Shave of the Day Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colling.jpg

PXL-20231228-194238179-PORTRAIT.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: Troycraft "Polar Nocturne" 28mm AP G5C
Soap: Valobra + a drop of lavender EO (Jurlique, SA)
Razor: ΑΛΦΑ Claymore Evolution
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Shower, TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+ Invisible Fluid, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Buku Abel Gesha, Ethiopia

SOTD – Fri 29 Dec 2023

SOTD-20231229-setup.png

Scramble scent description: “It is a lightly sweet scent with notes of bergamot, tonka bean, cardamom, vanilla, bourbon and allspice”.

Shave Report: To my nose the scent I get a complex blend of light sweet spice, fruit and a little boozy, a bit like Apple & Cinnamon pie, scent strength 6/10. Overall an awesome mild, clean & smooth shave from the Merkur Classic & Dorco Prime blade combo.

The Gear:​

• Pre Shave: Natio Men Shave Gel [A]
  • Brush: Fuko Shaving “Aqua” with 26/53 Maggard’s B&W knot [A]
  • Soap: Squadron Soaps - Scramble! [A]
  • Bowl: Whispers From The Woods [A]
  • Razor: Merkur Classic head with Knurled AL handle (56gm)
  • Blade: Dorco Prime Platinum HQ (1)
  • Splash: Imperial Bergamot AS Tonic with added Menthol
  • Balm: Natio Men Calming AS Balm [A]
  • After Shave: Blue Stratos AS Lotion
  • Moisturiser (Later): Swisse Daily Face Moisturiser [A]
[A] = Australian Product

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Proraso Azure Lime
Brush: Maggards 26mm synthetic
Soap: B & M Taiga
Razor: Yaqi Romulus AC
Blade: supplied Chinese no-name
Post-shave: Alum block, Home-made aftershave, Nelum Sandalwood balm.

My daughter bought me a Yaqi Remus (Matt finish) for Christmas, but what arrived was a Romulus(Polished). I'm not a fan of the look of the handle and after reading what @Errol said about the lack of grip, I wasn't expecting great things. Halfway through I changed to another handle due to a lack of grip, swapping the one from my Lupo 72. Wow, what a difference.

This was my first time using an AC-type of razor and I was surprised at how different it felt. I was amazed at how smooth it was with the audible feedback being the only indicator that there was actually a blade in the razor! I'm really looking forward to trying some other blades to figure out which ones are my favourites.

PXL-20231229-194317228-PORTRAIT.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: Troycraft "Vazon Forest" 28mm AP G5C
Soap: Yardley
Razor: Atelier Durdan Vestige
Blade: Personna GEM Stainless
Post-shave: Shower, TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+ Invisible Fluid, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Buku Abel Gesha, Ethiopia

@Phil Harmonica how do you find the Washpool, I have all 3 and believe it one of the slickest (plus the aroma 1 & 2) of Aussie made soaps for Kamisori shaving?
The name doesn’t grab me, but it’s excellent soap and it’s the shave that counts. I haven’t tried their #2 yet, only the #1. Going to pick up the #2 on my next trip to Stanthorpe. They sell refills (no jar) and I have a couple of empty jars.

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Proraso Azure Lime
Brush: Maggards 26mm synthetic
Soap: B & M Taiga
Razor: Yaqi Romulus AC
Blade: supplied Chinese no-name
Post-shave: Alum block, Home-made aftershave, Nelum Sandalwood balm.

My daughter bought me a Yaqi Remus (Matt finish) for Christmas, but what arrived was a Romulus(Polished). I'm not a fan of the look of the handle and after reading what @Errol said about the lack of grip, I wasn't expecting great things. Halfway through I changed to another handle due to a lack of grip, swapping the one from my Lupo 72. Wow, what a difference.

This was my first time using an AC-type of razor and I was surprised at how different it felt. I was amazed at how smooth it was with the audible feedback being the only indicator that there was actually a blade in the razor! I'm really looking forward to trying some other blades to figure out which ones are my favourites.
Totally agree about the Yaqi Romulus handle, it's hard to grip and I also upgraded it to something more gripy, that been said I love the way the razor head shaves though.

