October 2014 Acquisitions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just made my first (That I recall) order from menzbiz

Lay some mentholated aftershaves on me boys. My Proraso splash is nearly a dead duck. has the proraso asb got a kick?

First? Where's that ban stick?

Balm does not kick. Splash. Or try Speick, or Floid - the Vigoroso. Sounds manly doesn't it?

Not shaving related but picked up an iPhone 6 Plus yesterday.

Very, very happy camper!

What was your previous phone, is it for sale? My dog jumped up and knocked my Nexus 4 out of my hands the other day and smashed the screen into a million pieces.

I'm wondering about trying to repair my phone myself, but I don't think I have the patience to do it looking at the youtube clips on how to do it.

What was your previous phone, is it for sale? My dog jumped up and knocked my Nexus 4 out of my hands the other day and smashed the screen into a million pieces.

I'm wondering about trying to repair my phone myself, but I don't think I have the patience to do it looking at the youtube clips on how to do it.

My old phone was an iPhone 4S so a couple of generations jump. Not sure what work will do with it - I may need to keep as a backup

I've gone back to my backup phone which was a POS Motorola. It is now so slow and unresponsive, and reboots itself umpteen times per day.

I tried upgrading it to Cyanogenmod it was that bad, but it hasn't improved things much. (I realise that won't mean much to an Apple user)

I've gone back to my backup phone which was a POS Motorola. It is now so slow and unresponsive, and reboots itself umpteen times per day.

I tried upgrading it to Cyanogenmod it was that bad, but it hasn't improved things much. (I realise that won't mean much to an Apple user)

Nope - over my head!

I confess that I've hated the iPhones I had previously when we transferred across from Blackberry but this one I like. Maybe I'm getting old but the big screen is great ....

Haven't you got mobile phone repair stalls in every shopping centre when they fix a screen in 15 mins in Darwin? Both my daughters have smashed screens ( I pay for the first after that it is up to them) and in both cases 15 mins and $80 later it is done

..........Both my daughters have smashed screens ( I pay for the first after that it is up to them) and in both cases 15 mins and $80 later it is done

Yeah right! Sounds like tough love. I'm sure the $80 gets amply funded from raiding dads tray full of loose change shrapnel.

.... I'm sure the $80 gets amply funded from raiding dads tray full of loose change shrapnel.

Is THAT where it goes!

I keep putting money in that tray in the cars but there is never enough there when I need it ...

Nope - over my head!
Haven't you got mobile phone repair stalls in every shopping centre when they fix a screen in 15 mins in Darwin?

There are a couple of places, but like everything else in Darwin, you are charged a load more than elsewhere in the country.

When my wife smashed the screen on her phone, we worked out there was a $20 saving in getting the phone repaired compared to just replacing it.

Along with a Whipped dog
$39 USD - Resin brush #R24BW w/silvertip knot drilled for a 50mm loft (includes $4 shipping & $5 drill fee)
According to reviews beats some of the more expensive badger brushes.
Will post pics when it arrives

Waiting patiently for this little baby to arrive

I was jsut waiting patiently for the video to finish! 1:39 on a razor?

Along with a Whipped dog
$39 USD - Resin brush #R24BW w/silvertip knot drilled for a 50mm loft (includes $4 shipping & $5 drill fee)
According to reviews beats some of the more expensive badger brushes.
Will post pics when it arrives

Good stuff. Please post a review along with the pics. That'd be great!

+1 to what Filo said.

Larry@WD is meant to do some very good quality products, universally acclaimed at YKW. Whoever has the drill press is making a killing at $5 to pull it down and take 10mm of plastic out. Thats the only thing I found a bit of a turn off - if it was wood I'd understand as you'd have to sand to finish it etc but plastic is so simple to drill. Still even that added on it's a very compelling pricepoint for such a well regarded product. Great choice in handle too.

$239 at one place to replace my phone screen, and $189 at another.

At those prices I think I will be reporting the purchase of a new phone here soon.

$239 at one place to replace my phone screen, and $189 at another.

At those prices I think I will be reporting the purchase of a new phone here soon.

You could try a post it to them place like this or this maybe? Around $129 seems to be the going rate

Thats a fair bit cheaper. Thanks @Mark1966 - I'll have to see if I can find someone who lives close to one of those that would be willing to drop it in and send back to me.

Screen replacements are bloody tricky for a lot of devices - dunno about the Nexus 4. There's been some unlocked Moto G's going for near sub-$200 prices recently and they're meant to be a great phone for that money. I'd normally say roll the dice on repairing it yourself but often part is priced so high that the risk vs reward isn't worth it - especially when liberally sprinked with hassle. Check Ozbargain out for some recent mobile deals, they've usually got good stuff.

It's around $60 for the parts on ebay. The youtube clips I have seen have been heavily edited, yet still take 20-30 mins to show how to do the repair.
For less than a couple of hours pay (and I am sure it would take me far longer) I am very tempted to get it done.

Well if you're thinking of getting repaired I'd go with Mark's links rather than a DIY - very easy to stuff up the repairs yourself as the makers seem to deliberately make them buggers to fix - plus potential of damaged parts in transit etc.

Not sure how the Nexus 4 compares to what you'd get for ~$200 eg moto g - as after $130 you'll still have same aged -old phone just with $130 extra plowwed into it i.e is a replacement a most prudent move than repair cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.