COFFEE

Hmmm... "Recycle"...
Anyway, skepticism aside, does that mean you're always having to buy from a bricks & mortar Nespresso store? Seems like a nice little lock in.

As with any recycling initiative there's a certain amount of dedication required from the consumer. According to their blurb 40% of the aluminium components used in their machines is made from recycled pods. In Europe (well Amsterdam at least) they do a pick up service of used pods when you get pods delivered to your house.

Furthermore, the online price of pods is the same as the shops so, aside from having to carry in a bag of used pods every time, there's no benefit to them if you use their stores or not. If you order 200 pods online there is no postage. Of course I could just not believe them but being such a big conglomerate, any scandal highlighting any recycling bullshit would be seriously damaging to them. In the first instance I'm willing to believe them until I hear of evidence to the contrary. Aluminium is worth quite a lot as far as metals go.

Last edited:
And they are trying to DRM the coffee pods too.

They're not only trying, it forms the basis of how the machine works. The pod gets punctured both ends so it's an inbuilt DRM. They recycle the aluminium the pods are made of.

Please. Lie down before you hurt yourself.
Bahahaha. I am fine.

I agree that you can sometimes get varying quality with the batches of specialty coffee (and I use that term loosely for Toby's particularly). But that goes with many things: craft beer, artisan soap, restaurant food. By the same logic you would be drinking New, using Gillette foam and eating at McDonalds.
Not at all. You can get dependable & consistent product quality from Artisans (see aforementioned ONA). But yeah, I don't call Tobys or Campos as 'artisan' either. They are just a larger company with reasonable market penetration, making up one of the largest 4 suppliers of beans in the local market. It's just my opinion that the Vittoria beans are the most consistent, and supply reliable beans you can get.

Here is a test: roasted coffee is best used about 10 days after roasting, and should always be ground directly into the basket (rather than having it sit in the doser for a while). If your barista can't tell you the roast date of the coffee, and they aren't grinding on demand, then they aren't getting the best out of their beans. In theory it is possible to get an ok cup from Vittoria beans (they are seriously over roasted though), but usually the coffee is super old and has been sitting in the doser for a while.

Yep, I know all about the 10 day rule. Again, a rule of thumb but it generally applies in most cases. None of my favoured cafes use dosers at all, and I would never use one either. That said if they have serious throughput then it is beneficial as a business to have one as it is sitting in the hopper for 2-3 minutes at most. My local Vittoria place up the road does a minimum 60kg per week, I think the highest in recent times was 73kg for the week. So yeah, it doesn't sit very long at all, in fact when I get there at 8am he is usually pouring in the 4th-5th bag of the day.. Delivered Tuesday and Friday.

I sat down with my local guy up the road, he was approached by another provider to switch to their beans instead. Now these are french-roasted beans - yes, roasted in France, then put into a container for a 6-week maturation on the Emma Maersk to Sydney. We tested the Vittoria beans against this new company's beans in a separate grinder, did a full clean of the machine (3 group heads, maintained separate heads for testing). I jumped behind the counter at 6am on a Saturday morning and we started cupping. Of each bean I pulled a short, a long, then 2 standard shots made to macchiato & latte which is their two biggest sellers. We cupped each one against the other and found that the Latte worked really well with the new beans with some of the fruitiness coming through - and a number of customers who are Latte/Cap people also liked it but not necessarily over the Vittoria. Otherwise, all the other cups were vastly outclassed by the Vittoria. I will come back to this below.

I agree that the Vittoria Espresso is over-roasted - I hate the stuff and will walk out of any shop selling it. My local uses the Oro and it is vastly superior in almost every way. It does pretty much everything well which is not easy to do. It's only the Dopio and Ristretto which it fails at.

Generally, the standard of people making coffee in Sydney has risen substantially in the last 5 years. Before moving down to Sydney I would have said no immigrant Asian has ever made a good coffee, now I cannot say that. Coffee Culture has really permeated the Asian (and more specifically, Chinese) community and while I see lots in GJ's & SB's and the like, there are plenty haunting the better cafe's now and I am seeing many more behind the counter with some very decent skills. Still not to Melbourne quality, but it's catching up for sure.

