Matching the right blade to the razor

I believe that Flare-Tip was an official Gillette name. They started production in 1954 and ended in 1966 when the black handled Gillettes came in to production.

Razor used: Gillette TTO 1958

Blade used: Feather

Number of passes/type: 2 passs WTG/ATX

Closeness of Shave: 8/10 This has been the closest shave so far.

Comfort of Shave: 7/10 This was a less than comfortable shave because I know how sharp these blades are - scary sharp - and it psyched me out.

Post-shave irritation/cuts: One cut on lower neck, which is where I almost always get a cut with Feathers. No irritation on the rest of the face but lower neck was a bit tingly.

Overall score for blade/razor combo: 7/10 Despite the cut this was a pretty good shave with the Feather.

Comments: I have to say the Feather might be the best blade in this razor. The sharpness of the blade makes up for the mild razor and even though it still feels like there is nothing in the razor, we all know there's a damned dangerous sharp Feather in there just waiting to bite me. Even so - it still doesn't feel like there is anything in the razor and after using three different blades (which I feel are a pretty good cross sectionof available blades) I don't think I will be using this razor again. Just too mild and not what I am looking for.

I'm taking a break from these razors. I really don't think they are for me and I prefer something with more exposure of the blade.

The more I try a TTO razor, the less confidence I have in finding one that is any good for me and my technique.

Whereas a three piece razor I can get a lovely result from with minimal experimentation.

I may come back to this page and continue with some different blades in the future but for now the two razors will be cleaned, sterilised and put into storage.

The flare tip and krona and both pretty mild razors - the three piece tend to be more aggressive as a general rule

I tried Derby ages ago when I first got my kit from shaving.ie.

I got a pack of Derby blades, used one or two and passed them on.

A long time ago but I don't recall liking them. Of course that may have changed by now as my technique has changed.