Stupid sexy Blackland Blackbird! Need help to decide...or stop myself 🤣

Totally agree.

It doesn't matter what Blackland you get, you'll be happy with your purchase.

I've got both the Blackbird Titanium and the Era and both are fantastic.

But then,

I also agree with this. My 1958 Gillette Fatboy or my 1937 Gillette Sheraton are always a pleasure to use and a hell of a lot cheaper.
I really should revisit the Tech at some stage. Been a long time since I’ve shaved with it.

The Blackbird razors receive a lot of love here and with good reason. I was tempted to buy the Blackbird in titanium too but ultimately went with the standard Stainless Steel Blackbird with the short handle and stand in the polished version. The the lite was released soon after so I and added that in a polished finish to the mix along with an EOL ERA razor.

It's a decent enough razor and was very great for me but it hasn't received much love since I bought my Lambda razors but to stay on topic I preferred the polished version because I liked the the look and feel of a polished razor I also have a (unconfirmed) feeling that the polished one has smoother edges and corners based on the fact that it has been somewhat polished and softened the edges a bit.
I personally feel that the lite plate does not dial down the feel of the blade enough to make it as comfortable as I would like it to be but that was not the design point of the lite as I am sure Shane wanted to keep the same feel and characteristics of the Blackbird consistent across the two plates.

I am not a fan of the stand and feel it could have been better made. The Vector and stand match so perfectly allowing the razor to sit firmly and cleanly within the stand hole and is nice and flush but on the Blackland its sits loosely and wobbles. This I believe is based on the fact that the bottom of the hole in the stand does not meet the shape of the handles bottom, I imagine it is also because of the lather/grip lines on the handles which may not help either.
If I were to make a stand for the Blackland I would try changing the bottom of the hole in the stand to meet the same shape as the handle and if need be cut the sidewalls of the hole in the stand to meet cutouts and in the handle. Clearly I am overthinking things here but I thought I would mention it.

The Blackland is certainly an efficient shaver particularly the standard plate which will mow down a significant amount of hair from its first pass where as the lite in my opinion will play a little catch up to the standard plate with the grain but will catch up on subsequent passes against the grain which is also where the slightly more mild feel comes to play, at least for me. The blade feel is ever present and serves as a constant reminder that it is there. It's a unique feeling razor and is capable of out shaving many razors but I have had more comfortable shaves with similar results if not better using other razors. (I know I am going to get shot here lol)
This could also be down to user preference, skills, skin and hair type so please do not be discouraged. It's clear you have had this razor on your mind for quite a while (Awesome of you to go to the Sydney meet up too) so you may perhaps never get that monkey off your back until you do. The Blackbird is overwhelmingly held in high regard here and as such many members own one with little to no complaints.

I will certainly have to revisit it at some point but it will have to be the shave after the next as someone has asked my opinion on another razor that I have and I would like to give them a more up to date opinion on.

I think we have all felt the strain of buying anything from overseas given our woeful Australian dollar doing so poorly thanks to our equally woeful government over the many years. At least Blackland have free international shipping.

I should probably mention that the Blackbird is completely different in blade feel and efficiency than the Rockwell 3C and Gillette Tech.
If it is not the right fit for you then you will have got the monkey off of your back and should have no troubles selling it here if need be.

Thank so for taking the time to write it all down. A lot of good info and some different perspectives are always useful.

I’d say that I’ve just about justified it to myself.

Bringing out my armoury of rationalisations.
-Amortised over 20 years
-100 bucks a years over the past 5 years of no new razors
-Easy to resell if necessary
-Buy once cry once
-It’s a work of art to be appreciated every day
-pass on to future generations as inheritance :):ROFLMAO:

Feel freed to add to the list guys.

Just need to decide which one.

We have a winner.

After much agonising I’ve decidedly to go with the Titanium Blackbird with safety bar. No stand for me as I’m really pushing my limits on this one.

Ordered just now so I’m locked in. :oops:

Naturally I’ll update with posts in the appropriate forums when it arrives and when we get to “consummating” things with the first shaves!

Thanks for giving your differing perspectives on things. It was entertaining and helpful to read.

We have a winner.

After much agonising I’ve decidedly to go with the Titanium Blackbird with safety bar. No stand for me as I’m really pushing my limits on this one.

Naturally I’ll update with posts in the appropriate forums when it arrives and when we get to “consummating” things with the first shaves!

Thanks for giving your differing perspectives on things. It was entertaining and helpful to read.
giphy.gif

Its about bloody time….

Last edited:
We have a winner.

congratulations!! i bet you will absolutely love this razor.. love to hear your feedback when you first shave with it

Congrats @dangerman (y) if you are not happy with the BB then definitely in the minority.
Very disappointed in P&C members lack of enabling :(
No one suggested buy them all and catch and release what you dont get along with

I have the TI model. I love this razor. However, I would get the stainless version. This is a unique type of razor, if you learn to use it as the designer intended. It is the only highly efficient razor I have used that can handle some pressure without being problematic.
My stainless R41 is sporting a titanium handle, because it is more pressure sensitive then the BB.
I wouldn't mind some extra weight on my BB.

my 68 Gillette slim and 73 black beauty dont even come close to comparing to the BlackBird for me. I get a much closer, smoother and safer shave with the BB

That's fair enough, what works for some doesn't work for others. Soap and blade choice for a particular razor also makes a big difference.

That's fair enough, what works for some doesn't work for others. Soap and blade choice for a particular razor also makes a big difference.

absolutely it does, and I guess I have not experimented enough as each time I do I just cant get the same level of BBS or comfort.. any suggestions of blade I can try in either? for soap I find triple milled always provide the best protection

absolutely it does, and I guess I have not experimented enough as each time I do I just cant get the same level of BBS or comfort.. any suggestions of blade I can try in either? for soap I find triple milled always provide the best protection
@StratMan you really need to stop chasing the BBS
LK91Bde.gif
because all your guitar collection isn't smooth as a baby bare bum, you just keep on

pFM88oH.gif

@StratMan you really need to stop chasing the BBS
LK91Bde.gif
because all your guitar collection isn't smooth as a baby bare bum, you just keep on

pFM88oH.gif

I have to agree with Speedy on this one, but just go with what works for you. Try a lot of different blades, you find one that suits a particular razor. My favourites are Astra, Feathers and Clouds (don't tell Speedy about that last one though, apparently, it's the Arko of the blade world).

I love my Blackbirds, and will be ordering the Osprey very soon, but I'm just as happy with my older Gillette's.