Once you learn to identify the taste difference between fresh and stale coffee, there is no going back. Stale coffee has a very distinctive taste to it. On top of that, most places that use Vittoria don't have particularly skilled barristers either, as they aren't that passionate about their coffee.

Yep, old coffee is horrible. I knew a couple distributing coffee around my local area before coming to Sydney, and they dropped into a cafe in a smaller town about 30 minutes away. They had a chat and left them a kilo of their standard bean to test out. About 30 minutes later they got a phone call - "Hey your beans have gone bad!" After asking some more questions on why they thought that to be the case, the answer came that there was this yellow stuff coming out of the machine. Turns out it was crema and the beans they had been using were so damn old they couldn't get any crema out of them - it was just black.

So yes, in some places there is absolutely a lack of care, detail, knowledge and passion. I find the bigger concern is the cleanliness of the machine. The number one issue I see is really badly cleaned steam wands, baskets & portafilters with oil scum all over them and barely able to pass water resulting in percolating and backflushing it further into the machine - just disgusting. I would hazard a guess that most of these 'bad' places have no idea what a backflush basket is, or if they even have one. You cannot taste a clean & well maintained machine but I sure as hell can taste a filthy machine.

Maybe I should take that lie down now. Bring me a Bex & and a short black while you are at it.

So anyway. I will clarify my previous statement about starting a cafe with Vittoria. You get a brand new machine & grinder, and regular maintenance and parts included. They usually send out new portafilters, baskets & screens every 6 months. If the machine breaks, they turn up within 3 hours with another one. So from that angle - peace of mind. You have reliable machines, reliable supply of beans, and consistent input product. You also get free Vittoria branded cups, saucers etc to serve it in, and discounted takeaway consumables including sugar tubes. All you have to do is order the beans & consumables, and milk from your milk vendor. Done.

New company came in to my local, offering $15K cash grant to change over (cash to replace machine & grinder that has to go back to Vittoria). Vittoria counter offered $30K cash to stay with them and offered to replace the not even 2-year old machine with a new one. When you spend $100K per year on beans alone (3.4 Tonnes p.a.), that is a significant saving. The new company kept upping their offer to try an match it but you end up with old beans (could sit there for up to 10 weeks here trying to maintain stock and it's already 6 weeks old at the dock) and inconsistent supply (shipping issues, customs clearance issues alone would see some unavailability). And then you would have to go and buy Vittoria again through retail/service and not at the contracted direct price.

So yes, I would only ever use Vittoria to start a cafe. After a couple of years (and some big cashbacks) I would have enough to buy my own equipment & chose my own supplier.

(Coffee has been a hobby of mine much longer than shaving has... Can you tell? ;)

Yep, has been for me too. Worked in an Italian restaurant behind the machine (and bar) while at Uni. We were using Grinders then which was pretty decent - I believe there was some sort of family or village link between the restaurant and the Grinders guys.

Just for those interstate heathens - read this.

Take heart @stillshunter - we are on top of the world!
Weird mate I've never found a decent coffee in this (god-forsaken) town. I've had degrees of burnt but nothing like I've tasted in the streets of Newtown or graffitied back-alleys of Melbourne. Hmmm...shall we make the next meet up (for B&M exchange) at this hipster dive in......Manuka isn't it?

I got so sick of the varying degrees of burnt water over stale beans, made by 15 year old "baristas", so I started roasting my own green beans.

I bought a few kilos of various organic brands from central and south America, as well as PNG.

Using the trusty $9 popcorn machine, I make bags of about 250g of beans at a batch, and shelve them for a week to let the CO2 escape.

We mostly use a plunger at home, but I have also been making my own pods for work. The coffee is so much smoother than the pesticide - laden offerings from Nestle.

I've just finished with Guatemala, and the next stop is Peru!

I got so sick of the varying degrees of burnt water over stale beans, made by 15 year old "baristas", so I started roasting my own green beans.

I bought a few kilos of various organic brands from central and south America, as well as PNG.

Using the trusty $9 popcorn machine, I make bags of about 250g of beans at a batch, and shelve them for a week to let the CO2 escape.

