Upgrade Razors

To be very honest it right on the Merkur 34C, but, the level of aggression is different from each other during the shave, and I find that the Lite preformed better than the 34C.

The Blackbird Lite blade geometry and the efficiency is outstanding against the 34C. YMMV but believe me you won’t regret this razor and if you don’t like it, you can always sell it.
After handling R41 without much issue I guess I can handle Blackbird lite.

After handling R41 without much issue I guess I can handle Blackbird lite.
Blackland has a 15% off summer sale directly from their website right now, so you better hurry otherwise the 15% off sale is gone for a while.

This screenshot is directly from Blackland website
Blackbird-Lite-vs-Original-Std.png

Last edited:
Yep, no matter how much @SpeedyPC bullies me to get Bird Lite. I am not going to do it. So how's Blackland Era.
The Era is a different beast, I have the OC Level 4 and SB level 5. I can run both with a Feather blade no worries and it's a comfortable shave. The problem is the Era was discontinued, so good luck finding one if Shave has no stock left

@SpeedyPC If R41 is 10/10 on aggressive scale. Where do you put Blackbird, Blackbird Lite?

I have both R41 and BlackBird in SS.. If the R41 is 10/10 on aggressive, I would put the BB as 6/10 in aggression and 8/10 in efficiency... It is such a smooth shaver (for me)

I have a DE89 also and yes it is very smooth (on par with the BB for me) but not very efficient, can get close to BBS but grows back much more quickly

@Gargravarr mentioned the Timeless which is very smooth but again the BB >>Timeless. But I am biased, for me the BB is not only efficient but its small blade gap also make it safe, where i can wiz around my face with no issue but I do enjoy efficient razors so always take that into account

The Lupo 72 might be a razor for you?

I have both R41 and BlackBird in SS.. If the R41 is 10/10 on aggressive, I would put the BB as 6/10 in aggression and 8/10 in efficiency... It is such a smooth shaver (for me)

I have a DE89 also and yes it is very smooth (on par with the BB for me) but not very efficient, can get close to BBS but grows back much more quickly

@Gargravarr mentioned the Timeless which is very smooth but again the BB >>Timeless. But I am biased, for me the BB is not only efficient but its small blade gap also make it safe, where i can wiz around my face with no issue but I do enjoy efficient razors so always take that into account

The Lupo 72 might be a razor for you?
I am waiting for Samson to get the stock of Lupo.

@lastkey the Rocca is also an excellent razor. I have the R94, 95 and 96.. but if overkill and if your interested can sell you the R94 for $80?

It's the model with stainless steel handle

@lastkey the Rocca is also an excellent razor. I have the R94, 95 and 96.. but if overkill and if your interested can sell you the R94 for $80?

It's the model with stainless steel handle
I have had Rocca as I really liked its looks. I sold it because I found it to be aggressive. My skin gets scrapped/irritated quite easily hence such a long search for an efficient but still relatively mild razor. But I admit I didn't pay attention to the blades I was using (probably used with Astra Platinum only) and my technique was not good either. Your offer is tempting, though. Should I give it another try?

I have had Rocca as I really liked its looks. I sold it because I found it to be aggressive. My skin gets scrapped/irritated quite easily hence such a long search for an efficient but still relatively mild razor. But I admit I didn't pay attention to the blades I was using (probably used with Astra Platinum only) and my technique was not good either. Your offer is tempting, though. Should I give it another try?

Up to you mate, if your keen let me know.. that price includes postage to you

I only started getting back into the Rocca's lately (too many razors) and used a Nacet the other day. I usually like the nacet blade but this one felt a bit rough on the face and remembered i didnt like them. Never used Astra so cant comment on that

BIC and Polsilver/wizamet blades are excellent in this razor

not sure how long you have been shaving but when I started, my lather wasnt up to par and found razors to be bit rough on the face. Once I sorted this out I found that what I previously felt was a rough/aggressive razor was not a problem.. not saying this is you but def worth thinking about

Up to you mate, if your keen let me know.. that price includes postage to you

I only started getting back into the Rocca's lately (too many razors) and used a Nacet the other day. I usually like the nacet blade but this one felt a bit rough on the face and remembered i didnt like them. Never used Astra so cant comment on that

BIC and Polsilver/wizamet blades are excellent in this razor

not sure how long you have been shaving but when I started, my lather wasnt up to par and found razors to be bit rough on the face. Once I sorted this out I found that what I previously felt was a rough/aggressive razor was not a problem.. not saying this is you but def worth thinking about
I've been wet shaving since I grew a beard, so roughly 25 years, give or take. DE shaving six years. But now I feel those initial DE years were random ramblings. I was jumping from one razor to another without considering or focusing on other parts of the wet shaving process, such as technique, lathering, and blades. Blades made a massive difference when I started evaluating different blades few months ago and how they behaved in different razors. My favourite blade is BIC, too—Nacet in mild razors like DE89. So if I would try Rocca today, I would most probably use BIC in it. Today I shaved with R41 again. First pass with R41+Minora. Second pass 6S Plate 6 + Astra. I feel 6S is one of those razors that work well with almost any blade, although now I consider Astra P as meh blades. They are leftovers from my previous purchase.

The razors I have tried and sold.

Merkur: 47c, 38c, Rocca, Progress
Vintage Gillette: Techs - Ball End, Fat flat bottom, Aristocrat, slim boy, fat boy, Flair Tip, Rocket, Red Flair Tip, and a few others I can't recall
Parker: Variant, a few others I can't remember
Feather AS-D2

I've been wet shaving since I grew a beard, so roughly 25 years, give or take. DE shaving six years. But now I feel those initial DE years were random ramblings. I was jumping from one razor to another without considering or focusing on other parts of the wet shaving process, such as technique, lathering, and blades. Blades made a massive difference when I started evaluating different blades few months ago and how they behaved in different razors. My favourite blade is BIC, too—Nacet in mild razors like DE89. So if I would try Rocca today, I would most probably use BIC in it. Today I shaved with R41 again. First pass with R41+Minora. Second pass 6S Plate 6 + Astra. I feel 6S is one of those razors that work well with almost any blade, although now I consider Astra P as meh blades. They are leftovers from my previous purchase.

The razors I have tried and sold.

Merkur: 47c, 38c, Rocca, Progress
Vintage Gillette: Techs - Ball End, Fat flat bottom, Aristocrat, slim boy, fat boy, Flair Tip, Rocket, Red Flair Tip, and a few others I can't recall
Parker: Variant, a few others I can't remember
Feather AS-D2

No worries well U def have plenty of experience on DE shaving, more than me actually.. so I'll just shut up then 😂

You are right some razors take lots of blades well others not so much.

BIC is a blade I never liked (and a shame cos there Greek blades) but I was advised to try the BIC in the Rocca and I loved it, bought over 1k of them since.. also tried these in the blackbird and love them there also, my fav blade in that razor for sure.

Don't mind the vintage razors for nostalgia but the modern razors are much better IMHO..I have a 73 birth date Gillette black beauty and a 68 slim but barely use them

For me my best razors in order are

BlackBird
WR2 1.25
Rocca
Lupo 72 and 95

Surprised you find the R41 ok but feel the BB is too aggressive. I find the BB to be a lot smoother and much safer, but it's all YMMV in this hobby

@StratMan keep poking the pitchfork at @lastkey on the Blackbird and I think he too bloody scared to touch his bank account again :LOL:

Thing is that some people actually find these razors aggressive and it's exactly what kept me from buying one for so long.. thank goodness for the feedback from @nav1 and @Errol but def not pushing the BB on @lastkey.. it's a big $$ investment for something he may not like

The Rocca and Lupo razors are the first that gave me an appreciation of milder razors (than I was used to) but still kept a decent level of efficiency.. I class these as mid aggressive and smooth, love em especially with a BIC/polsilver

And cheers for the DG soaps man, shaves with the rose/patchouli tonight.. loved it 👍