Hones of the day

My trans Ark is lapped and is waxy smooth. they are wonderful hones. I use an oil/kero mix for honing and must not allow my Japanese stones to play too closely to the oiled Arks.
I cannot get over how the Translucent or the black will refine even the finest edge.
Steve

Tis1404.jpg

S.K. Colling “14” honed on an Iromono kiita koppa with mikawa slurry

Today I decided to experiment. You may have read me saying that I don't believe in jumping from stone to stone, trying to achieve that perfect edged. I use always the same progression, finishing on a glorious Escher, that I have come to know very well.

Today, however, I decided to try something different. I have owned for ages a Coticule combo, there's a Lorraine on one side and whatever yellow Coti on the other one.

I investigated a bit, found out you could take a razor from bevel setting to your face with just the Lorraine

I didn't go that far, but after setting a nice bevel on the razor, the rest of the job was done with the Lorraine, via several dilutions of slurry. The shave was absolutely glorious, a smoother edge than with the Escher, but my god, effective!!!!

Obviously, GBS™️ was achieved.

LEWIVvO.jpg

Today I decided to experiment. You may have read me saying that I don't believe in jumping from stone to stone, trying to achieve that perfect edged. I use always the same progression, finishing on a glorious Escher, that I have come to know very well.

Today, however, I decided to try something different. I have owned for ages a Coticule combo, there's a Lorraine on one side and whatever yellow Coti on the other one.

I investigated a bit, found out you could take a razor from bevel setting to your face with just the Lorraine

I didn't go that far, but after setting a nice bevel on the razor, the rest of the job was done with the Lorraine, via several dilutions of slurry. The shave was absolutely glorious, a smoother edge than with the Escher, but my god, effective!!!!

Obviously, GBS™️ was achieved.

LEWIVvO.jpg
That's the routine I am currently using and finishing with water only on the yellow side. Can just imagine how many original old natural combination stones are wasted by using only the yellow side.

My first attempt at honing a smiler. Rolling X strokes removed the Sharpie evenly on the Shapton Glass 2K as I set a nice bevel, so I moved on to the Tamagoiro with a tomo and then mikawa slurry. Finished on lather. Treetopping after stropping on linen was extremely satisfying; really looking forward to the first shave! :)

3LJ7oPP.jpg

My first attempt at honing a smiler. Rolling X strokes removed the Sharpie evenly on the Shapton Glass 2K as I set a nice bevel, so I moved on to the Tamagoiro with a tomo and then mikawa slurry. Finished on lather. Treetopping after stropping on linen was extremely satisfying; really looking forward to the first shave! :)

3LJ7oPP.jpg
When the spine-wear and smiling edge are about parallel, there is no need to rolling X strokes. With a flat honing surface, both the spine-wear and the length of the smiling edge is in equal contact with the honing surface.

Where you do need to do rolling X strokes is when you have a smiling edge and the spine-wear area is not near parallel.

When the spine-wear and smiling edge are about parallel, there is no need to rolling X strokes. With a flat honing surface, both the spine-wear and the length of the smiling edge is in equal contact with the honing surface.

Where you do need to do rolling X strokes is when you have a smiling edge and the spine-wear area is not near parallel.

I'm not convinced. In order to remove the sharpie evenly along the bevel I had to do a (very light) roll, and simultaneously sweep the blade in a crescent along the stone (heel leading → toe leading). Otherwise I'd be honing only the middle of the blade, which over time would be sub-optimal.

I'm not convinced. In order to remove the sharpie evenly along the bevel I had to do a (very light) roll, and simultaneously sweep the blade in a crescent along the stone (heel leading → toe leading). Otherwise I'd be honing only the middle of the blade, which over time would be sub-optimal.
Geometrically my previous post is correct. Of course, when honing you do what works for you.

My Stiz Utro has a smiling edge and matching smiling spine-wear. It requires no rolling X strokes to remove the sharpie ink from the full length of the edge.

A GD W59 with factory edge has a "laughing" edge and straight spine-wear area (although its spine is also laughing). That definitely requires rolling X strokes to properly hone.

Looking at your smiling edge above, your edge and spinehwear are nowhere near parallel towards the heel. That would require rolling X strokes.

Ulrik's edge finally started to drop away, so took this back to the stones.

Shapton Kuromaku 5k → Naniwa Gouken 8k → Black Shadow with a light slurry → lather.

Dh9odV8.jpg
How are you doing with that Black Shadow, what are your thoughts on it? I tried it twice and didn't like even a bit working on it.

By then I had also discovered what a lovely edge I can get off of a Lorraine, or, of her flat partner, a yellow Coti. Those, and my trusted Escher, made me lose interest in the Black Shadow, so I sold it.

How are you doing with that Black Shadow, what are your thoughts on it? I tried it twice and didn't like even a bit working on it.

By then I had also discovered what a lovely edge I can get off of a Lorraine, or, of her flat partner, a yellow Coti. Those, and my trusted Escher, made me lose interest in the Black Shadow, so I sold it.

It took a while for me to learn what it likes; but now I really enjoy the edges. The only downside is that it is slow, but I'm fine with that - I'm not in a hurry to get a nice edge, I don't mind standing in the garage, with the radio on, running steel over a slab of smooth stone! :)

It took a while for me to learn what it likes; but now I really enjoy the edges. The only downside is that it is slow, but I'm fine with that - I'm not in a hurry to get a nice edge, I don't mind standing in the garage, with the radio on, running steel over a slab of smooth stone! :)
Glad you're enjoying it. For me, it was giving me a sticky feel, I found myself having to actively drag the razor on the stone, with some force, because of the sticky feeling.

Glad you're enjoying it. For me, it was giving me a sticky feel, I found myself having to actively drag the razor on the stone, with some force, because of the sticky feeling.

I can see why that would be unappealing. I do dress the stone with 1k wet and dry after each time I lap it flat with a diamond plate. But even when I first got it, I don't recall any stickiness. Either I got a good one, or you may have got a dud? :p

I can see why that would be unappealing. I do dress the stone with 1k wet and dry after each time I lap it flat with a diamond plate. But even when I first got it, I don't recall any stickiness. Either I got a good one, or you may have got a dud? :p
Mate, fuck if I know. Maybe we were a mismatch, maybe I didn't want to put in the work. I don't know and frankly, its water under the bridge. It's gone, it's done, I have my Escher, and I'm starting to finally appreciate good quality coffee.

This means my attention span has widened, which brings extra expenses that need to be somehow covered.

I need to stop doing this to myself, I absolutely did not need coffee in my life.

Mate, fuck if I know. Maybe we were a mismatch, maybe I didn't want to put in the work. I don't know and frankly, its water under the bridge. It's gone, it's done, I have my Escher, and I'm starting to finally appreciate good quality coffee.

This means my attention span has widened, which brings extra expenses that need to be somehow covered.

I need to stop doing this to myself, I absolutely did not need coffee in my life.

Lol. I know that feeling... Something, anything, catches your eye, like a pocket knife, or a pen, or a pencil, etc., and you are like "Hm, I wonder what the deal is with those? I'll just do a quick google..." RIP my wallet. :eek:

You absolutely did. ;)

The good news is you can buy first-rate green beans and roast them yourself much more cheaply than if you'd bought roasted beans from trendy shops. Just one more rabbit-hole, that's all... :ROFLMAO: