Lansky G5A versus G5C?

nav1

Active Member from afar
2018 Sabbatical Fail
Hi Gents

I've got the G5C and really enjoy it.
I'm wondering how it compares with the G5A?

Are they the same knot with different colour scheme?

Hey @nav1 from my understanding the G5C is made in Japan and G5A is made in Germany, I think

From the accounts posted here the G5C is the winner out of the two, but as long as it is set high as possible in the brush

The lansky HD is a different brush.. I’ve got a lansky and G5C and like be them both

Thanks mate!

I saw the oumo G5A is from Germany.
I believe the Lansky G5A and G5C are not German fibres.

If both the Lanksy knots are the same, I'll skip it as I already have the G5C.

Am I understanding it correctly?

no the lansky HD is a different knot all together, HD stands for high desnisty

'Purply Haze' is a 24mm Lansky HD and 'Apollo' is a 26mm G5C. They have similar densities in knot but the G5C is slightly more-dense as should be expected. The G5C fibres are made in Japan

The G5C has little more backbone and the Lansky splays a little easier

When I was googling around for the lansky I didnt find much about it but i can assure you its an amazing knot, possibly my favourite but the G5C is also right up there.

These two brushes are my favourites for sure

52620574166_bf891363da_c.jpg

Hi Gents

I've got the G5C and really enjoy it.
I'm wondering how it compares with the G5A?

Are they the same knot with different colour scheme?
The AP Shave Co G5A is a totally different knot to the G5C. Apart from the configuration (bulb vs fan), the G5A fibres are slightly shorter. The G5A is an effective and efficient lather master, much more scrubby than the G5C. Just stay away from the G5B, which is a disappointment by comparison with its siblings.

Thank you gents!

I've realised I was confusing myself...

The Lansky are not named G5A & G5C.
They are actually G5-S and G5-2B (listed on the wet shaving co site).

I've got the G5-2B, which does look like the apshave G5C, but the lansky is bulb rather than fan.

The Lansky G5-S however looks different to the apshave G5A (which I believe is the Oumo G5A HD knot).
Hence my confusion!

@StratMan
Is your Lansky HD knot the one listed on the wet shaving co. site?

Also, your G5C is from apshave right?

no the lansky HD is a different knot all together, HD stands for high desnisty

'Purply Haze' is a 24mm Lansky HD and 'Apollo' is a 26mm G5C. They have similar densities in knot but the G5C is slightly more-dense as should be expected. The G5C fibres are made in Japan

The G5C has little more backbone and the Lansky splays a little easier

When I was googling around for the lansky I didnt find much about it but i can assure you its an amazing knot, possibly my favourite but the G5C is also right up there.

These two brushes are my favourites for sure

52620574166_bf891363da_c.jpg

The AP Shave Co G5A is a totally different knot to the G5C. Apart from the configuration (bulb vs fan), the G5A fibres are slightly shorter. The G5A is an effective and efficient lather master, much more scrubby than the G5C. Just stay away from the G5B, which is a disappointment by comparison with its siblings.

@nav1 yeah my G5C came from ap shave co but my lansky HD came from blue devil shave co, back when the site was running

this is what I have I reckon, looks the same and the S stands for silvertip colours

Lansky HD 24mm

Cool!
It's starting to get clearer now.

One more thing...is the apshave G5C more scrubby, softer, or the same as the lansky HD?

Cool!
It's starting to get clearer now.

One more thing...is the apshave G5C more scrubby, softer, or the same as the lansky HD?

They both have the same ultra soft feel on the face but the lansky hd splays with less pressure, enough to def notice, and the G5C has more backbone

This characteristic is the same when loaded with soap. I only face lather and can def notice a difference.. I would say the lansky would feel more like a silvertip and the G5C more of a 2-band badger

But bear in mind that both mine are custom brushes from @TroyTools and not bought pre-made from a store

Why do I mention this? Because the fibres are not the longest so to get the feel I’m describing above the knots need to be set high

I once got a g5 oumo and it’s useless, the fibres are short and the knot is set low in the brush making it quite stiff and unusable, so that’s def something to consider

Plus no shop bought brush will come close to the beauty of these babies :)

...Plus no shop bought brush will come close to the beauty of these babies :)
Well said. (y) :) And Troy's brushes are stupendous value for money anyway, so there's no need to even consider run-of-the-mill factory-made offerings.

If you were to buy an AP Shave Co knot already set in an AP Shave Co handle, I'd be willing to bet you'd be disappointed. Just about any of the modern generations of synthetic knots benefit from being set as high in the socket as possible (hiding the glue plug) in order to give the fibres sufficiently free movement. Constricting the knot just kills it, as it's the spaces between the fibres that hold the lather, not the fibres themselves. It might help to draw a comparison with a woolly jumper. It's not the fibres that keep you warm, it's all the pockets of air that they enclose.

