Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least you have scraps, closest I come is a beaten up uncased Leresche ...
You have a beautiful #51 - whatcha talkin' about?!

Anyway, you're Mr Gillette Australia aren't you? You collect Gillette razors and not other brands...

You have a beautiful #51 - whatcha talkin' about?!

Do I? I thought mine had brassing all over it?

Anyway, you're Mr Gillette Australia aren't you? You collect Gillette razors and not other brands...

Well, it is about diversity nowadays!

Brush: Vintage Simpson Butterscotch '46' - re-knotted by Simpsons in Pure
Soap/Cream: Proraso Eucalyptus & Menthol
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 Slim Adjustable (7)
Blade: Vintage English Wilkinson Sword (5)
Post-shave: Proraso After Shave Lotion

Ahh, back to where it all began almost.

Proraso - should be in everyone's den. Still good stuff despite the re-formulation (some would say better) which cannot be said for many others. My first 'real' shaving soap back in 2010 (closely followed by Cella)

The re-knotted '46' was my first vintage butterscotch Simpson. I saw it on eBay with bad pics and not ID and thought it was a Simmo. Got a bargain with the box and being relatively new to brushes figured that if it said 'Pure' on the brush I should get it re-knotted in the same grade. Of course now I now that was, at the time, a reference to the purity of the product not the 'grade' of hair. A little scritchy but lovely brush.

The Gillette L1 Slim I've been using was about the second vintage razor I purchased after a L1 Flare Tip. Birth year and all that. Still a great shaver.

As for the vintage English Wilkinson Sword blade that was from @Pjotr who I conspired with some years back to corner the market on vintage Schick Super Platinum blades, including the infamous ones that got 'lost' in the post for more than a year.

At the beginning of a New Year it is sometimes good to look back as well.

For the new year, I've opened a NOS Razor, used a NOS blade and got a BSS. :cool:

Razor: NOS Gillette Tech 1989 J-4
Blade: NOS Gillette Super Silver Platinum 1989 J-4
Pre-Shave: Proraso Sandalwood Pre-Shave Cream
Cream: Taylor of Old Bond Street - Coconut
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Best wishes for 2016, all the possible good shaves for you and your loved ones :D

20160102_092139 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with a Windrose handle
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: Vie Long Horse
Soap: Trumpers Limes
Post Shave: Trumpers Limes skin food
First shave of the new year and I went back to my first shave cream. Lovely scent and a good performer. A little under the weather at the moment but nothing like a good shave to put a smile on the face. Two pass shave was all that was needed to give me a smooth face.

Slight deviation on the travel shave this morning:

24008735532_e7ae7fd36e_z.jpg

Thanks to the ever generous @Mark1966 for the pif of the Gem. My first foray into the big bad world of single edge. It was actually a pleasant experience: Super smooth with no nicks or irritation whatsoever. I may have to get my hands on more razors and blades (speaking of which, anyone want to pif me some blades to try??).

Slight deviation on the travel shave this morning:

24008735532_e7ae7fd36e_z.jpg

Thanks to the ever generous @Mark1966 for the pif of the Gem. My first foray into the big bad world of single edge. It was actually a pleasant experience: Super smooth with no nicks or irritation whatsoever. I may have to get my hands on more razors and blades (speaking of which, anyone want to pif me some blades to try??).

Nice shot mate - gee didn't waste any time getting into that GEM!

The blades I gave you were the GEM blades from Connaught I think that they are pretty much the only current production SE blade - others might correct that though. The SE blades do last a lot longer than regular DE blades too.

Nice shot mate - gee didn't waste any time getting into that GEM!

The blades I gave you were the GEM blades from Connaught I think that they are pretty much the only current production SE blade - others might correct that though. The SE blades do last a lot longer than regular DE blades too.

No need to waste time. I was keen-as to try!

The Personna ones? If they are the only ones in production, then I've already sampled the entire market! ;)

How long would one expect a SE blade to last?

Brush: Semogue #1305
Soap: Barrister & Mann Adagio
Razor: Kirby Beard
Blade: Wilkinson Sword [6]
After-shave: Myrsol Emulsion

Brush: Semogue #1305
Soap: Barrister & Mann Adagio
Razor: Kirby Beard
Blade: Wilkinson Sword [6]
After-shave: Myrsol Emulsion

Kirby Beard AGAIN!

