Shave of the Day 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: Pureman OC Prototype

The razor is outstanding and I previously said the head was too light. I was wrong.

The head is the same size as most others, the length of the handle is deceptive but the brilliance in the design of this is how evenly the weight is distributed. No top heavy razor, using the head for pressure, this is superb in the hand.

I think it is along the lines of 'only ever used a Fatboy, then I tried a Slim' - that extra length seems to make a real usability difference. I am not sure if it is leverage or balance.... BUT. IT. JUST. WORKS. GREAT.

I am going to see if I can get a little more info on the razor from Pureman and see if we can get a run of them. I may even just source a similar 'long/thinner' handle and sell them as replacements for the 15C/25C head.

There are some similar OC heads - Parker make one that looks similar. Probably not as good.

If you do go down the handle path, give me a yell and I'll try to put you in contact with tool machinist I know through one of my circles.

The Monsta Razor!

Has anyone ever seen an adjustable open comb ?
I'm yet to find one, yet am still relatively new to this.
Am most interested in finding one and might be the perfect route to venture down if we're going to discuss custom and group items :)

Brush: Shedding Smoggie 730HD
Soap/Cream: old Jermyn cream
Razor: Fatboy, wide open
Blade: Aussie Spoiler, dunno but getting close to EOL
After-shave: none

No nicks, no irritation. Not as close as I would like on the neck but blade isn't fresh at all.

Has anyone ever seen an adjustable open comb ?
I'm yet to find one, yet am still relatively new to this.
Am most interested in finding one and might be the perfect route to venture down if we're going to discuss custom and group items :)

I have seen one at some point, but the the blade exposure was R41-like by memory. You probably don't need adjustability to be honest, if you need more aggressiveness then you would just shim another blade under it.

Interested in viewing it . blasphemy, we can never have too much to tinker with.

Brush: Omega Bristle 80005
Soap/Cream: HTGAM Gondolier
Razor: Merkur 38C
Blade: Voskhod (1) - thanks for the pack JugV2!
After-shave: Razorock AS wax (original)

Almost nothing better than returning from travel to your own shave den and access to the full compliment of shaving supplies. It's great to be back.

The little Omega is breaking in nicely. The Voskhod blade was superb- smooth and sharp. First time using it thanks to the generosity of JugV2. I like it already.

The ending with Razorock's AS wax was the finishing touch. I'm with @stillshunter - this balm is fantastic (but pricey).

My SOTD included a Voskhod blade as well.

I know what you mean by superb. Surprising that they are not more accessible by the masses.

My SOTD included a Voskhod blade as well.

I know what you mean by superb. Surprising that they are not more accessible by the masses.

I'm not too surprised. Most blade sampler packs don't have blades like Voskhod or Perma-Sharps. They seem to always have Derbys or Feathers or 7'OClocks.

If you don't know they exist, then you won't try them.
If you don't try them, then you won't seek them out to buy them.

I guess the experienced shavers have been using good blades like these for a while. Meanwhile, the "young and relatively inexperienced" blast the forums with their favourite from them limited experience. Newbies join up and only hear those shouting and miss out on the real gems. It takes you a while before you realise there is more to a razor blade than you first thought...

All IMHO of course...

If you do go down the handle path, give me a yell and I'll try to put you in contact with tool machinist I know through one of my circles.
Hey @borked you serious about this offer? If so, I'd be super keen on a heavier and longer handle for my NEW LC (3pc). If so let me know and I'll PM you some details.

@stillshunter I'm serious about asking and passing on contact details if people indeed are interested, yet make no guarantees, as I've not commissioned him for any work prior.
Considering how I know him, I do place a higher level of trust in him than the average Joe though.

