Razorock Stealth - my 2 cents worth

Great review!!!

Another great review - and I totally agree, that the large head is the weakest point of the razor and needs some practice to get used to.

The shallow angle on the other hand I find great, being as lazy as I am :)

Now the weight issue is a double edged sword: the stainless steel DLC slant is a lot heavier, and while it might give the unpracticed user a closer shave, it takes away from the main feature: ease/speed of use. No razor that I have tried gives such a quick hassle free shave...

But again you are absolutely right: this razor is not the weapon of choice if you only want a BBS and don't care about time/ease of shave.

I agree making it all stainless would detract from its appeal as a quick shaver. That said if you were after a light, quick and efficient shave I would recommend a Gillette new short comb instead. Again the stealth is a razor I like to use but not one I would rush out and buy.

I can see that if you are used to a cart this would be a highlight or at least an ease-of-use feature. But it could also distract from learning a good angle for the usual DE razors. That said, a good shaver adapts and refines their technique to the razor.

So this is easier - or at least more comfortable & straight forward - to use than the Merkur 37c/39c. But it won't give as efficient a shave as the other slants. Seems like it's more hype than substance!?! There are many other razors in the same price point (Weber, Standard, #102, #101, etc) that would deliver a more rounded shave. Is that a fair call?

I don't know about carts - last time I used one I was still...OK let's just say more than 2 decades ago. For me, in order to achieve the right angle with many DE's I force myself to lift up my elbows - it is just easier to have a flat angle razor and relax my elbows...

And again no other razor (for me) can be used as carelessly. As for efficiency - recently I tried the Slant on 8 days of growth - after the first pass my face looked like every other shave. Don't think you can do that with any closed comb or non slant. The 37c for me was always a pain and I never got a super close shave like with my R1 ATT or even my Weber. The only other contender for me would be the Hoffritz travel slant, but you trade a bit more closeness with a bit more effort.

I agree making it all stainless would detract from its appeal as a quick shaver. That said if you were after a light, quick and efficient shave I would recommend a Gillette new short comb instead. Again the stealth is a razor I like to use but not one I would rush out and buy.

Unfortunately I never had real success with the NEW - yes it gives a close shave, but I always have to be careful and it simply never felt smooth. Again I'd rather take my ATT for a super close but also smooth shave.

Having said all this: as with everything interesting and personal in life: YMMV - in this case because we all have different skin, beard and techniques - else we would all rush out and buy the latest Mach200 and the McDonalds of this world would have a field day ;)

Last edited:
Funny you mention that, as I've not shaved since xmas eve until tonight and my slim shady smashed it back with out issue.
Then again, it might be The Blade, aka Light Brigades!

As for efficiency - recently I tried the Slant on 8 days of growth - after the first pass my face looked like every other shave. Don't think you can do that with any closed comb or non slant. The 37c for me was always a pain and I never got a super close shave like with my R1 ATT or even my Weber. The only other contender for me would be the Hoffritz travel slant, but you trade a bit more closeness with a bit more effort.
There are actually quite a few slants these days that are available:
iKon Slant (SS/DLC)
iKon #102
Merkur 37c/39c
RRSS
ATT slant head
Vintage slants (Bakelite, Hoffritz, Etc)

(Maggards is also working on a cheap slant razor as well; it will be released soon)

That is quite a few slants to choose from...

I've got the #102 slant head coming soon so it'll be good to compare it to the RRSS and 37c. I've heard lots of positive reviews of the iKon #102.

I was actually very much looking forward to the ATT slant, but after the reviews I think I'll give it a pass...

These are my impressions of the Razorock stealth slant. (The RRSS is sometimes available here at Italian Barber or at BSTs). I greatly thank @Lifes a Peach for his generosity in lending me his razor.

I also want to say that I will be very honest about my thoughts of this razor. My thoughts may not match other people's thoughts, so take that into account. I have wanted and tried to buy this razor since just after its first release. So I've been following its development and the reviews for a long time (almost a year). That means, I'm going into this review favourably inclined towards this razor. I liked it before I held it and used it. Please keep that in mind.

I also did not go back and re-read all the reviews listed above in this thread or others posted elsewhere. This review is my personal thoughts and opinions as I used the RRSS over two weeks. So it is interesting to go back just now as I post this, and read all the reviews and comments. I would say that I am echoing (sometimes amplifying) what other people have already experienced and acknowledged.

