Recommended lather bowls?

Is the Pereira any different to the Chinese knockoffs on eBay?
Pereira is made of plastic material as opposed to the Chinese Captain Choice knock offs which are ceramic and arrive poorly packaged.

Speaking from experience just spend the extra to get genuine as little risk of it arriving in pieces and you support the community or better yet as @Gargravarr suggested try a local pottery place or wait for the P&C Charity Auction as the bowls are truly LE and you'll be supporting a worthy cause. (y)

Im all for the pereira bowl, havent looked at another since and always gives a decent lather without much effort.
Also ive got kiddies into everything and helps its “unbreakable” just wait till the youngest gets a hold of it, he will give them a run for their money

Im all for the pereira bowl, havent looked at another since and always gives a decent lather without much effort.
Also ive got kiddies into everything and helps its “unbreakable” just wait till the youngest gets a hold of it, he will give them a run for their money

Is there any source for the Pereira bowl locally? Postage from the US or Portugal is likely to be a killer!

As I much prefer function over form I was happy to go with a Moroccan style bowl from my local Foodland supermarket. It cost me all of $4 and has great ridges in it where the glaze has been placed. I can whip up a great lather in no time at all. The only disappointment was there were better-looking bowls there with really nice Moroccan patterns and colours on them, but they were smooth on the inside.

The cheapest and most portable lather bowl :)

evuJoF5.png

Jokes aside they are all good recommendations. If you can hang out for the P&C Charity Auction there is always some awesome hardware for auction including local handmade pottery and last two years a Fine lather bowl from vshod.
The Turkish dimpled bowls are a good cheap alternative while you wait for P&C auction. Pereira and Timeless are good options.
The collapsible puppy feed bowls are a good travel bowl.
Some use kitchen bowls from ramekin to massive soup/spaghetti bowls
Join a local pottery class and make your own

I find bowl lathering is about technique more than shape, size, bumps. lumps, lines, squiggles, patterns or ridges.
Spreading the soap thinly while squishing into the bottom of the bowl to start breaking it down and making it more consistent and easier for the brush. If you leave a lump it will take longer, lather less and probably have 1/2 left in the bottom of the bowl when rinsing out.

I’ll probably just wait for the P&C auction.

To be honest, I’m not particularly fussy with my shaving and get good lather on my face or in a random bowl, but it’s just nice to have a purpose made bowl purely for the satisfaction and aesthetics.

The cheapest and most portable lather bowl :)

evuJoF5.png

Jokes aside they are all good recommendations. If you can hang out for the P&C Charity Auction there is always some awesome hardware for auction including local handmade pottery and last two years a Fine lather bowl from vshod.
The Turkish dimpled bowls are a good cheap alternative while you wait for P&C auction. Pereira and Timeless are good options.
The collapsible puppy feed bowls are a good travel bowl.
Some use kitchen bowls from ramekin to massive soup/spaghetti bowls
Join a local pottery class and make your own

I find bowl lathering is about technique more than shape, size, bumps. lumps, lines, squiggles, patterns or ridges.
Spreading the soap thinly while squishing into the bottom of the bowl to start breaking it down and making it more consistent and easier for the brush. If you leave a lump it will take longer, lather less and probably have 1/2 left in the bottom of the bowl when rinsing out.

Great summary!

I recall pricing a one off of that design a year or so ago via an online 3D prototyping place, and it was pretty expensive. However if you find somewhere that will knock out half a dozen at an OK price I'm in! Still pretty much a Pereira rip off tho'...

Yeah. If we get a few interested parties, we could probably get them printed at a reasonable price. I just don’t know enough about 3D printing to take responsibility for a group order.

Also, I went down the “rabbit hole” and watched this guy’s autism-level lather bowl YT videos… I’d say it’s parallel evolution rather than a rip off.