We mostly use a plunger at home, but I have also been making my own pods for work. The coffee is so much smoother than the pesticide - laden offerings from Nestle.

I've just finished with Guatemala, and the next stop is Peru!

Nice!

I roast too. I tried a popcorn maker way back when, but found that it roasted too quickly (around the 5 minute mark). How do you slow it down?

I first started roasting on a converted BBQ with some mates (think a rotisserie, but a stainless steel drum instead of a chicken). Had a little business going for friends and family. Could roast 1.8kg of green beans at a time. We ended up making a second one so we could multitask!

Anyway, have since got a behmor 1600 plus, and it is excellent. I highly recommend it if you ever think of upgrading your roaster. Can do bigger loads (up to 400g green), the heat is adjustable, it's very consistent and is easy to use.

I've thought about the Behmor as well. Out of my price range at the moment.

I find that the popper takes about 7 minutes to second crack... the heating unit must be a little smaller than the one you may have used. I don't slow it down at all. I just wait for the rice bubbles sound, wait another 20-30 seconds, then into the colander.

I have also looked at the rotisserie option. The wife is off to China for a buying spree shortly for work, so I might get her to pick one or 2 up for me.

Something like this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/141542195665?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It certainly won't cost that much over there.

You go 30 seconds into second crack? That's quite dark... Do you find that you get a lot of oil leaching out the beans? I usually go just before second crack starts, and try and get that in about 13 minutes or so. So I can see and smell the smoke just before second, and then I start the cooling cycle, and I may get one or two snaps of second, but that's it. Even that is a lot darker than what most specialty coffee roasters are doing these days, but I prefer it that way for milk coffees.

That roaster looks interesting. I imagine you would have no control over the heat though... That's not necessarily a deal breaker, as by adding more beans you will slow down the roast (all other things being held equal).

A Behmor is a lot cheaper than a shopping spree in China too...

I'm on the Behmor, and am still not happy with the roasts I get out of it - I was doing far better with a corretto (bread maker and heat gun).
Behmor roasts have been taking close to 18 minutes for me with FC at about 13-14 mins and SC approaching the 18 min mark.

Tempted with getting the new electronics panel as that seems to offer more operator control.

How much green beans are you using? Sounds like close to the full pound.

Drop back the weight to about 300g of green, and you should get down to about the 13-15 min mark for SC.

I like the manual controls of the plus, but that is because I used to roast manually in a BBQ, so I know what I'm after. Full heat until FC, then drop back until nearly at SC, then stop. You could achieve that with profile 2 and some faffing about, but you had to predict FC, and it's easier to simply go by sight, sound and smell.

Man you guys are SERIOUS!

Reactions: MrT
I have to say I think it's interesting that there's such a high number of home roasters here (I'm one too - corretto) - I'm not going to crunch the stats on it but I'm sure that you be a massive over-representation vs the general population - meaning that folks who really get into wetshaving are likely to be equally drawn to home roasting - which I guess kind makes sense when you look at the personality attributes.

7 mins to 2nd crack is far too rapid - @eggbert was basically bang on with the 'best practice' times for these....but thats one of the drawbacks of the popcorn roasters, not much control over them.

2 questions for you fellow home roasters:

1) Where do you get your green beans from? I've used a bunch of places...trying to local outlet now to save on postal costs but their beans are a tad mediocre IMHO.

2) Do you guys blend pre-roast or post-roast or stick with single origin? I tend to do the former - does give more 'complexity' to the roast but you'll never get the best from the beans - but I can't justify doing 3-4 roasts with a few 100g in each. I normally roast around 500g total at a time.

I've not yet gotten into home roasting but have been about to jump (literally on the edge) with a Behmoor.

What stopped me? A mate gave me a Behmoor that had an electrical fault. I took it to a sparky - but they wanted to charge before looking at it, and then with parts on top it would be over half the cost new. I called Andy of CoffeeSnobs who brings in the Behmoor and asked him how I could get it fixed. He told me it's not worth the time or money. Buy a new one and if there's an issue - buy a new one.

So paying for a $500 machine that lasts 2-4 years (perhaps 3 years on average) didn't seem like a wise idea.

