Gillette Goal - shocked at the results

Monsta_AU

...can I interest you in some vintage blades?
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Grand Society
I have sourced some Gillette Goal blades through bestshave.net recently. As I am in the process of moving and blah blah blah, they have sat quietly in the stash. That was until the other day when I received a PM from a member of another forum asking me the following question:

Hey Monsta,

I wanted to know if you have had any experience with the Gillette "odd-balls," such as the Rubie Platinum Plus, the Goals, the ones coming out of China or Brazil, etc...

I've found your reviews to be extremely close to my experiences, and more importantly, unlike many members here, you can share your honest impressions of a blades strengths AND shortcomings.

If you have already spoken about these blades, just let me know and I will dig around for them.

Well, that was all the prodding I needed. I gave him my thoughts on the Rubie and mentioned although I had Goals, the opportunity to try them had not yet come up. I did however promise him that next shave, I was running with a Goal.

After my shower this morning, I dumped a 2-shave Yellow out of the Slim, and loaded a Goal. First impressions re: packaging was good. Double-wrapped paper, the inner being decent wax paper. There was 4 smaller glue spots, indicating an Indian origin. The blade itself was clean and the printing crisp.

Lather this morning was Proraso. I find that I don't like this in the cooler weather with the menthol component, but after being on La Toja stick for the last week and a half, I wanted something creamier.

Shave Details:
Blade: Gillette Goal (fresh)
Razor: Gillette Slim (Setting 6)
Lather: Proraso Original, from tube, lathered in bowl
Brush: Muhle Pure Badger
Passes: WTG + ATG + touchups

Initially, the WTG pass didn't set me on fire much. I felt a small bit of roughness, but as a few strokes kicked in I found the blade performing nicely. Ended up with a small nick just below my bottom lip, something that happens often with the menthol cool/numbing that goes with Proraso.

Once I went into XTG, this blade began to shine. Sharpness came out, effortlessly taking away what little stubble remained from the WTG pass. Still remained smooth, didn't feel any roughness.

Washdown was plain water, no AS/ASB or alum today. Result was BBS cheeks, DFS+ everywhere else. No irritation, just a good and close, comfortable shave. Now I have let my skin drydown, I might go add some Niviea ASB. :)

For a first shave initial impression, this reminds me of a Bleue, however sacrificing the facial feedback of that blade for a bit more sharpness, and maybe losing a notch of smoothness as well. So basically, if you love Bleues but sometimes want a bit more sharpness, you are going to love the Gillette Goal. Much better value than Yellows or Blacks too.

From a value perspective, you can currently get 300 Goals from bestshave.net for USD$51.45 with free shipping. Delivery time is 2 weeks, and BestShave is a trusted vendor. This equates to AUD$46.90 at XE.com mid-market rates at the time of writing, or 15.63 cents per blade. This is reasonably close to the rate I paid for my Bleues in a 4,000 lot.

Generally, I can recommend these blades. I feel they should suit most people wanting something a touch sharper but still want the smoothness. If they do not suit you, then you can probably swap them to someone who does like them, they are a reasonably in-demand blade.

Oh well, RM has found another blade as good as the Bleue. The sold out signs and the accompanying supply/demand price adjustments will be up shortly. By the way why is is spelt like that? Always thought it was a consistent typing or translation error.

It's been a while since I loaded one up, but I was again asked about these versus the Indian Wilks. Well after loading up a Wilk the other day, the Goals are definitely ahead of the Indian Wilks, however the gap is not as large as you may think.

Haven't done the FOREX on these lately, but for around the 15c/blade delivered for a Goal versus 20c/blade (in a 400-blade buy) for the Permasharps, I would say that they are decent for the price. I'd probably buy Permasharps over these though.

As for the 'Bleue', the original Gillette "Blue Blades" were originally marketed in France with the French spelling. After the transition to Stainless Steel, the Gillette company marketed them in Southern Europe as 'Bleue Extra'. This is the same time as the fabled 'Swedes' came out of the woodwork, and you also had Super Silvers (later transitioned to 'Silver Blues' when moved to PPI St. Petersburg), and the Super Stainless/Inoxydable which were themselves the logical successor to Spoilers.

Cheers Monsta.

I'm gonna order from bestshave at the end of the week. Deffo getting some PSS but they are very ordinary in my milder razors. Just seeing if there is an alternative to Derby for the milder razors that isn't as pricey as the 7 o'clock options.

I will give shark SS a run in the 34C but it's not very good in the Krona so I'll pass on it for this purpose.