PIF No. 17 (Worldwide) - Shave-ready Bengall ⅝ American Point (Rare) Straight Razor

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
Note: There are still shave-ready new razors available in PIF No. 11.

This razor comes to us through the kind benevolence of @LesC. The razor is a pre-1924 (probably) T.R. Cadman & Sons ⅝ full-hollow "Bengall". This razor is a rare find, particularly in Australia. It was custom made in England for sale by Butler Bros. in New York & Chicago. Thomas Cadman did not normally export to the Americas but did occasionally accept special orders from select retailers there.

Here is what the winner of this PIF will receive.

rIFP19U.jpg

ENb4vzc.jpg

The razor"s toe has been muted by a previous owner.
Vfzq4rS.jpg

Technical Details (approximate measurements):

Maker = T.R. Cadman & Sons (probably)​
Model = “Bengall”​
Year of manufacture = 1890 to 1924 (probably)​
Blade material = high carbon steel​
Blade finish = mirror both sides​
Point style = American​
Grind = full hollow​
Blade width = 16.5m (⅝)​
Bevel angle = 17.5°​
Blade thickness = 0.33mm at top of bevel​
Edge length = 67mm​
Edge smile = ~1mm​
Spine-wear smile = ~1mm​
Stabilizers = one each side​
Jimps = none​
Tail length = 21mm opened 270°​
Scales material = plastic (original)​
Pins = 2 of nickel alloy​
Wedge = tapered of lead​
Length closed = 160mm​
Length opened 180° = 245mm​
Balance (opened 180°) = 7mm from pivot pin towards blade​
Mass = 40g​
Markings:​
Blade face –​
+ EXTRA +
HOLLOW GROUND RAZOR​
Blade reverse (none)​
Shank face –​
BENGALL​
Shank reverse –​
MADE IN ENGLAND FOR
BUTLER BROS
NEW YORK & CHICAGO
Condition:

This straight razor is shave-ready (to my standard) and in extreme good condition for its age. The spine shows just a slight amount of wear from honing. The razor is supplied as-received from @LesC. Perhaps he can chime in with any history he may know of on this razor. Since receiving this razor, I have used it only once on my silken whisker for a shave test. The edge was then refreshed on diamond pasted balsa down to 0.1μm and then stropped on clean Kyrgyzstan calf leather. It is supplied stropped and ready to use. The lucky winner will not be disappointed.​
Note: This razor is suitable for a beginner and also those more experienced in the art. It is a pleasure to shave with and would be particular apprecited by a gentleman who wishes to shave with a fine vintage straight razor.​

Rules:

1. This PIF is open to all P&C members worldwide.​
2. You must have been a member of P&C on 01 April 2024.​
3. The winner is to pay postage within 72 hours of winning (see postal rates below). You can pay with PayPal, bank transfer or BTC/Lightning.​
4. The PIF remains open until won.​

How to enter:

This PIF requires some lucky guesses. I have thought of a number between 1 and 20 inclusive. You need to guess that number (a whole number and it is not 8 or 14 that won previous PIFs). You are allowed multiple guesses however each of your guesses must be at least 24 hours apart. To win this PIF, just post "I'm in" with your guess of the number. [e.g., I'm in 14]. First to guess the correct number will win.​

If you find that this SR is not for you, all I ask is that you return the razor to me. I will then refresh the blade's edge and PIF it to another member.​

Postage Rates:

Australia = AU$2.80 delivered within 5 to 10 business days​
New Zealand = AU$17.60 (about US$11.40) delivered within 8 to 12 business days​
Asia/Pacific = AU$21.60 (about US$14.00) delivered within 10 to 18 business days​
US/Canada = AU$24.20 (about US$15.70) delivered within 6 to 10 business days​
Europe/UK & Brazil = AU$29.60 (about US$19.25 delivered within 6 to 10 business days​
Rest of world = AU$35.60 (about US$23.00) delivered within 15 to 25 business days​

The Bengall razor, a name that brings back memories, arrived late yesterday. Eagerly, I unboxed it, a sense of nostalgia washing over me. I had owned some Bengall razors around 20 years ago, but they were lost when we were broken into.

What struck me about the branding was the absence of the usual two parallel lines and embossed pattern. The tang stamp also seemed to indicate that this razor wasn’t the usual one in Australian circulation. Intriguingly, it appears to have been made for the BUTLER BROS of NEW YORK & CHICAGO, a mail-order company established in Chicago in 1877. I surmise they set up contracts with cutlers to supply goods for their catalogue at a marked-up price.

The razor’s appearance was a sheer delight. It was in pristine condition, with a mirror polish on the blade and beautiful black scales. Some might argue that a mirror polish detracts from the historical ambiance of a vintage razor. However, I believe that restored to its original state, this is how the original owner may have received it. The scales were in remarkable condition, scratch-free and a beautiful dark black colour.

The razor’s size is akin to a German razor I own, so I had some expectations of how it would handle. It came with a wonderful edge that tree-topped effortlessly and passed the hanging hair test with flying colours. Rbscebu has sent me a Gold Dollar before, and it was sharp, but this seemed a notch sharper. Perhaps it’s the quality of the steel.

The shave was nothing short of exceptional. After the first pass, my face was pretty much done, and the second pass led to a pleasing BBS. It was all over before I knew it, akin to the fleeting thrill of sideshow rides.

Unfortunately, the photo doesn’t do it justice, as the sun was obscured by clouds and the lighting wasn’t too bright. Nonetheless, here is a photo to commemorate the occasion of a ‘new’ razor joining the flock.

A heartfelt thank you to Rbscebu for your generosity. I’ll treasure this razor for years to come