Myrsol Emulsion - the missing part of my Myrsol 'Seven Day Set'

You just delight in running it in mate don't you ;)

Kirby Beard AGAIN!

Myrsol Emulsion - the missing part of my Myrsol 'Seven Day Set'

You just delight in running it in mate don't you ;)
Haha! You have thousands of razors and you're fixated on the Kirby Beard... It's always the one you DON'T have isn't it...?

There's 11 Myrsols all up (but one is called "Electric" so may not count [emoji6]). Not every one is a scent to my liking but the glass bottles of coloured liquids are so purrrrdy.

You'll be pleased to know that I won't be using the KB tomorrow at any rate. I'm away on hols and didn't take it with me. [emoji6]

I decided to try the Godrej Menthol Mist tonight and worked it into my face with my finger tips. It created a really impressive looking lather when I put the synthetic to it, all very promising - until I took a small stroke with my straight. No glide for a straight. I took my Schick adjustable injector out and the shave was fine. Actually better than fine, smooth and cool. The after feel from the soap/cream is good. For me, not a soap for a straight but for an SE or DE would work well. I'm certainly happy to have it in my cupboard for the occasional SE shave. I would complain if it was the only soap I had for SE/DE shaves. Others might :)

Brush: Vintage Simpson Butterscotch AS2
Soap/Cream: Cella Crema Da Barba
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 Slim Adjustable (7)
Blade: Vintage English Wilkinson Sword (6)
Post-shave: Floid Vigoroso

Well following on from a great classic Proraso shave yesterday where could I go but Cella Crema Da Barba!

My second soap I think and still a classic. The almond/marzipan scent we all know and love (?) is fading a little but still there and the soap continues to produce excellent, rich lather.

I think that the AS2 is growing on me and may become part of my regular rotation. The other brushes are eyeing each other off nervously, waiting to see which one gets replaces.

From Italy it was a quick, and obvious, trip across to Barcelona to finish off with the Floid. Another Mediterranean classic with a distinct scent and feel (although no reducer in the bottle!)

Buona giornata!

Buen día!

PS - Yes @filobiblic, it is a human trait to long for what we do not have and forget that which we have. Thanks for the heads up on the Myrsol. While I will give the Electric a pass there are a couple of options to make up the 'seven-day set' - not sure why I didn't think of them originally!

Hands down worst shave in a while. Struggled to build a decent lather despite 3 attempts with the Trumpers Sandalwood soap. Haven't had an issue in the past but boy it sucked today.

Anyway!

Merkur 34C
Proraso Green
Omega Boar Brush
Astra Platinum Blade

20160103_zpsgvfypvhj.png

Face Wash : Musgo Real Lime Glycerine Soap
Pre-Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Thater 2-Band
Soap : Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Razor : Tanifuji
After Shave : Argan Oil, Stirling Sharp Dressed Man

Great shave today - everything came together beautifully. I'm starting to think the Tanifuji is like Grant Hackett - if it weren't for Iwasaki (Ian Thorpe) it would comfortably take the title of World Champion. It delivered a seriously close shave with only the weight of the razor providing pressure, and sang for the entire shave. At times I'd feel my face and think "that's smooth alright", but the noises from the Tanifuji showed that it didn't regard the job as done properly yet. When it finally quietens down, there's no doubt about BBS whatsoever.

A bit of reflection post-shave made me realise that BBS has pretty much become the norm for me these days, particularly when shaving with one of my extra hollow ground beauties. I used to chase after BBS until my face was red and irritated : these days it just happens, no fuss, no stress and no irritation.

Finished the shave with Stirling's Sharp Dressed Man AS, echoing the scent of the shaving soap.

Happy 2016 to all of you - I hope this year brings you great shaves and great friendships!

Mate that's either a very interesting looking razor or an interesting play of light. Is that merely a reflection of the scales along the blade or is there a different finish to face (towards the edge) of this Tanifuji?

20160103_SOTDSGraNov_zpsjeibmuio.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: ATT R1 Kronos
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (1)
Brush: Rudy Vey Shavemac 2-band Silvertip
Lather: Mystic Waters Jeff's Lavender
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Last shave at home before a short holiday tomorrow, so decided to try out the ATT as a travel option as it is currently the only easy to replace razor in the den. It was a silky smooth shave and I always forget what a great razor it is. However it needs a bit of attention and is therefore still not the perfect travel option for me...seems like I have to pack my RRSS in my carry on :D

Status
Not open for further replies.