GSLer seeks safe harbour

bushranger

G'day Paste and Cut. This morning I was corresponding with Mark1966 (who referred me here) on B&B after discovering GSL has gone the way of the Dodo!:wacko: I was about to check in and ask for non-shaving advice - which I will post in another thread.

GSL was my go-to page on the shaving forums, enjoying the social network of so many people. I hope this is the new 'club house' for previous GSLers and GodZoners? I did not notice a member list, so I don't know who from the 150 Great Southern Landers are here?

Some of you will recognise me, others may not. To each of you, "Greetings, good to 'meet up' with you again"!

best wishes, Craig

Welcome Craig....

And it's more a refuge for Aussies that are just sick to death of the over-moderation over 'YKW'....

Umm, what is a GSL when it's alive ?

Umm, what is a GSL when it's alive ?

The Great Southern Land social group on B&B.

It was sort of outside the normal forum and a little bit of rule bending went on occasionally :)

Welcome Craig - glad you found us !

Ahh, an acronym.

I take it being sort of outside the forum is why it wasn't visible.

What happened to it ?

What happened to it ?

It was a 'User Group' in vBulletin, which was taken out of the software in v5.

YKW updated vBulletin to Version 5 and they lost the user groups. The GSL was the second largest group.

Wow, comes across as quite short sighted of those that run the joint.

BTW, is the site a not for profit or for profit exercise ?
I know sites like CandlePowerForums faced a controversial transition from the originator to the current owner and is ran for profit, causing issues in bias, elitism and fanboism and wondering if B&B's issues may be related.

Hello Craig. We in the West have long considered having our own little chat room because all the others are just bullies. Pity about GSL.

Last edited:
Hey guys, what's up? Good to see some familiar faces.

Yeah, GSL along with all the other social groups had to go with the site redesign. I was as sorry to see it happen as anyone.

Hello Craig. We in the West have long considered having our own little chat room because all the others are just bullies. Pity about GSL.

Yup PJ and Drubbing can impress the hell out of each other on a daily basis ( We will take Jug as an honorary human) :)

Hey guys, what's up? Good to see some familiar faces.

Yeah, GSL along with all the other social groups had to go with the site redesign. I was as sorry to see it happen as anyone.

I'm pretty sure that when they evaluated the affect of the new site design that the loss of social groups would have been very low on their radar and I suspect many of the moderators would have been happy at their demise. They always hated having little or no control outside the main board. They were even trying to patrol PMs when I was there, just in case you mentioned a banned vendor. It was like a little Orwellian nightmare that site.

I'm pretty sure that when they evaluated the affect of the new site design that the loss of social groups would have been very low on their radar and I suspect many of the moderators would have been happy at their demise. They always hated having little or no control outside the main board. They were even trying to patrol PMs when I was there, just in case you mentioned a banned vendor. It was like a little Orwellian nightmare that site.

WOW :amazed:

A tad paranoid, don't you think ?

Not really, after you get a warning for PMing the details of a banned supplier to somebody. Banned as it turned out for advertising products cheaper than a shop run by one of the moderators (I think it's West Coast Shaving). I even spelt the name backwards just in case it got picked up by their automatic banned suppliers list detector (and yes, they had one of those!). The guy sent me the warning and literally half an hour later he officially announced on the site that after due moderator consideration and discussion they'd stopped monitoring PMs and searching for banned suppliers communications amongst members. At the very least I thought there was somethng seriously wrong with that site.

At first I thought you meant YKW being paranoid. But yes, they really are. You had to be there to see some of the shit that went down. PJ has highlighted one such method they use to track people who exhibited 'subversive' behaviour. Members were right to be paranoid. Let's not forget the mod/retailer there that was running a business, mostly riding on trade from YKW, then went down the pan, and actively fleeced masses of members as he did so.

I had a gut full one day and told one of the aus mods I'd had it with the place, and listed the reasons why it was a pit of nepotistic hype. He obliged me with a lifetime ban less than a minute after he got the message.

It's pretty pathetic, they really do think they're of some global importance over there.

Not really, after you get a warning for PMing the details of a banned supplier to somebody. Banned as it turned out for advertising products cheaper than a shop run by one of the moderators (I think it's West Coast Shaving). I even spelt the name backwards just in case it got picked up by their automatic banned suppliers list detector (and yes, they had one of those!). The guy sent me the warning and literally half an hour later he officially announced on the site that after due moderator consideration and discussion they'd stopped monitoring PMs and searching for banned suppliers communications amongst members. At the very least I thought there was somethng seriously wrong with that site.

Yeah, not aimed at you, yet at YKW :)
Glad I'm not a member there.
West Coast Shaving can join the "Do not use" list for such unsavoury practices, if not anti competitive/illegal.

Drubbing, who is the other company you're talking about, the one that fleeced multiple members ?
They can join the same list.

IIRC, the mod's name was Third Eye. Can't remember the name of his business, although it was widely spruiked there. But it's dead and gone now. Given the history, you'll probably need a PhD in Comp Science backend logistics to find any mention of it on their site anymore.

Last edited: