Best veg soaps

Ferret619

Foolish Possums are not Grand Poobahs
2018 Sabbatical
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
As we all know AI is coming for our jobs, taxes are coming for our money, death is coming for our lives and Veg bases are coming for our soaps.

No worries though, those melt n pour masterpieces aren’t so bad, Right?

Who are your favourite producers and what are your favourite variants?

Personally, I got to try mama bears about 5 years back and while the coffee scent wasn’t a favourite of mine the soap base was pretty solid and at $1USD per oz they are a great value.
@SpeedyPC look! A Masonic lodge scented veg soap- don’t get that from sterling do ya

jpMMAHZ.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t think I have tried MdC… mmm add it to the list.

A thread like this can't go without a mention of the famous MdC. Apparently it doesn't work for everyone, but I love it. If I ever manage to finish all my other soaps, I could easily just keep going with MdC.
MDC is the best and lasts … and lasts. Castle Forbes is another contender, the Lavender and Lime are both fantastic.

Someone had mentioned Bodyshop Macca's root is very good. I wonder that hasn't popped up on this list yet.
When I tried it I was pretty underwhelmed, might have to revisit

I found hard water can be an issue

nah, I live in Adelaide and water here is very hard

I also have MdC and absolutely love it, but this was not always the case for me.. My issues was that there wasnt enough water mixed in.. This soap lathers up super quick and its quite easy to think you have it when it really needs much more water, once I got this balance right MdC became one of my favorite soaps

Also, it doesnt take a lot of soap to get too much lather.. 15 seconds of loading is way enough.. if you load up too much soap you need a shit ton of water to balance it out

this is what I found with MdC anyway

I am a tallow guy but have been told many times over that Haslinger has done a really good job of it when they went vegan. I have a few pucks of each formula but have not tried them yet. I think I have been sitting on one puck for ages. I vaguely remember picking my first one up at Mensbiz back in the day when they stocked it.

Soaps that start out as vegan always seem to be better than those that suddenly convert to vegan formula from tallow. Some of them are worse than others.

Bugger! I rarely go out but was nearby to a Body Shop store yesterday and have always wanted to try the Maca Root soap. I will have to keep it in mind for next time. It's probably a good thing I didn't spend more of my money though.

The problem with MdC is that I could never decide on a scent and to blind buy it is super risky. It's a soap that lasts a really long time and if you don't enjoy that scent it would really suck. The smaller jars are not that much cheaper to justify the expense. I had considered unscented (I enjoy those) but then feel it's waste to only get half the pleasure on a once of purchase on an expensive soap. I almost pulled the trigger on Wild Rose once but had too many expenses at the time. MdC is probably a good retirement soap if you enjoy it. They seem to have dialed in their soap base and it will probably last forever and pay off in the long run. I think about retirement soaps more often these days. lol
I feel like we all go back to the

MWF & D.R. Harris tallow is my bloody retirement soap.
Yeah I totally feel this. I have a Wooden Jar of D.R. Harris Sandalwood from many years ago and a few other matching and non matching post shave items. I will have to get onto the matching soaps because I have too many post shave products not to.

I bought samples from Maggards. I currently have the fougère, which is amazing. Happy to send you a smush if you want to try it.
Wow! I didn't think to look at Maggards. I really appreciate the really generous offer. I had planned to make an order from Maggards before the year is up so I will probably wait for that. Then hopefully if I am in a better financial position I will be able to order the full size from VSHOD if I like it. Once again thank you for your very generous offer. That's pretty awesome. I do like fougère scents too. Thanks for the tip.