More 830 woes...

Drubbing

110% Smiley-Free
So I cleaned up my 830 and 1305 and they're back to lathering as they should. It's been a couple of weeks at least since I did this. Pulled out the 830 the other day, after previous numerous uses, and it's gone soft. Really soft. Usually if a boar is going to go floppy it does it over a period of time, not just overnight. The 1305 is fine, so I can't blame the cleaning.

My 1460, which is a fairly short but floppier brush by comparison, now feels firmer.

Anyone else with an 830 had this issue? Really annoying, as I really like this brush, but if it going to stay this, it's simply too soft to be of much use.

I haven't cleaned my 830 yet, it's still fairly robust and excels with soap.

I would imagine if yours has gone floppy (tee hee) then it isn't lathering soap like it should?

Remember not to soak the 830, once its break in, for over a minute.
Yeah followed that advice and treat all the boars like this, but even with mimimal soaking it's noticeably softer. Loading isn't the issue, it's once it's full of lather that it's overly soft. The backbone has become spineless.

My 1305 has always been like that once broken in. It's the softest boar brush I have ever owned.
My EJ BBB is incredibly soft but still does the job with soaps and lathering. I know what you mean though, a soft boar doesn't work as well as a soft badger, seems the worst of both worlds when a boar is soft. I tend to use the firmer SOC when I want a boar brush now instead of the 1305

Last edited:
My 1305 still has oodles of backbone though. Still soft at the tips. Great brush. I'm sure there's a little variation between all of them, after all the hair supply changes constantly.

I'm really liking the new badgers too, but after a little while I just like something with more scrub to it, so change up again.

Update:

I emailed Bruno @ Vintage Scent. Wrote to him about my experience with my 830. Thought Semogue would like to know, wasn't expecting anything. But he's sending me a new one.

Also apologised for email problems - he's still having them from his site and had to email me from his personal account, as the site responses kept bouncing back. RM had issues with getting in touch with him last year.

So, I don't know if anyone wants it, but I'll PIF my 830. Perhaps offered as a delurking pif, with some other freebies to get some more poster action here.

Update:

I emailed Bruno @ Vintage Scent. Wrote to him about my experience with my 830. Thought Semogue would like to know, wasn't expecting anything. But he's sending me a new one.

Also apologised for email problems - he's still having them from his site and had to email me from his personal account, as the site responses kept bouncing back. RM had issues with getting in touch with him last year.

So, I don't know if anyone wants it, but I'll PIF my 830. Perhaps offered as a delurking pif, with some other freebies to get some more poster action here.
So how are you doing with your new 830?

So how are you doing with your new 830?

It's only just landed, but so far, so good. I've no idea whether No1 was as firm or soft as this to begin with, but I'll just have to use and it and see how it goes.

I've PIFd No1, and hope the new owner likes it better.

It's fkn fantastic. Miles better than my current one. I see what you mean about it being soft but better than the pastry brush I had :D

It's fkn fantastic. Miles better than my current one. I see what you mean about it being soft but better than the pastry brush I had :D

That's great. If you have hard water, then it may need a good clean out in a few months. Borax seems to do the trick

Further update. I'm back using the 830, and being more practical with it. A quick rinse to get it wet enough for loading soap and it's fine.

The extra firmness on the soap counters one of the boar issues, that of not making enough lather on some occasions. This picks up plenty of soap for 3 passes and it softens up as you work up a lather. I'm burning through the 1/3 of the cake of Cade I had left, which had softened up a lot anyway, but that's not a problem. I think it just shows I'm using enough product.

If I use the 830 daily though, it doesn't really fully dry, so still ends up being a bit soft, but that's just me being picky, it still does the job.

Further update. I'm back using the 830, and being more practical with it. A quick rinse to get it wet enough for loading soap and it's fine.

The extra firmness on the soap counters one of the boar issues, that of not making enough lather on some occasions. This picks up plenty of soap for 3 passes and it softens up as you work up a lather. I'm burning through the 1/3 of the cake of Cade I had left, which had softened up a lot anyway, but that's not a problem. I think it just shows I'm using enough product.

If I use the 830 daily though, it doesn't really fully dry, so still ends up being a bit soft, but that's just me being picky, it still does the job.

Having seen your 1460 (it is a 1460 isn't it?), the soft boar bristle seems to me an attempt at making boar feel like badger. Similar to the "looks just like badger" staining they and other manufacturers do. I have two boars. One's pretty rough and benifits from a bit of soaking and the other, similar to the 1460, has very fine hair, noodles out when wet and is pretty insipid to use I prefer the rough one and the other one is getting the chop together with your 1460. Long live the cheap drug store boar!

I'm experiencing that too - if I swap between the badger and the boar, eventually the 830 dries.

Otherwise I'm using a soft and slightly moist brush. It still works fine on soaps though.

I'm reserving my 830 for use with Razorock until that's all gone.

Last edited by a moderator: