August 2014 Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I not advise that gumtree seller got back to me ?

Lucky you - I got NOTHIN!

I presumed you had gotten these BTW :)

Scored my first vintage scent which arrived today.
Original Paco Rabanne. Brand New in Box and still wrapped in plastic.
Keen to try it on tomorrow - as I wear the current reformulation but hear that there's nothing quite like real oak moss.

Happy to see my heads up made its way into P&C hands.
20p4n0p.jpg

Nice razor LaP, I've the exact same one - is an absolute bargain at the price and gives a sensational shave. You've got to love the build quality and heft - really sets it apart from the plated alloy diecast ones.

Congrats @Lifes a Peach . Mine has landed in Australia yesterday so, fingers-crossed, will be here within the next few days. Very keen to hear how you go with it.

I'm a big fan of Semogue brushes and Mikes Soaps. Managed to snag this LE Cerda from another forum. The 620 (acrylic handle) is exceptional with soaps and face lathering.

8379a2b062ca85cb987727a86c52af18.jpg

Love those Mike's soaps

I don't find that most of Mike's Soaps (I think I have 5 of them) Lather that great/or easily but I consistently have a better shave and my skin feels FAR HAPPIER after using them than any other soap - and by a considerable margin. They've clearly got some absolutely fantastic ingredients in them.

Honestly I shave with any other soap and then feel its urgent to moisturise my skin or apply a balm - but with Mike's the skin feels like it needs nothing else. Really big difference. I also find that whereas with others if you get a crappy lather the shave suffers it isn't the case with Mike's - some seriously slippery stuff regardless of the cushion etc. Well worth the extra $$$ in buying and works out quite good if you buy a few at once.

…and where does one buy some of this Mike's stuff here in Australia?

I ordered it direct from him - he was a real gent to deal with. Highly recommended, went with the cakes of shaving soap and pressed them into my own containers - marginally better value than the tins but most people prefer those as they look dead sexy.

I ordered it direct from him - he was a real gent to deal with. Highly recommended, went with the cakes of shaving soap and pressed them into my own containers - marginally better value than the tins but most people prefer those as they look dead sexy.
Hmmm…big commitment for a trial. Any you'd consider parting with mate?
…though the Barber Shop sounds right up my alley.
P.S., just came back from his store and all shave soaps are out of stock. Oh well, saves me from myself s'pose.

To be honest I kind of like all of them I have well not so much the coconut (as its very strongly scented and a tad feminine for my preferences) - but I don't think I'd be looking to trade/sell any as the replacement costs are a PITA for one or two and thats all I'd need. Sorry mate.

I got someone to got halves with me in ordering some, thats not a bad strategy - he's actually pretty generous with his shipping allowances etc so I found that worked well.

PS. FWIW Barber's Shop is not too bad...quite sweet, definitely true to it's name - dunno if I would order it again but it's solid.

Bay Rum is the best I tried BY FAR - I got around 5 soaps plus a whole bunch of samplers before this. It's just really nice - has a very nice spice to it to compliment the Bay Laurel.

Lime is my go-to hot day shaving soap. Lathers the best of any of his and is very refreshing to use. That said Lime is a very common scent and I dunno if I'd get it again and not something a tad more exotic e.g Peppermint+Rosemary (tried in samplers and was good).

Orange/Cedar/Pepper is good - happy with that, perhaps just a tad too much Orange but it's still good. Pine+ Cedarwood was an interesting sampler, quite masculine and unlike stuff we get here in Oz.

The Lemongrass+Euca sounded great but I was underwhelmed. Like I said the Coconut is overpowering, I regret getting it. I wasn't a fan of the Hungarian Lavender either (only sampler), bit too full on for me.

I do regret not getting the Vetiver, it was more expensive than the rest and a trial production when I ordered but it sounds the business.

Overall I found some of the scents a bit much and sometimes the lathers only so-so but they always shave beautifully and like I said NOTHING else not even MWF is even close for how your skin feels after use - honestly compare the ingredients to any other top end soaps and these have way more high end oils/butters than anythng else I've seen.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, both are sold. The Mike's thread should have some details as to how many soaps Nick had to buy to make a small group order worthwhile. From memory, I think it was about three or so each with some samples added in. My experience with the Orange/Cedarwood/Black Pepper is good (though quite heavy on the orange), the Lime and Bay Rum were both great latherers but I didn't like the scent much. When I get through the Orange a bit more, I'll probably look to get a few more. The Vetiver (if available) and Hungarian Lavender or Barber Shop both appeal to me.

If enough people were interested, I would be willing to investigate the possibility of a second group order. Monsta would have to approve first.

Status
Not open for further replies.