PIF No. 3 - Shave-ready T.R. Cadman "Bengall" Straight Razor (Worldwide)

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
The final T.R. Cadman "Bengall" received from @psillypsimon to be PIFed on P&C. This PIF would suit a beginner into the gentlemanly art of straight razor (SR) shaving or a more experienced SR shaver who appreciates a fine shaving razor. This SR is a shave-ready (to my standard) and includes instructions if required on how to use and maintain it.

lVOSU4j.jpg

xVsGas3.jpg

As received, this SR had a butchered point. A previous owner had tried to grind from its original Dutch (round) point to something like an American (square) point. Not being happy with a pointy toe, he then muted the toe by grinding it off for about 2mm at 45°. There was heavy oxidation on the spine at the blade's head and some rather deep scratches on the hollow both sides. I reground the point back to a well proportioned Dutch style, ground off the heavy spine oxidation, sanded most of the scratches out of the grinds, polished the blade up and polished the scales. The SR was then honed to shave-ready, finishing on diamond pasted balsa strops. I will be shave testing it tomorrow.

Razor Characteristics:
Manufacturer = T.R. Cadman & Sons Ltd, Sheffield, England​
Year of Manufacture = shortly before 1924​
Blade material = high carbon steel​
Blade width = 19.5mm (6/8)​
Point style = Dutch (round)​
Grind = full hollow​
Edge length = 64mm​
Bevel angle = 18.2°​
Blade thickness at top of bevel = 0.32mm​
Stabilizers = one each side​
Spine decoration = none​
Jimps = bottom of shank​
Scales material = plastic​
Wedge = tapered plastic​
Pins = two of nickel allow​
Mass = 54g​

Rules:

1. This PIF is open to members worldwide.
2. You must have been a member of P&C on 05 October 2023.
3. The winner is to pay postage within 72 hours of winning (see postal rates below).
4. Entries close 0059hrs UTC Friday 13 October 2023.

How to enter:

To win this PIF requires skill. You need to determine how much dried dog food my Australian Kelpie dog, Levy, will eat between 0001hrs UTC Saturday 07 October 2023 and 2359hrs UTC Friday 13 October 2023.

To assist you in this determination, Levy is 3 years old and weighs in at 19kg. We live on a farm outside of Mareeba Qld where levy has the run of the property to play in. Being a citrus farm, Levy has nothing to herd but tries her best with the local Kangaroos. Her diet consists on whatever she can scrounge around the property, mainly road-kill kangaroos and the dried dog food that is available to her 24/7. She doesn't like her dried dog food and only eats it when really hungry. For the past week, Levy has been eating on average 183g of dried dog food per day.
To enter just post in this thread "I'm in", with your determination of how must dried dog food Levy will eat (in grams). The nearest correct determination will win this wonderful PIF.

The winner will be notified via PM on P&C and here in this thread soon after the PIF closes. The winner will then have 72 hours to pay the postage. If postage is not received by then, the next closest to the actual amount eaten will be the winner.

Postage Rates:

Australia = AU$2.70
New Zealand = US$11.40
Asia/Pacific = US$14.00
US/Canada = US$15.70
Europe/UK & Brazil = US$19.25
Rest of world = US$23.00

To shave with this SR, the winner will need to have a suitable shaving soap and brush. He will also need a strop. A reasonably good leather and denim strop can be purchased at the Titan Product Store on AliExpress for about AU$20 including shipping. If no strop, a folded piece of newspaper will suffice. It will all be in the instructions.

If you find that SR shaving is not for you, all I ask is that you return the razor to me. I will then refresh the blade's edge and PIF it to another member.

I am in.

I am guessing, by your clue she will eat about 1300g of food in the week.

Excellent opportunity for a beginner to get into straights, it will be a good reference edge for the future, so if a beginner comes close I would not mind if preference is given to him.

I will love to compare your edge to what I achieve, as I have never bought a razor, apart from two (Fili14 and Rigarazor) that I would consider shave-ready.