Shave of the Day 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back on SE for a spell.

Ever Ready boar re-knot
Occams Lime
Featherweight for shave No. 1 followed by Bullet tip for Nos 2 and 3.
Nivea/Natio

Always forget how hideously sharp the GEM blade is on the first shave. Just requires a slow steady pace and holding the razor head completely flat against your skin. The second and third shaves leave you some room to relax a bit and overall I get the closest, smoothest shaves. If it wasn't for the fact that it's always a scary experience (particularly the first shave), I'd be using SE blades a lot more.

Finally I can publish my first SOTD! Hope you like it!

Shaving Soap: Monsieur Dupont by Richard Dupont (NOS)
Shaving Brush: Omega Barber Pole Pure Badger
Straight Razor: C.V. Heljestrand Eskilstuna
Strop: Paciccella Strop - Leather "Pienofiore" & Jeans
AS: Floïd The Genuine

This is my last SOTD. Sorry if it comes from another forum. Is the Italian version of this forum. Even there, we are talking about wet shaving;)

image.php

image.php

Finally I can publish my first SOTD! Hope you like it!

Shaving Soap: Monsieur Dupont by Richard Dupont (NOS)
Shaving Brush: Omega Barber Pole Pure Badger
Straight Razor: C.V. Heljestrand Eskilstuna
Strop: Paciccella Strop - Leather "Pienofiore" & Jeans
AS: Floïd The Genuine

That soap looks like you haven't touched it!

Brush: Simpsons Classic 2
Soap/Cream: Tabac Soap
Razor: Weber PH w/- Bulldog handle
Blade: Feather (1)
After-shave: Tabac Balm
Scent: Azzaro PH

Package arrived with the Feathers, Tabac Balm and Deodorant. This was my first time shaving with Feather blades. I've been very much looking forward to this, as I have a thick coarse beard that needs a blade sharp enough to slice rather than tug. So my expectations were high. Did the Feathers disappoint? Well noting the hype that goes with Feathers they did disappoint a little, but I'm not sure how much of it was down to something afoot with my technique or how much was simply down to the blades. Had a nice thick and slick lather, and the Feather went through it fine. Was the most vocal shave I've ever had, the beard did sing as the blade passed. Now and again I heard a difference in the sound, a little ping and a double-take as to whether that pass went right. I'd wait and nothing…. but then 15 seconds or so later came the weeper. About 7 weepers or so in total. Oddly, not a single cut in the usual susceptible areas - mainly chin and neck - every cut was local to the upper lip and top of the chin. Again, I normally never suffer here. So all-in-all it felt a pretty rough shave by the end of the third pass - couldn't venture an ATG (went WTG and 2x XTG). I've not reached for Alum in many many months, but I certainly needed it this morning.

The Tabac balm was very nice. Smells as good as the lotion. Has a little less bite than the Lotion, and I like how it both tones and moisturises the skin. The face felt nice….well as nice as it can after the grating I gave it this morning.

So my main priority this month was to use nothing but Tabac - soap and after-shave - and get to know my new Weber. I will try the Feather again, as I've had other blades that were rough first time round and softened up nicely for shaves two to five…so benefit from a corking before that first shave. I'll also try some angle adjustment. I used zero pressure, just the weight of the Weber PH head and bulldog handle. It is odd, as I shaved as I would with a Gillette Black. The Black Ninja I find smooth and pretty sharp. I was hoping for even sharper but with rivalled smoothness from the Feather. But if I end up in a post-shave state like this again, we might see a change in blade…definitely giving my face a break for a day or so.

Happy hear any advice.

Good to see the Arlington getting used. I tried to like it. Love the scent, but the milk thing just didn't feel great.

I think Feathers have a finer edge than most. Probably why they don't last that long, and they can cut really easily if slightly off.

I haven't had a weeper or cut with them, but I don't force the razor. No need, they cut through anything.

Wow that Pureman looks unique…I expected more a standard Merkur OC head, can't wait to give it a whirl.

The handle is completely custom, but the head is stock Merkur. That's not a very good angle for the poor thing either, makes it look weird.

Anyway - my shave had a couple of changes from normal

Brush: Vulfix #374 Super Badger
Soap/Cream: Simpsons Luxury Vetiver & Lavender
Razor: Fatboy (9)
Blade: Gillette Super Inoxydable (1)
After-shave: nil
Scent: nil

Gave the Vulfix a quick wash, loaded up my first of the 'modern' Gillette Super Stainless and went to work on 3 days of growth.

The brush is quite a bit smaller than I am used to, and I actually think it is overall a little bit too small for my tastes. The Smoggie 730HD is a massive mop of a brush and can be difficult to work with at times. The Vulfix picked up a nice amount of cream on the tips and lathered really well, while rflow and release were fantastic. The lather seemed much finer and the feel of the hairs on the face was softer, yet with more backbone. @Mark Watterson will be happy to hear that no hairs were shed during the first use too - thanks for working with MassDrop regarding this offer. I am quite happy with my first 'Simpsons' brush.