Razorock Stealth Slant Version 3 Aluminium

ceECJU3.png

Appearance and Feel
For me personally, I do not like the aesthetic design of the handle; it is not very pleasant to look at. It looks better in the photos. IMO it comes across as being designed to be functional first and foremost. The horizontal "ring" grooves are very grippy, but it doesn't feel nice to hold with the fingers. It feels a little rough or edgy to the touch. It's not a pleasurable tactile experience. So the handle is safe in the finger tips, but isn't as enjoyable to hold as most razor handles.

The top cap of the razor (as it sits on the base plate) is approx a millimetre short on either side. It looks poorly made and is not nice look for an US$80 razor. The whole head looks chunky. (I don't know why some of the bulk could have been trimmed; I know that some of the revisions have been to the head.)

The balance is neutral. It's very light, and feels light. The Standard razor (also aluminium) is about the same weight. But since the RRSS appears chunky, you expect it to be heavier than what it is. So comparatively it feels lighter than The Standard. It's a strange feeling as you hold it. I feel that the Standard is a better balanced aluminium razor.

In contrast to the design of the Standard Razor which is aesthetically and functionally pleasing, the RRSS lacks. (It is the proverbial PC to the Apple.)

The shave
It feels light like a cartridge razor, and it behaves like a cartridge razor in the shave.

The blade gap is very small. So even though it's a slant razor with a twisted blade, it makes for a very comfortable shave. As a slant, it's efficient at cutting the hair; but only when it does cut the hair. It is a comfortable shaver; but IMO too comfortable (as you will read below).

It has a very narrow cutting angle. If you hold the handle too close or too high to the skin, then the razor passes over your hair and simply leaves trails of lather. You have to maintain a very tight angle (within 8-15 degrees I estimate) in order to cut the hair (and remove the lather).

This means that if you draw the razor over your skin and you have the angle incorrect, the razor simply smooths the lather. This encourages you to return over the same spot until you achieve the correct angle and "wipe" the lather off. So you may go over a section several times.

Further, because it is comfortable to shave with (you don't feel like cutting yourself), it means you are more inclined to repeatedly shave the same area (or apply more pressure). This is exactly how you would shave with a cartridge razor. In addition, because of the narrow blade gap, it means it clogs up (like a cartridge razor).

I repeat what other say: due to the bulky head, it doesn't shave well under my nose.

When I shaved a two day growth, it was a generous 3 passes to smoothness. And post-shave I can still feel a few areas that it missed.

My honest thoughts
I wouldn't pay more than US$50 for this. (In fact, I notice that Italian Barber is now selling the "Baby Smooth". It is a US$45 aluminium razor that has the same handle as the RRSS but a different head. So I feel paying US$50 for the RRSS is entirely appropriate and justifiable price wise.) For the asking price of US$75-80 I would want a better designed (The Standard) or more solid razor (stainless steel Weber PH) for my money.

I am disappointed by the business model of this razor's release. Even now, almost a year after it's release, it is only a "prototype" and is only released in batches. That's just crazy. For me, I see it as a marketing strategy that peeves off the customer rather than promotes wet shaving.

I would redesign the head and handle aesthetically and not copy directly the old Bakelite slant it replicates. Keep the slant design, but make it fit the material and the modern era of razor technology.

I would also increase the blade gap thereby increasing the cutting angle and make the user slow down their repeating shave strokes. (Speaking out loud... I wonder if this is what has been done with the new IB razor? My guess is yes.)

As it is, it makes for a lazy shave. You would reach for this if you wanted a quick, no brain involved shave. For me, it's not a pleasurable shave, but a functional shave. The aesthetics and behaviour of this razor do not give me a love of wet shaving like so many other razors do. It reminds me strongly of a cartridge razor; too light, too comfortable, too tame.

My Conclusion
I said it'd be no-holds-barred review and it was. I feel the RRSS disappointed me. Perhaps I had too much expectation riding on this razor. (But the expectation was only increased by the limited-release-in-batches business model!) As others have said before: the hype generated didn't match the performance.

Of course, if you wanted to make it work you could. Spending time getting the technique down pat would result in better and better shaves. But it's not a natural DE razor as it has a few quirks you need to work through.

That all said, I feel that this razor would suit someone moving from cartridges to safety razors. Or wanted a light travel razor. Or wanted a quick shave in a rush. The disclaimer is that these "someones" would have to wait until it is available and fork over close to $100 Aussie dollars when they could simply purchase another suitable razor for half the price.

