August 2015 Acquisition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a chance :)

I have another identical razor, which is being rhodium plated as we speak. That will be the face shaver. This one is the eye pleaser.
Sorry but, and I say this with all respect, I do not get collecting. You get something you want. A thing of beauty, pristine. But you cannot take it out. To use it as it was intended. It stays wrapped in plastic.

Looks amazing, but you can't play with it. Just like a trophy wife...

Get into them Syd, great shaves for the 4 you get out of them. Just not the longevity of the vintage stocks.

@nav1 got the Ikon #102 into the post quickly and AusPost got it to me without issue

DDrOfq2.jpg

Unfortunately after this photo was taken the #102 was confiscated until my birthday - shouldn't have used that as my excuse for buying it.

Got to shave with it once in case it is faulty ;)
Then a few more times, just to be sure...

Reactions: MrT
I think these are Black Beautys. They are Gillette made is USA. One has markings R3 and the other has V2. Both cleaned up quite well and seem to be in perfect working order. Are they a mild razor and what setting should I try them on to begin with? Are these considered a Vintage razor?
20150807_130410 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
20150807_130351 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr

I think these are Black Beautys. They are Gillette made is USA. One has markings R3 and the other has V2. Both cleaned up quite well and seem to be in perfect working order. Are they a mild razor and what setting should I try them on to begin with? Are these considered a Vintage razor?
20150807_130410 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
20150807_130351 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Yep. Gillette Super Adjustables (nicknamed "Black Beauty")

They are Vintage razors made from late 1960's to the mid-1980's. They are the last of the Gillette adjustable razors. The numbered dial beneath the head adjusts the height of the baseplate relative to the TTO solo doors*. It increases the blade gap making it more efficient (aggressive). The higher the number, the larger the gap and the more efficient the shave.

These both appear to be the short-handled variant. There is also a longer handled model.

The letter-number combo is the date code. The letter is the year and number is the quarter made.

R3 is 1971 3rd Quarter (July to Sept)
V2 is 1975 2nd Quarter (April to June)

Congratulations on finding your family razors! They will be a wonderful heirloom to pass on within the family. They are great shavers.

(*Note: Never adjust the dial while the TTO silo doors are closed! It will damage the mechanism. ALWAYS keep the doors open while you adjust the numbered dial.)

Yep. Gillette Super Adjustables (nicknamed "Black Beauty")

They are Vintage razors made from late 1960's to the mid-1980's. They are the last of the Gillette adjustable razors. The numbered dial beneath the head adjusts the height of the baseplate relative to the TTO solo doors*. It increases the blade gap making it more efficient (aggressive). The higher the number, the larger the gap and the more efficient the shave.

These both appear to be the short-handled variant. There is also a longer handled model.

The letter-number combo is the date code. The letter is the year and number is the quarter made.

R3 is 1971 3rd Quarter (July to Sept)
V2 is 1975 2nd Quarter (April to June)

Congratulations on finding your family razors! They will be a wonderful heirloom to pass on within the family. They are great shavers.

(*Note: Never adjust the dial while the TTO silo doors are closed! It will damage the mechanism. ALWAYS keep the doors open while you adjust the numbered dial.)
Excellent, I knew someone would know all about these and thanks for the tip about the way to set the adjustment dial. I look forward to giving them a go and I will certainly pass them on for future generations to use and enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.