Advice on replacing a faithful old friend

Nonick

Sputniks orbit planet face
Group Buy Associate
The time has come to replace my shaving brush. After trying half a dozen different brushes some years ago I got a Semogue Barbear Classico Texugo. I’ve used this every day for probably 7 years and the middle is getting chewed out now. Just an awesome brush.

So I’m wondering what suggestions maybe be about for a replacement? I face lather and prefer a small to medium size brush for this.

Two I’m considering after a poke about the forums and foggy memories are Simpsons Berkeley (one brush I used briefly, liked and wish I never sold it on) or a Semogue 750 (or 730HD - would anyone here be able to compare the differences?)

I’ve tried synthetic knots, maybe they’ve improved in 8 years but I didn’t love them. I see Simpsons have “sovereign fibre” now, anyone tried it?

IF your Semogue Barbear Classico Texugo handle is still in good or great condition, just re-knot the handle with the same knot size and type.

I’m sure @TroyTools would be happy to re-knot your Semogue Barbear Classico Texugo handle for you.

I’ve tried synthetic knots, maybe they’ve improved in 8 years but I didn’t love them. I see Simpsons have “sovereign fibre” now, anyone tried it?
Synth knots have made huge strides just in the last two years. Anything you tried 8 years ago is not much better than a cosmetics brush. See here, here and here for starters.

That said, if you want something special, I'd strongly suggest talking to @TroyTools, he'll make you a unique brush handle at a very reasonable price, and I'm sure he'll be able to offer useful input about knots if your preference is for natural fibres.

Synth knots have made huge strides just in the last two years. Anything you tried 8 years ago is not much better than a cosmetics brush. See here, here and here for starters.

That said, if you want something special, I'd strongly suggest talking to @TroyTools, he'll make you a unique brush handle at a very reasonable price, and I'm sure he'll be able to offer useful input about knots if your preference is for natural fibres.
Plus 1

Synthetics have come a long way and are very much worth investigating. I've reminded myself of this fact for the past two shaves using a silvertip badger brush, they are luxurious but hog the lather to the point where you have to squeeze it out with your hand just to get any on your face.

As @Gargravarr suggested, talk to @TroyTools, his range of brushes and skill at making them are second to none.

I have a Semogue Barber Classico Cerda that doesn’t get much love (I prefer something a touch bigger). PM me an offer if you’re interested. It’s a Boar, in good condition.

Yeah they must be a lot better I see way more synthetic brushes around on the forums.
I've always preferred natural hair brushes, boars in particular, but after using the latest synthetics, I own more of them now than natural haired ones.

The OUMO G5's are worth a look and coupled to a @TroyTools handle, you can't go wrong.

Even the cheaper Lansky is a good performer.

I've always preferred natural hair brushes, boars in particular, but after using the latest synthetics, I own more of them now than natural haired ones.

The OUMO G5's are worth a look and coupled to a @TroyTools handle, you can't go wrong.

Even the cheaper Lansky is a good performer.

Yep, those two are great options. I consider the AP Shave Co G5C to be the Rolls-Royce of synthetic knots (and it particularly stands out for being a fan). I like them so much, I have two of them. But if I were in the market right now, I'd probably be looking at a Lansky.

Hmm I’m sure the synthetic knots work well but somehow they seem.. fake? ah maybe it’s the way of the future, but I miss the history

Hmm I’m sure the synthetic knots work well but somehow they seem.. fake? ah maybe it’s the way of the future, but I miss the history
I totally understand where you are coming from. I was exactly the same, but you might be doing yourself a disservice if you don't give them a try.

I have a Semogue Barber Classico Cerda that doesn’t get much love (I prefer something a touch bigger). PM me an offer if you’re interested. It’s a Boar, in good condition.
Thanks for the offer MrT. I’ll keep it in mind, good to know, im probably after badger though. I had a couple of boar brushes and they were ok, just didn’t get a lot of use.

Not sure on synthetics yet Nanook - maybe down the track I’ll convert :)

Thanks that looks like quite a brush! This morning I ordered at Semogue 750. See if it’s a hit or miss!