Hi everyone

JaggardJ

I took up traditional slaving in reaction to covid. Something about lockdown drew me to playing with sharp things :)
Since then I have taken up up shaving with wild abandon.
I have a modest collection of DE's, straight razors, honing stones and soaps.
My current favourite is an AC shavette which has me wondering if a hawk v3 aggressive could deliver an even better shave than my DE's.
I'm about to move from New Zealand to Melbourne which will be great. Among other things it will give me access to more aftershaves which are harder to get here.

Welcome @JaggardJ !

A COVID inspired transformation is a transformation still :)

Looking forward to welcoming you to AUS as well. There was a tradition of meet ups in MEL pre-COVID, maybe that will revive.

Fascinated that you got into straights as well - kudos!

I took up traditional slaving in reaction to covid. Something about lockdown drew me to playing with sharp things :)
Since then I have taken up up shaving with wild abandon.
I have a modest collection of DE's, straight razors, honing stones and soaps.
My current favourite is an AC shavette which has me wondering if a hawk v3 aggressive could deliver an even better shave than my DE's.
I'm about to move from New Zealand to Melbourne which will be great. Among other things it will give me access to more aftershaves which are harder to get here.
Welcome @JaggardJ, I do find the Hawk V3 OC to be the pinnacle of acceptably comfortable aggressive razors slightly less aggressive but more efficient than Dart, R41 and JAWS but YMMV

Welcome aboard @JaggardJ :)

I like the AC blades too. The Hawk SB is what I would describe as a mild but efficient razor, with the OC just a bit more efficient. I found the teeth on the OC a bit too pointy (much more so than the JAWS) when shaving my head, so I had to revert to the SB. Like many, I used to go all-in for more aggressive razors, but now I just like them to be efficient. Of course, some of us go the other way. If you're playing with straights, you most likely already have all the aggression you need. :p

Welcome aboard @JaggardJ :)

I like the AC blades too. The Hawk SB is what I would describe as a mild but efficient razor, with the OC just a bit more efficient. I found the teeth on the OC a bit too pointy (much more so than the JAWS) when shaving my head, so I had to revert to the SB. Like many, I used to go all-in for more aggressive razors, but now I just like them to be efficient. Of course, some of us go the other way. If you're playing with straights, you most likely already have all the aggression you need. :p
After reading opinions from thoroughly qualified people on the net I have gleaned that the "A" may be less aggressive than the OC, and the standard bar may be too mild.
My DE daily driver is a DS9 (GC84 clone) or a shavette. Of course more opinions are welcome - bring it on enablers!

After reading opinions from thoroughly qualified people on the net I have gleaned that the "A" may be less aggressive than the OC, and the standard bar may be too mild.
My DE daily driver is a DS9 (GC84 clone) or a shavette. Of course more opinions are welcome - bring it on enablers!e
GC_84-P is my benchmark daily driver for smooth efficiency and both the Hawk OC and Standard were too aggressive for daily FME. I just preferred end result of the OC smoothness and efficiency. Not a daily driver but can be used for up to 5 shaves before irritation starts. If not already get some real straights instead of shavette.

Welcome to P&C @JaggardJ - great to have you here (y)

Thanks @Holiday, good info on the hawk.
My progression has been DE > SR > shavette.
I have about 20 vintage DE, 20 SR's, 8 stones, 8 soaps (+ some samples), and a few aftershaves. So I have covered a lot of ground. I find honing surprisingly relaxing.
The shavette gives me the nicest shave particularly on ATG under the chin.
Nice collection for starters :) Agree with honing, I find it very therapeutic except when you cannot get a decent edge, then its just frustrating.
I too went DE > Str8 > shavette > then > vintage SE > SE > Inj and still dabbling in the vintage SE and Injectors but because I went Str8 before shavette have not really embraced shavette as much as I would like to.
If you are looking for the next best thing to a str8 then Vintage SE (with the correct blade and angle) are well worth the experience.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcomes all.
@Holiday yes a trip to the local junk store vintage razor shop for a schick injector is on the cards - why not get another blade format eh?
Why stop at one new blade format? I was referring to vintage SE (Gem) style like the British Made 1912 only because that is the only one I have experience with. Will have more to compare after this week with the Streamline.
Happy shaving @JaggardJ the alternate blade format is a good excuse when avoiding other styles and I used it for a couple of years but IMHO you are missing out if not experiencing Injector and Gem razors that can be bought dirt cheap and perform as good if not better than modern razors and many look awesome and stylish :)