Perma-Sharp Super - Changed packaging/wrappers?

Nick the Knife

Krill Enabler
Grand Society
Gents,

I like several others in these parts hold the PSS blades in very high esteem - hence when I heard that a relative of my wife's was visiting from Turkey I asked her to bring me a few boxes.

I was a tiny bit surprised to notice a minor change in their packaging.

Previously all the cardboard packed/5 to box/Russian made PSS's I've encountered were double wrappered - with the outer wrapper being identical to these.

However, these blades I just received whilst being absolutely identical in all aspects of their packaging are different in that they're ONLY SINGLE wrappered - and the wrapper is semi-see through - like the wax paper style ones.

There's also a slight differing of the font used on the blades - but this is very minor.

I've not used the blades yet and have no reason to believe the blades are anything but authentic but it's a curious minor difference.

Here's a pic I took - sorry about the poor quality - the OLD stock PSS is on the left (outer wrapper removed) - the new PSS is on the right in its ONLY wrapper out of the box.

mifcs9.jpg

It may not be related but I noticed a few threads over at YKW with folks discussing a similar change in the packaging/wrappers of Polsilver Super Iridium blades - being that I believe these come from the same MEGA blade factory in St Petersberg could be a general change in packaging to save a nano-ruble here and there.

Anyone else encountered this is recently received PSS's?

Cheers, Nick :)

Not yet, haven't bought any lately. But yes, PPI has moved to two-dot wax. The new Dark Platinums also show this pattern.

What was the source of these ones? was it BestShave or other? I know a number of sellers have popped up on eBay recently.

Pity. I liked the outer wrapping of the PSS. Just simple and to the point. So, in other words I've got a few old stock blades. Now all we need to do is spread the rumour that they're now made in a different factory, are hopelessly inferior and in a few years time my little stash will be worth a fortune. Sad thing is that it really wouldn't be hard to do.

Thanks for the replies.

These were evidently bought from a Barber's in Turkey. I've not used yet but will compare to old stock PSS's I have on hand - don't anticipate a difference but did through me a lil when I got them as I was like Hmmmmmmm.

Oh and FWIW the price I got ended up being VERY close to that which BestSHave sells theirs for, so it does shows that is a very good deal....I was actually a tad disappointed as I had no idea how much they'd cost me so told the relative to buy a set amount and I'd reimburse - I assumed they'd be 1/3 or 1/2 the BS price - but far more than this and if I'd known this I'd have ordered a fraction of what I got - but anyway they're the best current production blades I've used and at their price are prolly close to the best value all-around blade too (strictly IMHO anyway).

Oh and FWIW the price I got ended up being VERY close to that which BestSHave sells theirs for, so it does shows that is a very good deal....

Just goes to show that BestShave has great pricing, but we already knew that! I've sent many hundreds of dollars his way.

That said, I am enjoying my Maltesers right now for a change. Also very good blades, especially at the prices we paid way back when. The new prices are nearly triple what I paid landed!

Just goes to show that BestShave has great pricing, but we already knew that! I've sent many hundreds of dollars his way.
Yes, all things considered the pricing on some items at BS is very good - that said I know this relative didn't haggle or go to any effort with regards pricing or sourcing a better price, but as mentioned I was disappointed/surprised that the end cost to me was what it was. FWIW I ended up getting 10 boxes of 20 packs (1000 blades total) - she said she paid 330TL - which is around about $AUD165. I reimbursed her $AUD200 as she for some unknown reason posted them to me via a friend in SYD so had domestic postage on top - go figure. So like I said not enough of a saving that I'd have bought 1000 all over again. :-/

That said, I am enjoying my Maltesers right now for a change. Also very good blades, especially at the prices we paid way back when. The new prices are nearly triple what I paid landed!
For understandable reasons they're regulars in my blade rotation.........where have you seen them for sale? I've not spotted any of them for sale for a very long time. You grabbed 1000 of them didn't you? They were a real bargain at those prices indeed.

Post script....while the packaging may have changed it seems to me they're still the same 'blade' - got 5 very good shaves from the first one I tried and then relegated it to the wife's leg/underarm Gillette Tech.

Definitely one of the best blades I've used, amazing longevity whilst keeping a very nice balance between sharpness and smooth/ease of use. :)