Edits: Minor typos

Could it be, that somebody is unhappy for not getting one in the first place ;)

But seriously, I love the razor and I agree with most of what you said. It is perfect for a hurry, travels etc., but not for your 1 hour Sunday pampering shave...

What I don't agree with though: I would never recommend it to somebody starting out with DE's as it will ruin your technique...

And if you like it or not: it is a very unique razor and has a very unique shave feel - for that alone Joe should be applauded.

BTW: your price are wrong, it was always 35US$ shipping for the razor to Australia...all tracked etc. So even the V1 was 85US$...

Could it be, that somebody is unhappy for not getting one in the first place ;)

But seriously, I love the razor and I agree with most of what you said. It is perfect for a hurry, travels etc., but not for your 1 hour Sunday pampering shave...
Haha! Bitter? Me!? [emoji6] Initially (say after the first couple of releases) yes, but after a while (6 months or so) I began to be come "OK, I'll wait until it is released properly- not as a work in progress". But that never came and I don't understand why? Why does Joe still not release it properly? It's a business model that I don't agree with.

Anyway, I have always been keen on it and excited for it. I was disappointed not getting one initially but that faded with time so I was just keen.

What I don't agree with though: I would never recommend it to somebody starting out with DE's as it will ruin your technique...

And if you like it or not: it is a very unique razor and has a very unique shave feel - for that alone Joe should be applauded.
yes, it is unique (as much as it copies the Bakelite slant it is replicating). It's been great of Joe to bring it into production. [emoji106]

But that's interesting - are you saying that you'd never recommend it for a new wet shaver?! Why?

BTW: your price are wrong, it was always 35US$ shipping for the razor to Australia...all tracked etc. So even the V1 was 85US$...
I've never been able to see it in stock let alone add it to my shopping cart @alfredus. [emoji14] I don't know anything about shipping costs; I just listed the advertised price.

Ok ^^^ well, it seems obvious. Anyway, for some reason we are having a circular argument. Time for a beer mate... Care to join me? [emoji482]

I'm not going to repeat what has already been said in the reviews from @Lifes a Peach here, @Young Buck here and @filobiblic here.

The design you will either like or loathe aesthetically - I think it is a little polarising. As the first black razor on my bench I actually like the look of it.

The feel is VERY light. I've used lighter aluminum Gillettes that feel heavier!

You can use it with a gentle touch like a 'normal' DE but I think that the tendency is that you will use like a cart and drag it around your face - it just has that feel about it.

In doing so you will be unlikely to cut yourself. The blade is well protected and the shave is fairly innocuous - although reasonably effective I have to admit, once you get the angles right.

The key question - would I buy one? No.

Why? Well if it wasn't a slant it would not get any attention and just be a nice, mild razor if you wanted a light one with a particular look. It would not be anything special. Because it is a slant it gets a lot more attention and does work that little more effectively.

The need to get the angles right though means it is not a simple razor to use although you would get the hang of it BUT why bother?

If you want aggressive - this would not be for you, get a R41 or something

If you want mild - get a mild non-slant razor for a lot less without the need to learn the angles

If you want something to begin with - don't learn on this, it will reinforce bad habits

Thanks to those involved in getting this into my hands to try :)

The design you will either like or loathe aesthetically - I think it is a little polarising. As the first black razor on my bench I actually like the look of it.
Totally agree - unique design and stands out

The feel is VERY light. I've used lighter aluminum Gillettes that feel heavier!
Absolutely - an alu tech feels almost like a sledgehammer in comparison - I think it is due to the enormous size of the razor

You can use it with a gentle touch like a 'normal' DE but I think that the tendency is that you will use like a cart and drag it around your face - it just has that feel about it.

In doing so you will be unlikely to cut yourself. The blade is well protected and the shave is fairly innocuous - although reasonably effective I have to admit, once you get the angles right.
Again absolutely correct - BUT IMO: by not using too much pressure you somehow get a closer shave...

The key question - would I buy one? No.

Why? Well if it wasn't a slant it would not get any attention and just be a nice, mild razor if you wanted a light one with a particular look. It would not be anything special. Because it is a slant it gets a lot more attention and does work that little more effectively.

The need to get the angles right though means it is not a simple razor to use although you would get the hang of it BUT why bother?

