Review: Polsilver Super Iridium

Mong.

doesn't care for Euro Palmolive
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical
Blade Review: Polsilver Super Iridium

I thought I'd start a separate thread for these blades. Thanks to Nick from whom I pinched the template and the idea. These are the more expensive sibling to the Polsilver Stainless (brown box) that Nick has been reviewing favourably, but sitting at around 40c per blade from memory. There are loads of Polsilvers and Super Iridiums and Polsilver Super Iridiums and I don't really follow a lot of it, but I'm pretty sure these are from Lodz in Poland and were discontinued when Gillette (or P&G) moved blade production to St Petersburgh. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

Here's a couple threads for anyone interesting in where these came from or want to know more about the Polsilver/Super Iridium relationship:

B&B thread about the original Super Iridium, these were sold in Bulgaria under the Polsilver Super Iridium packaging

Brief summary of Gillette's purchase of the Wizamet plant in Lodz, Poland where I believe the Polsilver Super Iridiums were made

Interesting post at Shave Nook

Kit used:

• Merkur 34C (Shaves 1-4)
  • Gillette Fatboy on #4 (Shave 5)
  • Blobby Foo (TGN silvertip)
  • Proraso Sandalwood and Shea Butter (Red) cream
  • Alum
  • Ed Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
  • Nivea Sensitive Post-Shave Balm

Number of Passes: 2 (1 WTG, 1 XTG)

Sharpness of Blade/Closeness of shave: 8.5/10

Smoothness of Shave/Comfort of Shave: 9/10

Post-shave irritation/cuts: None in the first three shaves, one small weeper on the fourth and three on the fifth when I was in a bit of a rush. A little bit of irritation around my neck on the fourth and fifth go, but to a reasonable degree this came down to my technique.

Overall shave experience: 9/10

Overall score for blade: 8.85/10

Comments: For the first three shaves, I found these to be brilliant. They're very sharp, sharper than the Personna Lab Blue and and marginally sharper than the Polsilver Stainless I think. I think I saw it suggested here that the Stainless and SI's might even be the same blade. I don't think that's true, because I think this is sharper. I've never tried a Feather so I can't compare to that either.

I get irritation on the sides of my neck level with my adam's apple, and I've found sharper blades cut through my beard with greater ease and comfort, giving me less irritation in subsequent days. These blades are the perfect sharpness for me. They cut very smoothly, with a loud audible feedback and felt comfortable with a few variations on blade angle that I tried. I experimented a bit with blade buffing and thought that although it was pretty pointless as a technique, the blade provided a close shave and didn't cut me.

The results of my first three shaves with this blade were very consistent; extremely smooth with minimal rough patches, no bleeding, and a very comfortable and relaxing shave. Stubble didn't really start showing prominently until late the day after, which indicates it was a pretty damn close shave for me. I felt comfortable going for a closer result with this blade, but it was definitely sharp enough to do some damage if attention lapsed.
Unfortunately, it deteriorated noticeably on the fourth shave, it was less sharp obviously and thus caused a little bit of irritation as it couldn't cut through my neck hair quite as easily when going XTG. This may be down to my technique though, as I've only just started incorporating XTG and ATG shaves into my routine. While irritated, I still found it left me with an extremely smooth face with only a few rare rough spots and no nicks or cuts.
I binned it halfway through the fifth shave because I already had a bit of irritation on my neck, but I could have persisted and finished the shave with a bit more care. I switched it out to the Polsilver Stainless which did a very good job finishing up. I was testing the Fatboy for the first time, so I'm willing to concede that the cuts and irritation I experienced post shave were probably down to my needing to adjust my technique for the new razor. I was noticeably sore on both sides of my neck post-shave for about 30 minutes, but it's settled now and very hard to fault the result.

I think there's only a very marginal difference between these and their brown Stainless brethren. I think these are slightly sharper, and that's better for me. Both blades seemed to be at their best on the second and third shaves, the Stainless has left me very smooth on the side of my neck that it finished off with no patches. The Super Iridium has left me completely smooth across my face but a little rough around my jaw, and while the side of my neck that it completed is quite smooth, it's also noticeably red and sore.

These were a 9/10 blade for the first three shaves. I marked it down 0.5 for the last two, mostly because I began noticing the loss of smoothness and began to get irritation. I will concede that this might be solely user error, but I think it was a case of both the blade dulling and a need to adjust technique.

Will I buy more of these? Probably, but I want to give the Polsilver Stainless and the original Super Iridiums a fair go first. By all accounts, the three are extremely similar and these Polsilver SI's seem to be the most expensive of the bunch. These have been the best performing blade for me so far in terms of both result and comfort, but they'll get a run for their money soon with the original Super Iridium, the Feather, and then the Mostochlegmash sampler pack of Rapira's and Voskhod's. I'll update this thread accordingly once I get a perspective on sharpness from the Feather in particular.

I recommend that everyone try these, or at least the Polsilver Stainless brown boxed blades which (IMO) are only very slightly inferior.

