My first custom made brush

Mastropiero

Gone but not forgotten...
In Memoriam
Hi everyone, this one will be a bit of a long post, hope you bear with me.

I have never been a brush guy. I simply don't care enough for them. I do appreciate their beauty, there are brushes that are nothing short of works of art, many of them I have seen on this very forum (Hello @TroyTools), but I just can't see to get too interested on them. Straight razors are my poison of choice.

All this being said, a few years ago I met personally a guy, who doesn't do this for a living, but is extremely talented and has imagination to spare, both for his own designs and for custom orders. I actually shared a few of his brushes some time ago on this forum. I always knew that when the time would come for me to commission a brush, he'd be the guy.

I must say, I got inspired by a brush that @Gargravarr shared here with us, and by his story, I am talking about the brush that resembles the bottom of the sea.

It got me thinking about one of the natural beauties of my country of birth, Romania. In the Carpatians, on a plateau 2000 odd meters high, there's a natural rock formation, called The Sphynx of Bucegi (Bucegi being the name of the mountains in that area). The name is pretty self explanatory once you see the pictures:

6iNrQKQ.jpg

tdd5pvR.jpg

This brush fulfills a double purpose. I wanted to pay homage to my Dad, he passed away 11 years ago, and during the time we grew up in Romania, he'd take us as much as we could to the mountains he so much loved. The other purpose is to share some of the beauties we have in Romania; even though I am far from being a proud, flag-waving chest-beater, I could care less actually about all that, I do appreciate and try to share with others our culture, our beauties, our cuisine... the things that makes us, well, us.

I want to thank my dear friend Mikel Leon for the time, the patience and the love he has put into this brush.

I bring you "The Sphynx":

8LOaoOL.jpg

tYi4D7J.jpg

2bd4pLq.jpg

Sqh5zXG.jpg

OWoOHdx.jpg

o07zr2L.jpg

^^^ Ditto!

Great post @Mastropiero , I echo @StratMan , you can have pride in your culture without getting caught up in all sorts of issues. And I too don't really get the whole brush thing. For me, it's a way of getting lather on my face so I can shave, nothing more. I can appreciate the work of @TroyTools and others, but I can't justify spending lots of money on a lather applicator.

Having said that, I do appreciate your story and why you got this brush made. It is something special, and great workmanship. Enjoy having the great memories of your dad coming back whenever you use that brush.

I just like the poignancy behind the expression of personal experience and history in the form of an everyday tool. I do enjoy the variety of "lathering machines" available, especially the best of the current top of the range of synthetics, but a scintilla of an important memory encapsulated in a small handful of resin is just a wonderful thing.

Thank you very much for your replies, I am thrilled you like it.

I do know it is not a rabbit hole I will fall into, the whole brush concept I mean. I do have three other designs lined up for the guy, but that is just because I want them to be special. I can drool over a Simpson Chubby, or an old time Morris & Forndran until the cows come home, that doesn't mean I can be arsed to buy them. A brush made by this guy, however, according to my concept, that is a whole different matter.

He also surprised me by refusing to take any money for it. As I probably said at some point, I am happy to call him friend, and knowing that I am not going through my best moment ever (cancer has decided to show its ugly end yet again, this time an upgraded version), he wanted me to have it as a token of strength, lovely lad. Of course I had to correspond somehow so I gave him one of my dearest razors, the first razor I ever made scales for, my Op. 1. I digress, however.

The more I look at it, the prettier I find it and the more grateful I am. I am very happy you guys like it.

...and knowing that I am not going through my best moment ever (cancer has decided to show its ugly end yet again, this time an upgraded version)...
I'm sorry to hear that, it's not very fair of it to pick on the young, especially the young and talented. But of course fairness doesn't come into it. The cancer finally got to my dad last June, but he at least got to live a full life. I'm not sure I will, but I'm not nearly as nice a guy.

Thank you guys. It is true, there's nothing fair about it but then, there's nothing fair about 17 years old guys and girls getting either, and it's kind of much worse. It is what it is, onwards and upwards. I got two things right in my life first time of trying: my girlfriend (now beloved wife) and cancer. Hey, one good thing out of two it's not too bad, so I won't complain. ☺️

... and knowing that I am not going through my best moment ever (cancer has decided to show its ugly end yet again, this time an upgraded version), he wanted me to have it as a token of strength, lovely lad. ...

Mate, have others have said that is sucky. I pray that this brush will be a token of strength and remind you of the care and concern of others as you go through this journey.

I have three friends in different stages of a cancer journey, all are hard, but they all say much easier with friends and loved ones around you.

Great post @Mastropiero , I echo @StratMan , you can have pride in your culture without getting caught up in all sorts of issues. And I too don't really get the whole brush thing. For me, it's a way of getting lather on my face so I can shave, nothing more. I can appreciate the work of @TroyTools and others, but I can't justify spending lots of money on a lather applicator.

Having said that, I do appreciate your story and why you got this brush made. It is something special, and great workmanship. Enjoy having the great memories of your dad coming back whenever you use that brush.

It’s not about the destination, more so the journey 🇬🇷👍

So sorry to hear of your illness, @Mastropiero, and wishing you strength and good fortune in the future.
Your brush is magnificent - congratulations.
Cheers Tom, many thanks for the wishes and so happy you lot are liking the brush! I must say I am quite chuffed about it, can't wait to take it for a spin.

Thank you EVERYONE for the warm wishes.😘😘😘😘

What a truly special brush so thanks for sharing and wishing you success as you battle cancer as you have P&C Community wishing you strength! ❤️