If you want aggressive - this would not be for you, get a R41 or something

If you want mild - get a mild non-slant razor for a lot less without the need to learn the angles

I think that's just because you have too many razors :)

But I still I have this question: which "mild" - I really don't like this term, because it is so misleading - so let's re-phrase...

Which razor is as effective as this one in mowing down any kind of growth, also with coarse hair - yet so forgiving and after getting the correct angle - dead easy to use?

And for bonus points: is out of a material that does not need any special attention. You can for example let soap scum build on it for months - just some hot water and dish washing soap and it will look like the day you got it (I have tried it)

If you want something to begin with - don't learn on this, it will reinforce bad habits
Again 100% agree with that, have tried to make this point for months now.

And in case you are wondering: I will not let it go of my last one unless you have one in mind that full fills the above criteria including the bonus points :) :) :)

You gonna give it more of a run @Mark1966 or you already convinced.

Done, time to move on ...

But I still I have this question: which "mild" - I really don't like this term, because it is so misleading - so let's re-phrase...

Which razor is as effective as this one in mowing down any kind of growth, also with coarse hair - yet so forgiving and after getting the correct angle - dead easy to use?

And for bonus points: is out of a material that does not need any special attention. You can for example let soap scum build on it for months - just some hot water and dish washing soap and it will look like the day you got it (I have tried it)

I agree that 'mild' is a problematic term. Aggressive is too but I think we have some agreement on razors like the R41 and Barbasol or an adjustable dialled right up being 'aggressive' in the way it can take the top layer of skin as it gives you a close shave.

I used the RRSS with two blades, Personna 'Lab' Blue and Feather over four days or so shaving each day. I have a coarse beard but shaved daily and it was certainly a close shave (generally some spots needed special attention) but still the 5 O'clock shadow appeared on time. That is just my beard.

Which razor is:
  1. as effective [with any kind of growth - hard to ascertain really without more evidence]
  2. forgiving
  3. dead easy to use
  4. does not require any special attention
My first choice would be a President, followed closely by a British Aristocrat #22/66

Throw in a Rocket HD or even a British Fat Handled Tech as lower price point options and I think you have some alternatives :)

I agree that 'mild' is a problematic term. Aggressive is too but I think we have some agreement on razors like the R41 and Barbasol or an adjustable dialled right up being 'aggressive' in the way it can take the top layer of skin as it gives you a close shave.

I used the RRSS with two blades, Personna 'Lab' Blue and Feather over four days or so shaving each day. I have a coarse beard but shaved daily and it was certainly a close shave (generally some spots needed special attention) but still the 5 O'clock shadow appeared on time. That is just my beard.

Which razor is:
  1. as effective [with any kind of growth - hard to ascertain really without more evidence]
  2. forgiving
  3. dead easy to use
  4. does not require any special attention
My first choice would be a President, followed closely by a British Aristocrat #22/66

Throw in a Rocket HD or even a British Fat Handled Tech as lower price point options and I think you have some alternatives :)

I have never tried a President or Aristocrat (any for that mater), but both the HD and the all Techs.

The HD is IMO not as "effective", ie. have to work harder on my coarse beard, the Tech (and I know this sounds wrong, but I find it true) is not as forgiving...

I (or more my face) hate feathers - the RR slant is the only razor I can use them without causing a blood bath (still don't enjoy them)...not with a Fat handled Tech though (I have tried 3 variants and prefer most the British).

So I guess I have to work another 5 years on my technique and when I can use feathers with a Tech we can have this discussion again :)

Yeah I get that @alfredus I wasn't claiming that I'd done an exhaustive study and was relying on memory for the results from the others.

Once you get the hang of it the RRSS can be very effective - but it takes you out of the normal realm of how most razors work to get that result. Not sure I like that.

Of course since you cannot deny my assertions in relation to the President and Aristocrat I win - with bonus points. Now what is my prize ? :)

Yeah I get that @alfredus I wasn't claiming that I'd done an exhaustive study and was relying on memory for the results from the others.

Once you get the hang of it the RRSS can be very effective - but it takes you out of the normal realm of how most razors work to get that result. Not sure I like that.

Of course since you cannot deny my assertions in relation to the President and Aristocrat I win - with bonus points. Now what is my prize ? :)

Your grand prize is.....(drum rolls)....you never ever have to use the RR slant again - EVER :)

As a bonus price: you can send me some Presidents and Aristocrats for a FREE evaluation :) :) :)