Shave of the Day Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another Cyril R Salter shave
A special day today so was hoping for a great Shave and this Wild Rose soap was great.
DEw3d7b.jpg

Nice to see someone else here with O&C. How do you like it? Your puck looks much paler than mine, is it the original (Valobra) formulation?

Sodium Tallowate, Aqua, Potassium Palmitate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Palmitate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Cocoate, Potassium Cocoate, Parfum, Glycerin, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera, Lecithin, Petrolatum, Zea Mays, Tocopheryl Acetate, CI 77891, CI 77492.

I notice C&S seem to have found some more in a cupboard somewhere, and it's back in stock at Mensbiz. I might have to score a few more pucks, I only have 7 spares at the moment, and I haven't heard any news of Valobra reopening.

Yes mine's the Valobra formulation. I used a filter for that photo, hence the change in color. I wasn't blown away by it from this fist use; however, I used too much water. Today I did a test face lather, without actually shaving, using less water and without blooming the soap, I ended up with a nice creamy lather which I would have expected from this soap in the first place. I have ordered one more puck from MB but I don't think I'll go crazy stocking up on it; the scent is not quite my type.

If you like the scent, you should get more while it's still around; even if Valobra re-opens C&S might not go back to using them for their shaving soap.

If you like the scent, you should get more while it's still around; even if Valobra re-opens C&S might not go back to using them for their shaving soap.
I've ordered another three. That'll just have to do, it's expensive stuff, and I have other things on my shopping list.

Given that C&S got a total bagging over the replacement manufacturer for their "88", they might just bail altogether on the soap front. Seems to me they should have just asked DRH to make it for them.

#ACSHOWDOWN

Holidays are over and getting back to trialing the Hawk Standard SB. To move things along decided to do a side by side comparison with the Vector and loaded them both up with a fresh Feather Professional Super. Can definitely feel the increased blade exposure which spoiled the first pass for both razors and left with a grainy stubble feeling. The Hawk felt a bit more comfortable and protective due to the extra size and heft. However the Vector won out overall in shaving performance. After 3 x WTG and touchups I would rate the Vector @ BBS and the Hawk Standard @ DFS+

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Omega - 10098
Soap:- Stirling - Baker Street
Blade:- Feather Professional Super

LHS: Razor:- RazoRock - Hawk SB Standard (I still have it @Gargravarr) with Giesen Forsthoff Handle
RHS: Razor:- Blackland - Vector

GM6CJiY.jpg

BTW: the 10098 is a big boar and felt like I was only using 1/3 of it. Should be good for destroying a few pucks.

Last edited:
#ACSHOWDOWN

Holidays are over and getting back to trialing the Hawk Standard SB. To move things along decided to do a side by side comparison with the Vector and loaded them both up with a fresh Feather Professional Super. Can definitely feel the increased blade exposure which spoiled the first pass for both razors and left with a grainy stubble feeling. The Hawk felt a bit more comfortable and protective due to the extra size and heft. However the Vector won out overall in shaving performance. After 3 x WTG and touchups I would rate the Vector @ BBS and the Hawk Standard @ DFS+

LHS: Razor:- RazoRock - Hawk SB Standard (I still have it @Gargravarr) with Giesen Forsthoff Handle

GM6CJiY.jpg

BTW: the 10098 is a big boar and felt like I was only using 1/3 of it. Should be good for destroying a few pucks.
I see the dapper doc is back :p

#ACSHOWDOWN

GM6CJiY.jpg

Do the Pro Super blades actually give more blade exposure than the regular Feather Professional?

#ACSHOWDOWN

GM6CJiY.jpg

A great comparison of both razors are similar to what I observed with overall edge going to Vector but Hawk V3 Standard being a good substitute ;)

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: @TroyTools 'Platypig' Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: Saponificio Varensino 70th Anniversary shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Schick Krona
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (2)
Post-shave: APR Acqua di Sydney splash
Fragrance: Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gio EDC

Definitely a better shave with a decent blade - still not sure I'm a fan of the razor though ...

gh63mMFl.jpg

Pre-shaved face wash with Pears Transparent (India). Lathered with tallow Tabac and Chinese synthetic brush. Shaved with Comoy's of London 6/8 off 0.1μm pasted balsa and clean leather strop.

Spent some extra time shaving this morning, doing a full four passes; WTG, 2 x XTG and ATG plus touch-ups. I was aiming for a BBs result all over (just to keep my hand in) and nailed it.

full

I know that I will just have a DFS finish when I start shaving tomorrow. That is the sacrifice that I make when I get BBS the morning before. Such is life.

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: @TroyTools 'Platypig' Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: Saponificio Varensino 70th Anniversary shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Schick Krona
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (2)
Post-shave: APR Acqua di Sydney splash
Fragrance: Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gio EDC

Definitely a better shave with a decent blade - still not sure I'm a fan of the razor though ...

gh63mMFl.jpg
I got good results using a Gillette Platinum in the Krona. I also found it shaved best when riding its head angle.

WzQ2U0Y.jpg

Pre: shower
Brush: Omega 40 Boar
Soap: Catie’s Bubbles Mental Terrosa
Razor: RR Lupo 95
Blade: Gillette yellow (1)
Post post: Gameface

My third go with the Lupo 95. It continues to impress in that it is efficient but not overly aggressive. Basically, a trouble free shave. This time I used the Gillette yellow, my preferred blade in many of my razors.

Status
Not open for further replies.