Sheep?

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
I hate mowing grass!

My mowing man charges AU$90 per hour to cut the grass on my ¼ acre block. To save money, I am thinking of getting a sheep. It would need to be one that doesn't require shearing and can survive in a wet tropical environment.

Has anyone else tried sheep mowing?

I hate mowing grass!

My mowing man charges AU$90 per hour to cut the grass on my ¼ acre block. To save money, I am thinking of getting a sheep. It would need to be one that doesn't require shearing and can survive in a wet tropical environment.

Does a goat eat grass? so you don’t have to worry about shearing a sheep

Don't your roos mow grass? Wallabies make an excellent job of it, they'll cut it to a perfect 6.3mm all over. Kangaroos are just a maxi size wallaby, after all... :unsure:

Don't your roos mow grass? Wallabies make an excellent job of it, they'll cut it to a perfect 6.3mm all over. Kangaroos are just a maxi size wallaby, after all... :unsure:
Too much grass available and not enough roos. Besides, Levy doesn't many roos onto the paddock. Being a kelpie, my thoughts are that she won't mind the odd sheep on her "patch".

I hate mowing grass!

In my student days, (last century) one of my part-time jobs was taxi-driving. One sunny Sunday afternoon I arrived at the pickup point, a suburban house. I could see into the backyard which contained a sheep. As this was an unusual pet (to me) I asked my passenger, an old lady, about it. She said her husband used to mow the lawns but when he passed away, she couldn't manage the lawn mower, hence the sheep. So I asked if there was enough grass for the sheep. She said there was but for a special treat the sheep loved to eat roast lamb. I didn't know what to say. :shame:

Goats can be hard to keep. They are good at escaping and have a more sensitive constitution than sheep. Due to sheep eating off the ground and goats eating higher up.

A ¼ acre is not much room for a sheep. Down here it is sheep and acre country but it gets cold and is very dry.

Being a herd animal you will need at least 2 sheep. Who will drench them? What happens when they die?

Self shedding can be messy, but shearing will be hard to get someone for 2 sheep.

I've got 35 of the stupid things at the moment. Anyone want some lamb?

Goats can be hard to keep. They are good at escaping and have a more sensitive constitution than sheep. Due to sheep eating off the ground and goats eating higher up.

A ¼ acre is not much room for a sheep. Down here it is sheep and acre country but it gets cold and is very dry.

Being a herd animal you will need at least 2 sheep. Who will drench them? What happens when they die?

Self shedding can be messy, but shearing will be hard to get someone for 2 sheep.

I've got 35 of the stupid things at the moment. Anyone want some lamb?
A friend of mine inherited his Dad's flock when the old man died. He was pretty keen to get rid of them when he discovered the delights of having to wash the dried shit off their asses.

Unfortunately that is well beyond my limited budget. I do have a push rotary mower but at my age using it is getting beyond my physical capabilities.
I'm hearing you, that's why I bought the ride on. Even with a self propelled mower the hill my yard is on was killing me.

I hate mowing grass!

We had a sheep when I was a kid. It was there to mow the lawn and it started off well but then it discovered mum's plants. Not long after the street was invited to a spit roast of lamp.