For me, I love the control of gas and I would much rather have a gas system. I'm amazed that no one has come up with a sub-$500 little gas roaster setup.

So that's why I haven't gone any further into HR. (That and I haven't gotten around to finding a popcorn machine...)

I have to say I think it's interesting that there's such a high number of home roasters here (I'm one too - corretto) - I'm not going to crunch the stats on it but I'm sure that you be a massive over-representation vs the general population - meaning that folks who really get into wetshaving are likely to be equally drawn to home roasting - which I guess kind makes sense when you look at the personality attributes.

7 mins to 2nd crack is far too rapid - @eggbert was basically bang on with the 'best practice' times for these....but thats one of the drawbacks of the popcorn roasters, not much control over them.

2 questions for you fellow home roasters:

1) Where do you get your green beans from? I've used a bunch of places...trying to local outlet now to save on postal costs but their beans are a tad mediocre IMHO.

2) Do you guys blend pre-roast or post-roast or stick with single origin? I tend to do the former - does give more 'complexity' to the roast but you'll never get the best from the beans - but I can't justify doing 3-4 roasts with a few 100g in each. I normally roast around 500g total at a time.

1) I used to get them online, usually coffeesnobs or ministrygrounds. But now I buy them off a mate who has started a roasting business, as he sells them to me at wholesale price.

2) same as you. Roasting individually is better (in theory), but I can't be bothered, plus there would be such small quantities that they would probably roast too quickly. But often I don't blend at all, and just use whatever SO I have.

At the moment I am just using single origin. I did do some PNG, Honduran and Peruvian beans last week, with the intention of blending them. Just haven't gotten there yet.

I buy from beangreen.com.au and beans.net.au . I am only chasing organic beans, so supplies tend to be more limited. Coffeesnobs is few and far between for them.

As for the oil leaching out.. it depends on the bean. The PNG ones don't weep as much as the American ones for some reason. I like the dark roasts, so SC+30 suits me well.

First, artisan soaps etc

Now, home roasting coffee

What will @gthomas04 think of this ...

So paying for a $500 machine that lasts 2-4 years (perhaps 3 years on average) didn't seem like a wise idea.

For me, I love the control of gas and I would much rather have a gas system. I'm amazed that no one has come up with a sub-$500 little gas roaster setup.
I agree that type of a cost for a home roaster makes it much less viable - unless you're doing it purely for fun.

I'm sure one could rig something up based around an BBQ rotisserie type design over a gas burner. It'd look ugly as sin but essentially thats all the commercial roasters are a horizontally mounted drum with a few agitators and heat applied - yada yada - a tad oversimplified but if looks are no obstacle and you're handy that easy enough to do.

Thats all why I went for a corretto - very easy to rig up and dirt cheap. $30 for the Ozito heat gun was my only actual cost as got an old unwanted breadmaker off a relo.

1) I used to get them online, usually coffeesnobs or ministrygrounds. But now I buy them off a mate who has started a roasting business, as he sells them to me at wholesale price.
You lucky bugger....mate with a coffee roasting business, ok it's not quite on the top tier with the brewery or 'massage parlour' but definitely a keeper!

I buy from beangreen.com.au and beans.net.au . I am only chasing organic beans, so supplies tend to be more limited. Coffeesnobs is few and far between for them.

As for the oil leaching out.. it depends on the bean. The PNG ones don't weep as much as the American ones for some reason. I like the dark roasts, so SC+30 suits me well.
Well you're prolly all over it - but obviously the darker you go the more the result is indicative of the roast rather than the actual beans - so generally the darker you like it the less bean nuances you'll pick up and you tend to find cheaper beans will be just as good as far more pricey ones.

Yes, I've used Coffee Snobs, Ministry Grounds and BeanGreen. Tend to think the former is the best but shame it's min. 2.5kg lots.

I'm sure one could rig something up based around an BBQ rotisserie type design over a gas burner. It'd look ugly as sin but essentially thats all the commercial roasters are a horizontally mounted drum with a few agitators and heat applied - yada yada - a tad oversimplified but if looks are no obstacle and you're handy that easy enough to do.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/141542195665?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Exactly the thing I was referring to earlier!