Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements META-4

Rhinehoth

... and these are a few of my favourite soaps.
Errol reviewed this razor recently so I am not going to rehash what he said. The one huge fault with this razor (for me) is that I found it difficult to remove the top cap from the bottom plate (perhaps I got a dud razor, who knows). Eventually I managed to pry it open with a knife between the small gap where the razor blade tabs are. I have a small collection of around forty razors and this is the only razor that I have had this kind of issue with. Anyway, I solved the problem by giving this recalcitrant razor away. At my age, I don’t have that much time left to waste by wrestling with a razor trying to get it to open. 😂

Interesting. I wasn't even aware that Errol reviewed this razor but I am not surprised. The guy has razor spies everywhere and if there is a razor he hasn't tried I'd be shocked. lol.
I bought the razor as soon as it came out since I really like the concept and put off buying the prismatic many times but I have never ever had that problem but I haven't shaved with it and perhaps its creating some sort of gunk up sticking or suction affect when the soap and water gets in between the parts.
I recently emailed them regarding another thing I had noted about the bottom cap and was told that there were some changes regarding the razor since I bought mine but I believe that was in regards to the handle only.
I don't know why but when you say small collection of 40 razors it made me chuckle. It's quite a few razors and I probably have just as many but I feel like its a lot so maybe when I reach that crazy amount others have I can look back at this comment and smile.
Hahaha, I got admire your attitude. You know what you want and you aren't going to mess about playing with stuff anymore. Very decisive! That's great! (y)

Errol reviewed this razor recently so I am not going to rehash what he said. The one huge fault with this razor (for me) is that I found it difficult to remove the top cap from the bottom plate (perhaps I got a dud razor, who knows). Eventually I managed to pry it open with a knife between the small gap where the razor blade tabs are. I have a small collection of around forty razors and this is the only razor that I have had this kind of issue with. Anyway, I solved the problem by giving this recalcitrant razor away. At my age, I don’t have that much time left to waste by wrestling with a razor trying to get it to open. 😂

You‘ve missed out on a good one. Because it is so good I ordered another. This week I received my second META-4 that was purchased specifically to polish up as a special. Neither razor has more than a machined finish but neither has anything like a sticking cap.

You‘ve missed out on a good one. Because it is so good I ordered another. This week I received my second META-4 that was purchased specifically to polish up as a special. Neither razor has more than a machined finish but neither has anything like a sticking cap.

I truly did then, the fact that you hold it in such high regards speaks volumes for me. I am thinking of ordering another because apparently the bottom tip has been fixed or the handle has somewhat changed since I bought mine. I had noted that the bottom tip was a little less flared than the coloured ones I had bought which was interesting and somewhat disappointing. I guess that's something maybe you can weigh in on and confirm if something has changed. The one I have the silver flared tip that came with the razor is a little more narrow in circumference thus allowing it to fit in my razorock inkwell stand but the coloured tips do not.

Yep, definitely! He must have got the dudliest of duds on that razor there which is a shame.

Oh man! That's a great idea. I plan on buying another down the line and will probably try do the same to mine since the razor looks like it needs and deserves it.
I'd love to see the results of that once its done.

Doug also has something coming up soon for the flaretip line of razors he has made but I will let him reveal that when its time. That polished Meta-4 should look really nice.

Last edited:
I often wonder how you find time, among all the days you spend in pursuit of your mission to review all these razors, to enjoy the pleasure of using those razors that you most love. It must be hard... :unsure:

My son figured out the sticking plates. Apparently, removing the plastic washer that I put between the handle and bottom plate solved the issue. Anyway, I have razors that give me better shaves without the aggrivations.

My son figured out the sticking plates. Apparently, removing the plastic washer that I put between the handle and bottom plate solved the issue. Anyway, I have razors that give me better shaves without the aggrivations.

Well its good to hear you got that somewhat resolved and kept it in the family. I had to physically go and grab mine and investigate it. I used the washers that Doug sells and didn't have a problem.
The only other thing that bothers me about the Meta-4 is the extended top cap pin which forbids me from using most if not all of my other handles with the Meta-4 head but since the handle is a nice match and fairly good I don't mind. One thing I have noticed is if I used the bottom knob from my Razorock halo (I think thats the name) handle I can shorten it too as I had seen IAMCDB (Christopher Bailey) complain about the length of the handle so maybe that might help him too.

Well its good to hear you got that somewhat resolved and kept it in the family. I had to physically go and grab mine and investigate it. I used the washers that Doug sells and didn't have a problem.
The only other thing that bothers me about the Meta-4 is the extended top cap pin which forbids me from using most if not all of my other handles with the Meta-4 head but since the handle is a nice match and fairly good I don't mind. One thing I have noticed is if I used the bottom knob from my Razorock halo (I think thats the name) handle I can shorten it too as I had seen IAMCDB (Christopher Bailey) complain about the length of the handle so maybe that might help him too.
Yes, the screw thread is longer than most and for no apparent reason too. And while I am in a nit picking mood, the handle is too thick and bottom heavy and in my humble (perhaps not so humble) opinion not as well made as a Razorock SS razor.

Yes, the screw thread is longer than most and for no apparent reason too. And while I am in a nit picking mood, the handle is too thick and bottom heavy and in my humble (perhaps not so humble) opinion not as well made as a Razorock SS razor.

I don't mind the handle but just not having the option to use another handle takes away a little bit of that versatility that I like about DE razors. I don't actually mind the thickness but I can see where you are coming from. I haven't tried it but I imagine if you had a smaller bottom cap/tip like I did it would probably address the issue of the balance. I'd love to see a range of bottom caps/tips in a shorter length maybe or maybe some lighter titanium ones. Idk if it is worth it for Doug to pursue that though but he always has a trick or two up his sleeve and is constantly at work on something.

I don't mind the handle but just not having the option to use another handle takes away a little bit of that versatility that I like about DE razors. I don't actually mind the thickness but I can see where you are coming from. I haven't tried it but I imagine if you had a smaller bottom cap/tip like I did it would probably address the issue of the balance. I'd love to see a range of bottom caps/tips in a shorter length maybe or maybe some lighter titanium ones. Idk if it is worth it for Doug to pursue that though but he always has a trick or two up his sleeve and is constantly at work on something.
While this razor was in my possession, I tried different handles (RazoRock, Colonial, H&S, Masamune, Ikon) and they all were a perfect fit. Some didn’t fit at all (Karve, Fatip). Have you tried all your different razor handles?