As for the blade - well all the participants in the upcoming Vintage Blade Bonanza will love it. You can tell it is the direct descendant of the original Gillette Super Stainless / Spoiler, yet a little less sharp and quite a bit more user friendly. Those that are used to Spoilers will note that the first shave with these is like the second shave on a Spoiler. No feeling of the blade being 'too sharp' and with quite a bit of smoothness. It is just down to how long it lasts, I am hoping it will make 4 quality shaves & fall off after that.

The GF simply loves the fougére scent of the Simpsons. She refers to it as 'Catnip' because she cannot stop sniffing me afterwards.

Coming up: Saturday I move to the Proraso Red. Looking forward to it, has been a while since the Sandalwood scent filled the bathroom.

The handle is completely custom, but the head is stock Merkur. That's not a very good angle for the poor thing either, makes it look weird.

Anyway - my shave had a couple of changes from normal

Brush: Vulfix #374 Super Badger
Soap/Cream: Simpsons Luxury Vetiver & Lavender
Razor: Fatboy (9)
Blade: Gillette Super Inoxydable (1)
After-shave: nil
Scent: nil

Gave the Vulfix a quick wash, loaded up my first of the 'modern' Gillette Super Stainless and went to work on 3 days of growth.

The brush is quite a bit smaller than I am used to, and I actually think it is overall a little bit too small for my tastes. The Smoggie 730HD is a massive mop of a brush and can be difficult to work with at times. The Vulfix picked up a nice amount of cream on the tips and lathered really well, while rflow and release were fantastic. The lather seemed much finer and the feel of the hairs on the face was softer, yet with more backbone. @Mark Watterson will be happy to hear that no hairs were shed during the first use too - thanks for working with MassDrop regarding this offer. I am quite happy with my first 'Simpsons' brush.

Thanks for your thoughts on the brush.

Thanks for your thoughts on the brush.

The proof will be in the pudding, so it will be how it performs over the next few weeks as to how I rate it. But on first impressions, it was worth the money.

I fear that I am going to buy more brushes now..... :mad:

The proof will be in the pudding, so it will be how it performs over the next few weeks as to how I rate it. But on first impressions, it was worth the money.

Nice to know. It's never good to base opinions on first impressions...

I fear that I am going to buy more brushes now..... :mad:

More Simpsons? Or did it not 'scratch the itch'?

Yeah, I have had a taste and I like it. Bloody massdrop enablers!

Haha! Yeah. I'm waiting for some more shaving deals to happen on that site.
Do tell all if you see any!

(And can't wait for your own "enabling" with blades that are mind-blowingly awesome, but are mind-blowingly hard to find...)

I know they do shaving related stuff regularly, just not all the time. If you are signed up then you will see them when they come through.

Unfortunately August was an expensive month (4 birthdays, including my baby sister's 21st), and September is Rego month. We have also just booked a holiday to Malaysia next May/June so the saving is happening for that.

Going to have to reduce spending for a while I think after this little flourish.

Going to have to reduce spending for a while I think after this little flourish.

You sound like a regular fixture here in the "Shavers Anonymous" forum...

"I really love this... Darn it! I overspent this month... But it's the best! I just need to wait a month or two..."

All part of one big happy family.

Travelling Box SOTD - The Finale

3fd50cd28c785091ab794dfcae850a17.jpg

Can anyone tell me what that aftershave is?

Brush: Simpsons Classic 2
Soap/Cream: Tabac Soap
Razor: Weber PH w/- Bulldog handle
Blade: Permasharp Super
After-shave: Tabac Lotion
Scent: Tabac Cologne

Tried a single stroke with the Feather this morning and quickly decided it is not for me - not after the nightmare of the first shave with that blade. So disappointing as I wanted to love the Feathers! Oh well, blades are the ultimate YMMV - and Feathers are a "No" for me. Anyway a quick scan of the drawer and my eyes were drawn to the bronze box of the PermaSharp Super (PSS). Never used them before, so it could have went either way. Feather and Merkur on one end and Gillette 7o'clock Super Platinum (Black Ninja) or Red IPs on the other end. First pass, utter relief compared to the Feather. Second Pass (XTG) still nice. Third Pass (XTG) very comfortable. Bugger it, let's try a 4th pass and ATG (which I don't do). The PSS was smooth, sharp and very smooth. Not sure how it compares with the Red IP or Black Ninja yet, but I'm putting it in their camp early and looking forward to finding out how deep in their camp it'll reside.

Celebrated the nice shave with an all Tabac affair. The cologne smells so good - and married well with the soap, AS Lotion and deodorant. Only wish it lasted a little longer on the skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.