Removing vintage Shicks from dispenser

Pjotr

Cultured Philistine
2016 Sabbatical
Just about the only drawback to the vintage Shicks is the fact that they're pretty much stuck together in the dispenser. I think it's either the teflon coating or another type of coating they would have applied at manufacture which over the years has become thick and gluggy. Was shaving with what I thought was a single Shick blade and it wasn't fun. Put it aside and squeezed another blade out....same thing. Was considering the prospect of having to ditch my carefully collected Shick stash and was starting blink away a few tears when I discovered that I'd been shaving with a double blade. It doesn't work. How they came upon the idea of multiple blade cartridges didn't come about through sticking two or more blades together!

Has anybody worked out a method for getting these things out of the dispenser, short of destroying it?

I didn't, hence the container I sent on to you was fairly well beaten up after taking a couple of blades out.

Have you tried that pack - were they ok for you?

Just about the only drawback to the vintage Shicks is the fact that they're pretty much stuck together in the dispenser. I think it's either the teflon coating or another type of coating they would have applied at manufacture which over the years has become thick and gluggy. Was shaving with what I thought was a single Shick blade and it wasn't fun. Put it aside and squeezed another blade out....same thing. Was considering the prospect of having to ditch my carefully collected Shick stash and was starting blink away a few tears when I discovered that I'd been shaving with a double blade. It doesn't work. How they came upon the idea of multiple blade cartridges didn't come about through sticking two or more blades together!

Has anybody worked out a method for getting these things out of the dispenser, short of destroying it?

And PJ discovers twin blade shaving - keep this up mate and you will soon move up to the legends status of those who use 5 blades. (best get a patent on this before some razor company gets the same idea) :)

I didn't, hence the container I sent on to you was fairly well beaten up after taking a couple of blades out.

Have you tried that pack - were they ok for you?

Yeah it's fine thank you. Provided you extract one instead of two blades. You're bad experience with Shicks might have been an accidental two blade attempt.

I had this problem with a pack of blades in a dispenser and if memory serves correctly RM had a solution at the time.

The second time it happened I just broke open the dispenser.

So there you have it. Absolutely no useful information whatsoever.

Well there you go. I just discovered a revolutionary twin blade system, missed the patent by about 30yrs and they've now been discontinued. Story of my life.

I think you need to warm the blades up slightly, perhaps over steam or something? Non direct heat of course; this loosens the gum/coating that is stopping them from sliding out freely.

I think you need to warm the blades up slightly, perhaps over steam or something? Non direct heat of course; this loosens the gum/coating that is stopping them from sliding out freely.

Yeah I was thinking of shoving one in the microwave for a few seconds. Or maybe just put it in a standard oven for a bit. I think the latter actually. It's a bit scary seeing sparks coming off metalic surfaces in a microwave