NOS Vintage Blades - anything interesting?

Mark1966

Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
In all my cleaning up all I found were these three NOS Vintage Blades :sad2:

Anything worthwhile in these?

What! No forgotten double or single ring Gillettes? No NOS Bottom Dial Fatboys clattering around in a drawer somewhere? Don't know about the blades. RM will chime in I'm sure.

Sure will!

The Topco blades look for all money like Vintage Crystals or otherwise what we would call 'Israeli Personnas'. It has the same 'Super Platinum' printing on them, although I can read 'Made in USA' on them so it could be before they opened the Israeli plant. Should be a pretty decent blade, early to Mid-80's vintage I would say. I would happily use them.

The Wilks are more recent - you can buy them on eBay, although these are not current production. I can tell they are older blades due to the font on the front where it says 'Fits all double edge razors'. It's Swiss721BT, rather than Arial/Helvetica which came into the printing game later on. Also these can be accurately dated to a 7-year period due to the printing on the back. There is an address for Warner-Lambert. Warner-Lambert was a pharmacetical company who bought out Wilkinson Sword in 1993. They also bought Schick around the same time. Pfizer bought out Warner Lambert in 2000, so these blade are from within that period. These are Soligen-made blades, they perform ok.

Finally - the Personnas. These are the equivalent of the Personna Super Stainless I sent out in the vintage blades. Markings look similar, and I think they are later production. They may have a PTFE coating (Teflon to everyone else) due to the 'Glydex' logo on the pack. I think they would perform better in the glide stakes than the ones I sent out which were uncoated. These would be the pick of the bunch and I am definitely wanting to try them out.

Thanks RM - PM incoming for your address so I can send a couple of blades your way!

To the King of the Geeks RM

Sure will!

the font on the front where it says 'Fits all double edge razors'. It's Swiss721BT, rather than Arial/Helvetica which came into the printing game later on. .

I have to doff me hat to the best response ever. Where else but on a website full of geeky type people would you find a packet of razor blades being dated by the font used on the printing! I guess if you are the proud owner of 10000 odd blades you would spend some time studying the packets but this response did tickle my funnybone. All Hail RM Chief Forensic Officer of Razor Blades.
:)

I have to doff me hat to the best response ever. Where else but on a website full of geeky type people would you find a packet of razor blades being dated by the font used on the printing! I guess if you are the proud owner of 10000 odd blades you would spend some time studying the packets but this response did tickle my funnybone. All Hail RM Chief Forensic Officer of Razor Blades.
:)

Not at all - I was a graphic designer in a former life. Things like that jump out at me!