How Sharp?

Jacobeen

Time alone will tell how good an idea this is (and an O type blood). I have come from knives and see the sharpening standard of the straight cut razor as a goal. Plus my grandfather was a barber who stropped blades about the house and I have a 'Tam o Shanter' of his. So, if I can just absorb ideas to refine skills and then practice on my face... hey, what could go wrong?

Jacobeen

Welcome to Paste & Cut, @Jacobeen

@Mark is considered by many to be a world master honer of straight razors. I'm sure he can set you on the right path.

Do you practice wet shaving today or just starting to get into it? Many guys around here who can provide tips on brushes, soaps, aftershaves, etc.

Welcome @Jacobeen

A few of the lads here have recently started honing their own straight razors and others have been at it a while. Quite a few own and sharpen knives also. So ask your questions if you have any. [emoji106]

So, if I can just absorb ideas to refine skills and then practice on my face... hey, what could go wrong?

p3JbAnt.jpg

blood_in_my_bathroom_by_rookio.jpg

Jeremy-Clarkson-ranting-h-007.jpg

Welcome! As others have said, Talk to @Mark - he is literally around the corner from you.

Welcome @Jacobeen- hope you will enjoy your journey!

Welcome to the insanity.
Hope your stay is long and mutually fruitful.
What is your current equipment list ?

Welcome @Jacobeen.

Now how sharp were the sharp knives you are referring to?

Unfortunately there is no real unit to measure sharp. My Japanese kitchen knife is currently at the same level as my straight razors. My Gerber hunting knife for example is not forged and the heat treatment is very poor therefore won't hold up very well when after exceeding a #1000 whetstone with practical use which is actually the very first step in a straight razor.

One thing I can say, if you have a "sharp fetish" like many of us do including myself then you will love straight razors.

Thanks for the welcome men, Just taking the baby steps so far, been given an old razor to begin sharpening with and have acquired coticule, chinese 13K and soon a welsh stone to compliment diamond and man made hones.

Sorry, fell victim to format and a slip of the typing fingers. The above describes my current stones and also have raw leather for strops. My gifted practice razor is a Gotta (Sheffield steel, ground in Germany). No brush, soaps etc. While I have looked at Japanese stones I'm still trying to come to grips with limited suppliers and name versus definition/grit equivalent.

I had a Gerber knife some years ago that was good in the bush but someone decided they needed it more than me. Recent Gerber suffer from 'Made un USA'. My Gerber machete rippled its' blade and fractured out a large chunk while track clearing?! Repaired now and will try again with different blade geometry. I have a range of knives mostly custom but working models and those would commonly be at arm shaving level (but not above skin). Kitchen knives too get worked on but the poor things are abused. Idle threats prevent the masses touching the japanese ones.

I should like to understand the quality of manufacture of straight razors - metallurgy, grinding and heat treatment if anyone had a good book they could recommend.

Jacobeen

I went, I looked and sh*t, oh dear, they are jewellery. The Australian Boxer too - wow!
D'ya reckon I should start with say the basic Domo? I simply don't want doubt about material quality. Have begun honing practice with the old Gotto and making ground tho question marks might require a digi microscope to resolve.

Jacobeen

All of my Japanese knives will do that, but they're no good for shaving (except for the time-honoured and silly practice of shaving bits of arm hair). I haven't smoked rollies (or anything else for that matter) for decades, but I still keep a pack of Rizla Green in my toolbox for occasions when I need a 0.001" feeler gauge. It's a bit more sensitive than using a steel one.