EDIT:

I added the rating "Overall shave experience" to my blade reviews because I consider my enjoyment of the shave to be an integral part of the experience. With the blade being the most intrusive part of the shave, I think it appropriate that its effect on my post-shave comfort and relaxation contribute to its overall rating. All ratings are subjective, and obviously your mileage may vary. The ratings are predominantly for my own benefit, and I will adjust them as I try more blades.

Last edited:
Ok, well Sam very generously forwarded me several of these Pol SI's to try and I did so last night. Did so in my Slant 37c, with MNS Bay Rum and my Vie-Long 12705.

My impressions were right away its clear it's an excellent blade. Just down from elite levels of sharpness but very smooth. I had no issues or irritation with it at all. Very pleasurable to use and gave a relatively good shave.

That said I do feel that it's not quite at the level of the PSS. This just felt a little sharper & a little better overall for me. Plus we'll have to see if the Pol SI has the longevity to shave at that 'as new' level for 4+ shaves as the PSS does.

I do feel its superior to the Pol Brown, again only a marginal difference and I've only used one Pol Brown a few weeks ago so not exactly scientific comparison - so take that feedback with a grain of salt.

Its definitely an excellent blade but at 2-3 times the cost of the PSS? Hard to justify that one.....but if anything this moreso solidifies what a sensational buy the PSS's are rather than the Pol SI's being overpriced - as thats the same rate that Feather's etc sell for in smaller quantities so very reasonable for a top blade.

Again all this is just after one shave so I'll be looking forward to popping a few more thoughts up with subsequent uses. Again thanks to Sam for sharing, appreciated. :)

2nd shave with Pol SI.....went with Slim@5/3, MNS Pine/Cedar and Vie-Long Peleon.

Much more enjoyable shave this time, overall I have to say the Slim is a better razor than the Slant. The Slant (37c) is IMHO the best razor for a single WTG pass. It excels at this and will allow you to get a pretty decent result without the need to do another pass....so in a funny way it's actually face friendly (I've never had problems with it giving cuts etc - its actually very good in this way) but it does come across a tad agro when you start trying to go ATG....its just not it's thing.

On the other hand the Slim can basically do it all...so yes, did a 2 pass shave and it was really nice. Great audio feedback when using. Lovely balance of sharp/smooth. Not a single bit of irritation and after I genuinely felt like I'd not even shaved the irritation was so low....I have to give MNS credit on this as I find that while they might not lather as BIG or easily as some other soaps they leave me feeling WAY better after and are every bit as slick during usage.

Anyway cut a long story short, the 2nd shave was very impressive. Lovely blade, no debate of that, just whether at that price point they're anything more than an occasional changeup blade rather than a 'staple'.

Lovely blade, no debate of that, just whether at that price point they're anything more than an occasional changeup blade rather than a 'staple'.

Nice read mate, thanks. Your thoughts about this blade pretty much echo my own, it seems. I'm hanging out to try the Perma-Sharp so I can compare them, because the price difference is pretty vast. How far up there are these on your top blades list? I'm not sure how good they actually are in the grand scheme of things, but they tick the boxes in what I'm looking for in a blade.

EDIT:

So I'm gunna do a tiny PIF for someone who'd like to try these blades, the only condition being that you review them post-shave. Preferably someone who hasn't tried these, first reply gets the guernsey. I'll send two of these, a Polsilver Stainless (brown) and one Super Iridium for comparison. If I find what I did with the box, I can send out a few more but it's temporarily missing.

Last edited:
I'd like to try the Iridium one; I have some of the PSS browns though.

If you don't wanna split the two then I'll pass and someone else can try them.

Done for both of you. Jug, which Iridium are you after? Polsilver SI or original SI? SYD, are you after all three? PM me with your addresses gents and I'll get them in the post on Monday.

Hey Mong, thanks mate.

I'd be after the blue package one if that's what you have.

Polsilver SI I am guessing.

PM incoming.

Last edited:
No worries mate, did you want an original SI to try too? I'll drop 'em in the post over the weekend fellas.

3rd shave, basically exactly the same approach/materials as #2 but used D.R Harris Arlington Soap (kindly gotten from JugV2) - every bit as good as shave #2. The blade shows no signs of slowing down at this stage.

4th shave, still great shave but tiny drop off in sharpness. Could have definitely got a 5th out but retired it to my head razor. Great blade, very impressed with it.

Cheers for the feedback Nick. Sorry fellas, your envelopes got mixed in with a bunch of work papers and I subsequently forgot to mail them. They went in the post this morning so they'll hopefully turn up around Wednesday/Thursday.

No sweat Mate.

The rule of PiF is "When I remember, it gets in the post and not before" :laugh::laugh:

That's pretty much my rule too.

I've had enough work on my plate of late, plus trying to migrate the forums to the new host. I will get to it at some stage ;)

Cheers Mong, these turned up in the post last week I just haven't had a chance to post about it yet.

Awesome work mate :)

Likewise...I haven't shaved for 5 days or so. I'll whack down the growth with something else and look to report back in a couple days :)

thanks again mate for the blades