Brush: Simpsons Duke 2 (D2) in Best
Soap/Cream: TOBS Shaving Shop
Razor: Gillette NEW (UK LC) with Edwin Jagger DE89 handle
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Passes: 1x WTG, 2x XTG
After-shave: First 5 mins: Proraso Green Splash, then Razorock AS Wax (Original)

They say, 'absence makes the heart grow fonder', well I got to say coming back to the D2 after a few weeks trying to bond with the boar and the EJ Super. Oh the D2 was oh so sweet. Now this is a brush! I'm sure brushes are like blades and there is something for everyone, different strokes for different folks, YMMV, etc., but the D2 is just damned right for (my) face lathering!!! The TOBS just exploded in its generous mop. I got my 3 passes plus touch-ups and there was enough to do the misses' legs. Shaving Shop smells damned amazing. For those who know it, will be nodding now I know. Those who don't know…get out there and get some. Yum!

Not sure the nomenclature for these plain old Gillette Platinum blades I used - that's all they say on the packet (blue, grey and white); still not even 1/10th of the way through my Monsta newb blade challenge. These blades felt far better to me than the last few blades - e.g., Iridium Supers. Mighty smooth. Sharpness is so-so, I would have liked a little more edge. There were a few capillaries popped but nothing that created a drop. Still loving the NEW UK LC. Again better with the Edwin Jagger DE89 handle (barber pole) weight-wise but not grippy enough - esp. with the slippriness of the TOBS. I am upping the ante on my search for a new meatier grippier handle for the NEW…or I might just buy me that iKon OC I so want.

AS routine rounded off the ritual nicely.

For some reason the Maltese/Dark Platinums don't like the Open Combs - at least my common-bar NEW is not much fun. Cannot remember if I sent you a White Platinum but that will be much better than the Malteser.

Anyhow, today as thus:

Brush: Shedding Smoggie 730HD
Soap/Cream: old Jermyn cream
Razor: Fatboy, wide open
Blade: Aussie Spoiler, probably around 8 but still going.

Brush: Semogue LE Boar
Soap/Cream: Proraso original soap
Razor: Krona
Blade: PSS

Travelling again so dug out my travel shave kit

Tabac with travel badger
Super iridium
Merkur futur

Hmm not as nice a shave, have got used to the 38c and can no longer get the futur to behave!!

Few days ago finished the eton and changed to the TOBs sandle wood. Hmm not my fav version. Normally like sandle wood

Not much shaving lately, I've been cultivating some new-age stubble. Thought I'd better get it together for the start of the work week though, so I went with:

Brush:
Vie-Long brown horse hair travel brush
Soap/Cream: Erasmic shave stick
Razor: iKon SB
Blade: Gillette 'black'
After-shave: TOBS Eton College

Bit of a random collection today, but I've been trialling this Erasmic that I got from PJ in a trade. The Vie-Long travel brush was also a part of that, and it's adorably tiny. It's also perfectly capable at whipping up enough lather for a quick two pass shave, and I quite like the unbleached horse hair. It feels like a really good middle ground between badger and boar, with good firmness and backbone and moderate softness. It's not scrubby, but it's also not soft and gutless. Small knot, small loft, but I suspect the lower loft is the way to go in general for most horse hair brushes to retain a little bit of scritch and that firmness. It did a good job at lathering the Erasmic, which on first impression, is decent but unremarkable. Another "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of soap. That isn't a criticism, as it does make for a perfectly decent shave. It just doesn't have a standout quality or feature. Nice to try it though, and I will keep it in the occasional rotation. Thanks to PJ for the good trade.

The horsey is a good honest brush. And great little face latherer. Glad you like it. I just found with all my other great little face latherers that it just wasn't getting enough use. Erasmic is a good workable soap. I'm sure if there weren't dozens of others to choose from I'd be quite happy with it.

For some reason the Maltese/Dark Platinums don't like the Open Combs - at least my common-bar NEW is not much fun. Cannot remember if I sent you a White Platinum but that will be much better than the Malteser.
What is this 'Malteser' you speak of?

Spoke to the tool machinist tonight.
He is contemplating the idea, yet expressed that having these done as a batch via CNC machining would be a cheaper option considering it's $100 an hour by memory for his labour, either with CNC or manually manufacturing them.
Will speak to him later in the week, yet he is after an idea of numbers to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.