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC Two Band Finest Badger in Ash Wood 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Mike s Natural ~ Bay Rum
Razor/Blade:- Blackland Vector SS Matted Finished / Schick Proline P30 #5
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerine (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men

It's been a while that I haven't used my Vector, while the SE blade edge is STILL alive and not rusty.

Yesterday's face and head shave culprits, and today's later face shave after a day at a soccer tournament
Pre-shave: warm shower
Brush: AP Shave Co with a G5C
Soap: Henri et Victoria Unscented
Razor: Alpha Outlaw Evolution Ti
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome

Nice shaving razor, the polishing on the titanium seems swell

ABLVV87O1H-0sjktrAgj9SNxITQ0IY0PROq5HiHsC9C5SlrhcVbWWK-Xptm_SAHJ7RCbroIAC2duNSivUe_nDRYDcyiEBJQo6mTSFJpeA3xO1DpQ7DuEQEMzpj-uIB5weLNKceKNZDqtzfNxwPjjOeoZnJC9=w1161-h871-s-no

ABLVV85IDypCdorjagv-I1TwrbY1cjcmo1Ee0mdxMwGQNwRKkOjwkkukYLxu7vu0Ki9Q5tqsBhy8zQq6ORXr7p23IKjiMYnivZeq6SupSqR42SOc7LcJ38TMIFkkFemsFPQTvSbFGN-lsTXKNS8dVSCxF_id=w1161-h871-s-no

IMG-7578.jpg

Pre-shave:- Hot shower
Brush:- Grizzly Bay w/ Fanchurian knot
Soap: Tabac Original
Razor: 1924 T R Cadman Bengall
Finished with: Karve Overlander
Moisturiser: Crew - Facebalm (+SPF 15)

Final shave of the year. Started with the Bengall and finished with the Overlander. All in all a good shave.

The Bengall isn’t as sharp as it once was - I think I need to have a read of some of the stropping threads. It made for an average start of the shave - most likely exaggerated by the sunburn I’m sporting lol

Finished off with the Overlander - used the last Gillette 7 O’clock blade I have (finally finished the 2nd 100 blade envelope). I’ve got a 5 pack of Gillette Nacets and Gillette Minoras to try - and will then commit to the next 100 blades. That’ll be 2024 sorted

Looking forwards to the next shave!!

C

ZZsbvmol.jpg

Soap: PAA Gondolier
Brush: Italian Boar
Razor: Smart Helix Apollo
Blade: Dorco Prime (2)
I've had maybe a dozen shaves with this razor now. Fairly early on I had concerns about the threaded post coming out of the top cap. I tried epoxy gluing the threaded post into the top cap knowing that would make Plan B more difficult but Plan B wasn't that attractive. Maybe I got half a dozen shaves with the glued post before a tightening of the handle post blade install dragged the threaded post out of the cap.:oops: OK, so initiate Plan B, silver soldering the post into the cap, only problem is the expoxy glue had to be cleaned out of the threads. I knew there was a risk of destroying the cap but what did I have to lose? I had some 50% silver solder on hand so I fluxed it up, set it up,....... then ballsed it up :). It could have gone worse....... I used a general flame thinking if I used a pinpoint flame there would be higher risk of warping the top cap if I didn't get even heat distribution, the problem being the solder travelled further than I would have liked.
Good news is I effectively soldered the threaded post in. Bad news....... I had to spend an hour on the dremmel cutting back excess solder so the bottom plate would engage. I achieved cleaning up the top cap and post enough so the bottom plate engages properly and the post accepts a blade, but it's ugly, but thankfully 99% of the ugliness is under the top cap. The top of the cap is burnished and one edge suffered a small amount of flux corrosion which presents as a short black stain. I buffed the top cap which made the top of the cap presentable but the underside is a mess.
I gave the razor a run this morning and there is no loss of functionality, so I'm happy. Yes, warranty options were explored, that's another story.......
Q7nSbDGl.jpg

I don't know that I love this razor enough to buy another top cap, especially when I've retained full functionality of this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.