Gradually changing razors down a gear.

Blackie

The guy from over the ditch
I used to like a more aggressive razor, but as I get older my skin is changing.
I'm having to change down a gear (from overdrive 5th gear down to 4th gear sort of thing).
Have had to reduce the Karve from my favourite 'F' plate to a lowly 'E' plate.
Aaarrrgggghhh...where will it end?
May have to go down to a 'D' one day (sob, sob).
The Timeless .95 OC is still OK though, and I have the .68 OC plate if I get desperate.
I do have my lovely wee .53 Mamba...another 10 years and I might have to start using that.
Still using a collection of various Blue Devil soaps, with some Whispers from the Woods waiting in the wings.
So I don't think it's a soap issue. Just soft, paper thin skin. No nicks, cuts, weepers at all...just my skin now appreciates a milder shave.
I still do a 2nd pass using the Pearl Flexi set on '6', but that's a mild razor anyway.
Any of you folks noticed your razor preference changing to something milder as you age?

Not in razors. I still like an aggressive razor however, it's my preference in brushes which were always boars or something with a lot of backbone that's changing. As I get older, I'm preferring a softer brush like a silvertip or synthetic.

I don't know whether it's because I'm getting soft in my old age or it's the synthetic knot that's getting better as they progress :LOL:

I suspect anyone over 50 is likely to notice it takes less to break the skin than when we were 30. :unsure: Yes, you too @Stratman, you have that to look forward to. :LOL:

I don't think that's why I've stepped down a gear though. I used to use the R41 and then the JAWS on a daily basis, but now I like milder but efficient razors. I should have made that move years ago.

I suspect anyone over 50 is likely to notice it takes less to break the skin than when we were 30. :unsure: Yes, you too @Stratman, you have that to look forward to. :LOL:

I don't think that's why I've stepped down a gear though. I used to use the R41 and then the JAWS on a daily basis, but now I like milder but efficient razors. I should have made that move years ago.

I couldn’t agree more, this is where imho blackland nail it

But it’s great to have a workhorse few that delivers a perfect shave, but still nice to use a r41 and jaws from time to time

I couldn’t agree more, this is where imho blackland nail it

But it’s great to have a workhorse few that delivers a perfect shave, but still nice to use a r41 and jaws from time to time
If your Blackbird is good enough to sacrifice your Timeless, it must be at least as good as the others in the Blackland stable. (y)

I'm not 100% certain yet that the Timeless is going to be a permanent fixture here yet, but I'm going to enjoy exploring its possibilities for a while.

I used to like a more aggressive razor, but as I get older my skin is changing.
I'm having to change down a gear (from overdrive 5th gear down to 4th gear sort of thing).
Have had to reduce the Karve from my favourite 'F' plate to a lowly 'E' plate.
Aaarrrgggghhh...where will it end?
May have to go down to a 'D' one day (sob, sob).
The Timeless .95 OC is still OK though, and I have the .68 OC plate if I get desperate.
I do have my lovely wee .53 Mamba...another 10 years and I might have to start using that.
Still using a collection of various Blue Devil soaps, with some Whispers from the Woods waiting in the wings.
So I don't think it's a soap issue. Just soft, paper thin skin. No nicks, cuts, weepers at all...just my skin now appreciates a milder shave.
I still do a 2nd pass using the Pearl Flexi set on '6', but that's a mild razor anyway.
Any of you folks noticed your razor preference changing to something milder as you age?

Have you tried changing up the blade? Silly question, of course you would have.

I found the Timeless synergised for me very well with Astra platinum (green/white box). The Feathers were very unforgiving. Whilst it rewards good technique/prep, I wonder if the thicker Astra blade somehow felt milder. I have the 0.68 and 0.95 SB (prefer the 0.95)

Just put an order through for the 0.5mm OC so we'll shortly see if I've gone too far the other way.

Have you tried changing up the blade? Silly question, of course you would have.
Yep...thanks...good thought, but 'been there done' that many years ago.
Only use good sharp smooth blades. Mainly Russian blades (St.P).
I have some Astra Green and don't like them, but the Astra Blue would be my lowest quality blade I use (they're OK, but not the first blade I reach for).
Rubies, Silver Blue, Yellows, Greens, Blacks, Minora, Nacet, Lab Blue, Wizamet, Feather...(oh yes!), Perma-Sharp (brown box).
No, my blades haven't changed, soaps are still reasonable ones.
Just that I now find I like a gentler shave. I have no problem with a Feather in the Timeless .95 OC. It's still a nice smooth, gentle shave.
Maybe...because this just happened recently too...I was diagnosed with Hypertension (high blood pressure), and given meds to take daily. (Hypertension is a prevalent condition in Vietnam Vets, and accepted as part of our service disabilities).
Suddenly developed skin rash, cough, throat infection (that wouldn't go away)...and now find that it's a side effect of the meds (Coversyl).
Just today went back to Doc and said I've stopped taking those pills as the side effects are worse than the problem.
Now have a new pill to take daily so will see how that goes.
This may have been the start of my wanting a more gentle shave?
Maybe I can get back to my Karve 'F' plate again?
If not then the 'F' and the 'G' plate (both SB) will be appearing on the BST soon.