Astra blades...

vanNek

Really liking the Astra blade I'm using ATM, I can zip around my face, really quick & easily. It was my 3rd shave with it tonight, and it's seems to be a little dull.

Do astra's normally have a short life?

Thank you gents.

I have found the Astra blades to be very good, sharp and smooth.

As for the life of them, I get about 4-5 shaves per blade, but then I don't wait till the blades get dull.

SS or SP? I have both and prefer the SS (blue). The SPs (green) seem generally more preferred though. SS seem smoother and longer lasting to me.

I get very few shaves out of most blades. 2 with Feathers, 2-3 with Astra SPs, 3-4 shaves with Astra SSs.

I find Astra's to be a pretty good blade which like most modern blades last 3-4 shaves on average.

I think 3-4 is standard for all blades. Perma sharps seem to go on forever though. Other have similar experience.

Another big fan of Astra's. They are not spoken for as highly as the Feathers but I love 'em so much more. I toss the blade out after 3 shaves.

Most blades (with the exception of some of the vintage blades) are so cheap why would you bother trying to eke out 10-12 shaves out of one?

You'll not fit in here with that kind of frugality. You need more stuff. I think I know a man willing to help out with your affliction.

Thank you guys, it's the green astra's. I think the issue was the first blade I used was a permasharp....

Eggbert, Mark has already assisted in adjusting my bank balance...

[Monsta Edit - please don't use the G word.....]

Last edited by a moderator:
Big fan of astra too. I can get a month in a merkur futur. That said I use a blade per week. Monday is my new blade day
I'm not sure if a blade per week is enough usage to maintain your membership here mate.

I think the issue was the first blade I used was a permasharp....

That's a pretty damn sharp blade compared to anything, definitely not one most people would recommend as a starter. Definitely don't be discouraged if it was a bit harsh for you though, with some practice and technique refinement I'm sure you'll end up liking them too.

If you like the Green SP and feel like taking a small step up in sharpness, the Blue SS is a great blade too. Just a little bit sharper, still pretty smooth.

That's a pretty damn sharp blade compared to anything, definitely not one most people would recommend as a starter. Definitely don't be discouraged if it was a bit harsh for you though, with some practice and technique refinement I'm sure you'll end up liking them too.

If you like the Green SP and feel like taking a small step up in sharpness, the Blue SS is a great blade too. Just a little bit sharper, still pretty smooth.

The permasharp was fine, I was referring to how other's were saying the permasharp seem to last a bit longer.

My mistake, the PSS is very much a standout among modern blades. So are the Polsilver Super Iridiums/regular Super Iridiums. I can't think of any other current production blades that last like those.