Watcha wearing today?

WCPhtDK.jpeg

Kurono Calendrier Azuki by Hajime Asaoka, a Japanese watchmaker. This is from his affordable line using off the shelf movements and simpler finishing, but still steeped in his signature aesthetic. Pictures do the dial color no justice.

Marketing blurb:
"Hajime Asaoka wanted to achieve a color that harked back to cars of the past, where maroon was a popular standard color. In Japan, that car color is more commonly designated as 'azuki' (tr: 'red bean') hence the nickname for the watch. Significant effort was put into achieving the deep maroon color of the dial, including using phosphor-bronze* as a dial material for the first time. (*phosphor-bronze is multitudes harder to machine than the more commonly used brass.)"

...maroon color of the dial, including using phosphor-bronze* as a dial material for the first time. (*phosphor-bronze is multitudes harder to machine than the more commonly used brass.)"
It's also a bitch to forge. Back in my blacksmithing days, I was once commissioned by a quite well-known Perth artist to make a component for one of his sculptures out of phosphor bronze. I quickly discovered it is what smiths know as "red short", ie it crumbles when you heat it. I had to do the job by alternately cold-working and annealing in an improvised disposable furnace, since the oxides would have been poison for forge-welding steel in my regular forge.

Last edited:
WCPhtDK.jpeg

Kurono Calendrier Azuki by Hajime Asaoka, a Japanese watchmaker. This is from his affordable line using off the shelf movements and simpler finishing, but still steeped in his signature aesthetic. Pictures do the dial color no justice.

Marketing blurb:
"Hajime Asaoka wanted to achieve a color that harked back to cars of the past, where maroon was a popular standard color. In Japan, that car color is more commonly designated as 'azuki' (tr: 'red bean') hence the nickname for the watch. Significant effort was put into achieving the deep maroon color of the dial, including using phosphor-bronze* as a dial material for the first time. (*phosphor-bronze is multitudes harder to machine than the more commonly used brass.)"

Oh mate, you just made me fall in love. I can't find a way to get one of these, but damn it looks elegant.

Oh mate, you just made me fall in love. I can't find a way to get one of these, but damn it looks elegant.
Kurono sells watches on a limited basis; they don't have a regular collection. They announce a watch; open up order windows and fulfill all orders made within the window period, whatever the quantity that may be. And that's it, so far I dont think they have done 2nd runs of any watch they released. Of course there are speculators who buy and sell for more than the initial price.

Kurono sells watches on a limited basis; they don't have a regular collection. They announce a watch; open up order windows and fulfill all orders made within the window period, whatever the quantity that may be. And that's it, so far I dont think they have done 2nd runs of any watch they released. Of course there are speculators who buy and sell for more than the initial price.

Then I looked in the right place. Congrats on that beautiful watch.

Is9Razi.jpg
San Martin ST2130 39mm Explorer 1 Homage.

I've been exploring a few Aliexpress watches. I wanted something I wasn't going to worry about bangs and scratches but I like it so much I've been babying it a little. Still shiny and scratch free for now.

First rate fit and finish. Just very well done if you want something in this style. Very wearable and nicely proportioned.