. A lot of chinese made stuff won't shed, being machine knotted. Simpson do it the old way, for better or worse. They stand behind their product regardless. there is a difference between losing a few at initial wash and shedding though.
Yeah well my Edwin Jagger says "Made in Sheffield England" so I think I'm safe……to assume that Sheffield England is where the Chinese-made knot is glued into the handle.

P.S. Yep as I suspected…

Last edited:
Virtually all the worlds badger stock come from China, where they are farmed. So it's a fair assumption most of the knots are made there too. Not many are buying badger hair and doing it themselves these days. Simpsons are one of very few. It makes for an expensive product as the hair already costs a fair bit.

Virtually all the worlds badger stock come from China, where they are farmed. So it's a fair assumption most of the knots are made there too. Not many are buying badger hair and doing it themselves these days. Simpsons are one of very few. It makes for an expensive product as the hair already costs a fair bit.
…even the likes of Shavemac?

Not sure. I think they make their own too. Very small operation IIRC.

Plisson is THE high end brush maker and no idea how they manufacture. Their handles are a fair part of the cost - big, detailed and hefty.

Since there are no countries in Europe where badger hair can be legally obtained from local badgers (species: meles meles), all badger hair for European brush manufacturing has to come from outside Europe, which generally will mean China (and not from meles meles either)

@Drubbing there are actually still quite a few EU brushmakers importing the loose hair (previously separated by length & grade) from China and gathering/filling/forming/tying/gluing/setting knots to handles all by hand. But most don't, and EU labor's never cheap, particularly for something that in the EU is considered a lifetime career, so it does ramp up the cost quite a bit from the base hair weight/grade and handle expenses.

From our stock, I know that all Dovos are done this way, and I watched them do so myself (didn't see Merkur, but wager machined). Nobody was giving them a knot; they were gathering hair, putting on a batteryless scale, stuffing in a 'pestle' pre-selected for that model (they had a few of them of different diameter/depth/head shape), trimming the back, tying it with a little twine, gluing that, letting it set a bit, and then a different glue was put in the base of the handle bore and they mated the two parts by hand.

VP Leonhardy's grades 4 & 5 (& even a couple grade 3/5) are all hand made, 5/5 not even trimmed on the bottoms (that is extreme). Our little no-name Deutschland brush shop works 100% by hand, & of course Simpson/Vulfix do it all by hand.

I suspect all Shavemac, HL Thaeter, & Muhle's highest tier only, are true handiwork. Where we found our 'house brand' firm was in a region of Germany where we also encountered several other tiny German brushmakers, whom made all sorts of brushes of which their shaving brush lines were only a paragraph of the page, and they seemed to be doing it all the same ways as far as I could see, with no machines making a peep. Twine, scales, glue, wooden thing for knot forms, patient and learned hands conducting.

German models tend to be far more uniform piece-to-piece than the nominal Simpsons variance, even when each is wholly handmade; surely Simpsons, too, must use the assistance of a "pestle" (or however they refer to that thing) for knot forming, can't imagine they're exclusively squishing it with merely their palms/fingers, so I chalk up the larger variance to being UK rather than DE produced.

No question about it, machined knots shed much, much less. Hand made equals recurring problem, no matter the skill or the glue used. But hand filled also can be denser and set deeper. Leonhardy's quite proud of this latter point, claim length of hair to be a barometer of intrinsic hair quality that those ever-crafty badger farm exporters cannot circumvent on their perpetual path to lower cost (plentiful <50mm strands for sale that were scratchy and dark before being altered to appear creamy white, but try finding >70mm strands of any condition, they're usually not openly offered). They told me no machine made knot could be made of ultra-premium hair w/o having to hack off 2cm+ of the "rear" side in the handle.

@stillshunter I'm sure many a shop's happy for our efforts in photographing Simpsons & other brushes, but if there wasn't one slogging uphill this way first, those less committed to such a request for service wouldn't have a "Send me one that looks like sample ___" point of reference. It is easy to follow and hard to lead; I don't know if any other shop does it (I doubt it), but since 2010 when we adopted the format it costs us about 800 man-hours a year, & I use the term "costs" quite accurately.

Do they not have CL2 in Oz? Find some shop who does, must be one. Terrific little things.

Someone on here chimed of tiring of Aussie Post. This I find truly hilarious - I speak from tremendous experience (you better believe we hear from almost every customer awaiting any elected-to-ship-untracked-to-save-gobs-of-cash parcel longer than a fortnight, & many chirp up even before that) when I declare it unequivocally the world's best, so if you're tired of them, at least be glad you're not ANYWHERE ELSE on the planet! :)

@kwigibocity: Bugger me if that weren't a great post - thanks mate!

@stillshunterDo they not have CL2 in Oz? Find some shop who does, must be one. Terrific little things.
I came up empty handed with the Classic 2 locally, so just ordered me a Duke 2 in Best. I was tempted by the Chubby 1 in Best for the exact same price…or Chubby 1 in Super which is on further reduction (only $40 more) - but went for the accessible learning brush. Hey there's still a few more years of shaving left in me so I'm sure I'll source a CL2 (and Chubby) in the fullness of time. ….maybe in Super or better - wise choice?

Your service is astounding. Rest assured that whenever I know I'm visiting the US next I intend having some of your fine merchandise delivered to my hotel ahead of time…or like with my cameras I might get used to international trading, in time, and then I'll order to home.

Again, big thanks mate!

Hell of a first post, Mr SS.

I stand corrected. I don't like it much, so I'll sit down and fold my arms and harrumpf.

I've often browsed your site. It did reveal the full extent of the variance in product specs from Simpsons. And I've had a shedder myself. I may have another, my CL2 is starting to concern me. And no, there is no Aus retailer that carries them, it's one of their under the radar models IMO. Chubbys and Dukes get all the attention.

As for postage, you are aware of the sort of customer that finds their way to your site? I think 'particular' is the diplomatic word you've used.

Then there's guys like @stillshunter. He's one to look after. Camera tragic. In comparison, high end brushes are chump change to those blokes. He'll be back....

@stillshunter Variance is in play (vs hardly at all w/ the Simpsons super 3-band), but u can sometimes get "Best" that is the equal to Super. Pity the eye is not excellent at detection thereof.

Also, u might like our photo setup if yer a camera nerd, we use an Arca-Swiss M-Line 2 w/ digi-born lf lenses & a camera stand attacking the little Novoflex "magic studio", as a photographer full time in another life long ago it is a joy to use the tools I couldn't afford tben but a commercial shop can essie justify.

@Drubbing. I've certainly had my share of completely absurd "Which sample of the ___ would you recommend, the#__ or the #__?" tele conversations, where the two suspects look at least as similar as two absolutely identical peaches at a fruit stand. Hard to believe I'm not being put on by someone sometimes with those things, but the callers are dead serious, & don't seem to like that I tell 'em to flip a coin, which is what I always do when I can't decide. Sheesh, you'd think that they were picking where their kids go to college...I'd be far more worried about the lesser shaves without my new brush I'm enduring while I consternate over whether I want the shoelace aglet made by Frito-Lay or Proctor&Gamble. At least with the Dovos/TSS brushes the handles are made of naturally varying things like wood or horn...there I can sympathize. But two similarly bulbous CH2s? It's nuts.