Birth Year Razor... that was a mistake

DrBob

Hi All,

I was intrigued by the idea of a birth year razor, so went looking over the last few days. My birth year is 1958, February. So, of all the choices it seemed that a Fatboy Redpoint (Red Dot) would be logical because they seem to be only date code D1 which covers my birth month.

Oh, sure, I only found one on ebay, at US$2000!

Can anyone with more knowledge than me suggest alternatives? I guess a D1 Toggle would be OK but they seem as scarce also.

Hi All,

I was intrigued by the idea of a birth year razor, so went looking over the last few days. My birth year is 1958, February. So, of all the choices it seemed that a Fatboy Redpoint (Red Dot) would be logical because they seem to be only date code D1 which covers my birth month.

Can anyone with more knowledge than me suggest alternatives? I guess a D1 Toggle would be OK but they seem as scarce also.
@Mark1966
@FatBoy58

Unfortunately 1958 was an expensive year! There may be an Aristocrat but it possibly won't be dated. Wouldn't there also be the usual FatBoy available? (I know that the 1958 razors are scarce...)

Well @DrBob 1958 was a fine year BUT his problem @filobiblic is the quarter.

Regular Fatboys commenced production in the third quarter (I have cased third and fourth quarter ones - they are very collectible) and while you can find them about, D3s and D4s there were not as many as later years.

The alternatives are the 3 piece Tech or a regular (or Blue Tip or Red Tip) SuperSpeed. I'd be looking for a SuperSpeed to get an 'exact' birth quarter razor and possibly a D3 or D4 Fatboy as well.

Quite a few turn up in my search, even a D 1 Red Tip in good user condition that should clean up OK - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Gillett...Ball-End-D1-Red-Tip-Super-Speed-/121926425840

Well @DrBob 1958 was a fine year BUT his problem @filobiblic is the quarter.

Regular Fatboys commenced production in the third quarter (I have cased third and fourth quarter ones - they are very collectible) and while you can find them about, D3s and D4s there were not as many as later years.

The alternatives are the 3 piece Tech or a regular (or Blue Tip or Red Tip) SuperSpeed. I'd be looking for a SuperSpeed to get an 'exact' birth quarter razor and possibly a D3 or D4 Fatboy as well.

Quite a few turn up in my search, even a D 1 Red Tip in good user condition that should clean up OK - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Gillett...Ball-End-D1-Red-Tip-Super-Speed-/121926425840

OK, thanks. Something to look for. Were the Toggles still made in D1? Are they worth a go?

OK, thanks. Something to look for. Were the Toggles still made in D1? Are they worth a go?

Yes, there are D1 Toggles which are very nice but very $$$

I forgot above to mention the D1 TV Special SuperSpeed - now that is not as common as a regular one and very closely aligned with that date code - so a great choice for birth year razor.

1958%20TV%20Super-Speed.jpg

Yes, there are D1 Toggles which are very nice but very $$$

I forgot above to mention the D1 TV Special SuperSpeed - now that is not as common as a regular one and very closely aligned with that date code - so a great choice for birth year razor.

Thanks. I'll take a look.

Hi All,

You've got more chance than I have of finding my birth-year razor! When I was born we only had flint!!!

@Mark1966
@FatBoy58

Unfortunately 1958 was an expensive year! There may be an Aristocrat but it possibly won't be dated. Wouldn't there also be the usual FatBoy available? (I know that the 1958 razors are scarce...)

Skip the Red Dot and go with the regular 195. They can still be had on the bay under $100. As noted above the 58 TV Special is a nice shaver and fairly easy to find, as well as Red Tip and Blue Tip's.

You've got more chance than I have of finding my birth-year razor! When I was born we only had flint!!!

The Gillettes go back to 1903/04 so they SHOULD have you covered :)

Hi All,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-1958-Gi...254977?hash=item43f1e6f941:g:vUMAAOSwsTxXi-uZ