They both have the same ultra soft feel on the face but the lansky hd splays with less pressure, enough to def notice, and the G5C has more backbone

This characteristic is the same when loaded with soap. I only face lather and can def notice a difference.. I would say the lansky would feel more like a silvertip and the G5C more of a 2-band badger

But bear in mind that both mine are custom brushes from @TroyTools and not bought pre-made from a store

Why do I mention this? Because the fibres are not the longest so to get the feel I’m describing above the knots need to be set high

I once got a g5 oumo and it’s useless, the fibres are short and the knot is set low in the brush making it quite stiff and unusable, so that’s def something to consider

Plus no shop bought brush will come close to the beauty of these babies :)

Awesome, thanks mate!

I've ordered the lansky HD G5-S knot.
I've also read some horror stories about the oumo G5A. If I ever bother getting one, I'll definitely set it myself!

FYI...

I got confirmation from the wet shaving co that the G5-S and G5-2B are exactly the same knot, just different colour.

I really love the G5-2B knot (it has moved to #2 spot after Muhle STF) so I grabbed a G5-S, just to have the other colour variant of this beautiful knot!

My 24mm G5-2B is set at 55mm which is perfection. Good density with excellent splay. I don't need to mash it on my face at all...It has a very progressive splay.

FYI...I confirmed with style & swagger that the lansky HD synthetics are being discontinued by them.

There's only a few of the 2B and one of the S remaining (same knot, different colours).

It's a fantastic knot at a great price.
I'd definitely recommend adding it to the den!

FYI...I confirmed with style & swagger that the lansky HD synthetics are being discontinued by them.

There's only a few of the 2B and one of the S remaining (same knot, different colours).

It's a fantastic knot at a great price.
I'd definitely recommend adding it to the den!
I'm really disappointed with that website now they have taken it over. Dave used to sell some great cheap products. I didn't care that they were Chinese as some of those knots and razors were great performers for the price. Now they have turned it into a store that sells the same stuff as everybody else. I just order everything I want from Aliexpress, it just takes longer.

I'm really disappointed with that website now they have taken it over. Dave used to sell some great cheap products. I didn't care that they were Chinese as some of those knots and razors were great performers for the price. Now they have turned it into a store that sells the same stuff as everybody else. I just order everything I want from Aliexpress, it just takes longer.

Oh, I wasn't really aware of that as I haven't ordered much from either outfit.

I ordered the 2B from TWSco. last year and love it! So I thought to pick up the silvertip colour variant.

I love its perfect density and very progressive splay. I believe it's the only premium fibre that's produced in China. The other premium fibres coming from Thailand, Germany and Japan.

Couldn't agree more.

Do you have the correct web link? Please.

Sure...

The 2B is discounted to $20
The S is discounted to $13.
Last year, these were $25.

This is a stock clearance price.
Shipping was just $5.

Thank you gents!

I've realised I was confusing myself...

The Lansky are not named G5A & G5C.
They are actually G5-S and G5-2B (listed on the wet shaving co site).

I've got the G5-2B, which does look like the apshave G5C, but the lansky is bulb rather than fan.

The Lansky G5-S however looks different to the apshave G5A (which I believe is the Oumo G5A HD knot).
Hence my confusion!

@StratMan
Is your Lansky HD knot the one listed on the wet shaving co. site?

Also, your G5C is from apshave right?
I have the Oumo G5 and luck had it the knot fitted a spare handle I had perfectly with ideal loft and although compact the knot preforms great with face feel comparable to my 2 band badgers yet the G5 dries in half the time. In hindsight I should've just gone with a AP Shave Co G5C as the fan shape suits the shorter fibers better but having purchased a few knots from them before the wait times from Canada were too long so I went with the local option and it get regular use over more expensive badger brushes.

I have the Oumo G5 and luck had it the knot fitted a spare handle I had perfectly with ideal loft and although compact the knot preforms great with face feel comparable to my 2 band badgers yet the G5 dries in half the time. In hindsight I should've just gone with a AP Shave Co G5C as the fan shape suits the shorter fibers better but having purchased a few knots from them before the wait times from Canada were too long so I went with the local option and it get regular use over more expensive badger brushes.

I picked up an apshaveco G5A (which I believe is the oumo G5) and G5B from an online friend. I'm looking forward to comparing them to the lansky HD.
But I'll have to wait a few months until my sister-in-law brings it to me from London.

I'm confident nothing will match the Muhle STF but I'm still interested in trying a few more premium knots.

I didn't enjoy premium brushes such as chubby 2 platinum and omega evo.

The ones I really like are: Muhle STF, lansky HD, FS G7, DS cosmetic "soft".

My Muhle STF is a little unique in that it's from an older batch where the tips aren't as pillowy as the current evolution of the STF fibre.
It's really extraordinary how it mimics a silvertip badger!!