Muhle R95 Rocca Birch Bark Appreciation Thread

I used to use the R41 as my daily driver, but I always had two issues with it: the handle is way too light and slippery - easily fixed with a nice chunky SS handle from Maggards. The other is that the deep flex of the blade makes for a head that's awkward to manoeuvre around my nose.

The R41 has a fearsome reputation, but I always think it's a bit overstated. Sure it'll bite you if you don't pay attention, but so will any razor. But the Rocca looks to me like the R41 done better.

In my opinion its a better razor than the 3one6. Noticably smoother and an effciency rate with a sharp blade around Karve SB - E plate level. The R94 handle is a pleasure to grip.

FYI The current R41 as per my testing, has an effciency rate between Karve SB F - G plate. The G plate is slighly more efficient.

Previous to the Karve SB - F plate the Rocca was my preferred razor. Now it's my No3

1. Ikon Tech
2. Karve SB F
3. Muhle Rocca R94

These are my top 3 DE razors. Each one a slight level of effciency more than the other. No bling, just beastly tool razors that get the job done smooth and efficient.

Last edited:
i have the r41 and enjoy it, gives me an incredible shave.. efficiency of the rocca is very close to the r41, but the weight is better, the shave is so much smoother I take no care when shaving with it but the r41 always commands attention and care or it will bite hard

This is it right here.

I have the R41, and when I have 3 day growth I absolutely LOVE using it, but I never ever get cocky with it or I'll pay the price.

If the rocca is a notch or 2 milder than the R41, sounds perfect to me. Like a 4 plate on the Rockwell is what I'm hoping for.

I pulled out the DE89 the other night for old times sake, it was too hard to shave with it again after being used to more agressive razors.

In my opinion its a better razor than the 3one6. Noticably smoother and an effciency rate with a sharp blade around Karve SB - E plate level. The R94 handle is a pleasure to grip.

Previous to the Karve SB - F plate the Rocca was my preferred razor. Now it's my No3

1. Ikon Tech
2. Karve SB F
3. Muhle Rocca R94

These are my top 3 DE razors. Each one a slight level of effciency more than the other. No bling just beastly tool razors that get the job done smoothly.
Great to see that the Rocca seems the better bet compared with the 3one6.
I own the Tech and it stays in its box as its way too much blade feel for my liking no mater the blade/quality of lather/technique.
Own the Karve SB D plate and find it OK but never wished to try the higher plates as the design never wowed me!
Enjoy the R41 but find the shaves require too much attention around my trouble spots so not worth the struggle as it'll bite when you lest expect it...

This is it right here.

I have the R41, and when I have 3 day growth I absolutely LOVE using it, but I never ever get cocky with it or I'll pay the price.

If the rocca is a notch or 2 milder than the R41, sounds perfect to me. Like a 4 plate on the Rockwell is what I'm hoping for.

I pulled out the DE89 the other night for old times sake, it was too hard to shave with it again after being used to more agressive razors.
Spot on @Phunk as no matter how hard I try to enjoy the milder razors (34C, DE89 varients) I quickly reach for the more efficient razors as they offer longer lasting rest between shaves!

This is it right here.

Its way above a plate 4 on the rockwell.. its above the plate 6 on the rockwell even.. if i were to guess i would say if rockwell made a plate 8 it would be about right BUT it is smoother than a plate 4 on the rockwell

Its way above a plate 4 on the rockwell.. its above the plate 6 on the rockwell even.. if i were to guess i would say if rockwell made a plate 8 it would be about right BUT it is smoother than a plate 4 on the rockwell
Mate you've enabled me to take a gamble and purchase the Rocca R94 after selling two great razors. If only B&B sold the Birch handle. :(

hmmm... well, this definitely throws a spanner in the works!

Definitely doesn't sound like something I'd be teaming up with a Feather blade then.

So looks like I'll be resembling Norman Gunston again for a few days till I hone it in

hmmm... well, this definitely throws a spanner in the works!

Definitely doesn't sound like something I'd be teaming up with a Feather blade then.

So looks like I'll be resembling Norman Gunston again for a few days till I hone it in

don’t fear the feather man!!! I use one on the r41 at times, the wr2 and the t95..

but prob best you do let start with one

If I had Seen the post I would of grabbed them, awesome deal

Congrats on your purchase!! looking forward to your shave report
From what started off as you asking advice regarding the Timeless Bronze has now become me following your lead and purchasing the Rocca... Well played!
Looking forward to trying it out as judging by the views on this Thread its a winner! (y)

Hahaha you have a bad case of RAD:LOL:

Quick somebody text Razor's other half about the purchase.:LOL:

Good choice.(y)
Hahaha @rhodes96 - all good with the misses considering I let 2 leave the den, to be replaced by just 1...
If it were up to her she'd prefer I sold them all but... no chance and last purchase for 2020! (y)

Mmhh getting the RADs :nailbiting: after the three great deals from P&C members this week. Which all I missed, so itchy for some stainless.

That the 10% coupon one or another one missing out on?
Yeah the generous 10% coupon from the other Thread. Very welcomed (y)

Hahaha @rhodes96 - all good with the misses considering I let 2 leave the den, to be replaced by just 1...
If it were up to her she'd prefer I sold them all but... no chance and last purchase for 2020! (y)
Mrs Gargravarr and I have had similar discussions. However, the subject of getting rid of them all does NOT come up: all I have to do is threaten to grow a beard. She hates beards. :LOL: