Recommended lather bowls?

Continuing on, there are heaps of offerings on Etsy, starting (for instance) here or here.

This is kind of cool:
il_1588xN.1829872032_if40.jpg

Ugh, that really gets my trypophobia going...

Last edited:
I've seen these bowls advertised as lather bowls, and was looking for the original Japanese source, but couldn't find the name. "Suribachi"... Thanks for that! Although, I wonder whether it would be too harsh on your brush. Do you use one?

I actually just spent an excessive amount of money and purchased a Captain's Choice copper lather bowl from the US. I read all the positive reviews on "that other shaving site" and just "bit the bullet". I'll let you know how I feel about it when it gets here!

I wonder whether it would be too harsh on your brush. Do you use one?
No, I'm too cheap.
I just use a Yaqi ceramic bowl. It's big and it's heavy...would hurt if I dropped it on my toes.
Some of those Suribachi bowls look quite elegant, though as you say...some of them may be a tad rough? Would need care in picking one.
But I do like your final choice.

No, I'm too cheap.
I just use a Yaqi ceramic bowl. It's big and it's heavy...would hurt if I dropped it on my toes.
Some of those Suribachi bowls look quite elegant, though as you say...some of them may be a tad rough? Would need care in picking one.
But I do like your final choice.
Thanks! I ended up choosing the Captain’s Choice bowl because it’s a purpose-made item and should last a lifetime. I’m still keen to get an interesting bowl 3D printed though if the price comes down a bit.

Argh. The seller of the Captain’s Choice bowl couldn’t post it due to US postal restrictions. :/

What restrictions? Are they still banning flights to Australia because covid is running rampant here unlike in the US where is all hunky dory?

What restrictions? Are they still banning flights to Australia because covid is running rampant here unlike in the US where is all hunky dory?
Apparently the regular US postal service still isn’t doing regular postage to Australia. Only priority express postage which costs significantly more than the item involved. Couriers are an option, but I think that’s too much effort for the seller.

Apparently the regular US postal service still isn’t doing regular postage to Australia. Only priority express postage which costs significantly more than the item involved. Couriers are an option, but I think that’s too much effort for the seller.
I have no issues with Maggard Razors and they do sell Captain Choice lather bowl

I think they've got the wrong end of the stick re the postage, I've recently had packages arrive normally (albeit slowly) via regular US post. But I guess if they won't even bother to try, there's not much you can do about that except try another seller.

If your heart is set on copper, there are cheap options here and here for instance...

Edit: Or, as @SpeedyPC said, you can get the CC copper bowl here, 10 currently in stock.

Last edited:
I think they've got the wrong end of the stick re the postage, I've recently had packages arrive normally (albeit slowly) via regular US post. But I guess if they won't even bother to try, there's not much you can do about that except try another seller.

If your heart is set on copper, there are cheap options here and here for instance...

Edit: Or, as @SpeedyPC said, you can get the CC copper bowl here, 10 currently in stock.
I was buying from a private seller who seems very trustworthy. They said they went to the post office and that’s what the person at the desk told them. He then refunded me fully immediately and apologised. Maybe businesses over there get better service than individuals.

It's just occurred to me that we've come this far in a discussion of lather bowls without once mentioning the Rover bowl.

Rover-Lathering-Bowl.jpg

Perfect for travel or feeding your dog (what it was originally designed for, to slow him down), I can't recommend these highly enough, they lather super-fast. Get them at Artisan Arcade, $13.95 with your next Stirling order.

It's just occurred to me that we've come this far in a discussion of lather bowls without once mentioning the Rover bowl.

Rover-Lathering-Bowl.jpg

Perfect for travel or feeding your dog (what it was originally designed for, to slow him down), I can't recommend these highly enough, they lather super-fast. Get them at Artisan Arcade, $13.95 with your next Stirling order.

Have a look on ebay, they are selling silicon pet bowls with two bowls that fold into one. One side is the ridges for lathering and the other side is plain for your hot water. Perfect for shaving at the campsite.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/353670048145?hash=item525860a991:g:~QQAAOSwy8Bg4pQt