A bit of guff..

Drubbing

110% Smiley-Free
Some of you will probably never have heard of Charles A Roberts. You're not missing anything, apart from a laugh, which is the only reason for posting this. The middle initial is the dead giveaway that he's a yank, and middle initials seem important, if you're the sort of person who thinks you are important.

Charles invented the Method shaving system. You can read about it on american forums if you like, but the book he penned (yes, he wrote a book), starts off with Charles claiming full credit for the resurgence in wet shaving. He also invents lots of new words in order to attach some pseudo-scientific/technical jargon to his method, when he's simply just flogging product. A lot of the yanks call him an entrepreneur or a character who 'polarises'. We'd call him a world class nob. He's also got some YT vids up, where he's demoing his method whilst doing at least 150 passes on his face. With a Feather.

Anyway, I'd forgotten all about Chas until I fell upon this.

Essay #7: The Anatomy of The Simpson's Shaving Brush

Now, I think Simmo's make a pretty nice brush, but if I ever say anything like, "A man who has never shaved with a Simpsons brush is a man who has walked the earth in partial stupefaction", then feel free to send Pj round to slap me with a frozen tuna.

Aside from the fact if the prose were any more purple and pretentious it would be in lavendar font, he admits in one of the last paragraphs that he doesn't even know how Simpsons are handmade, or why he thinks a handmade product is better. He just thinks it is and he knows more than we do. So there.

You're hanging out on some weird sites, Drubster! I might come round with a frozen tuna just to knock some sense in to ya.

When shaving turns in to some quasi religion it's time to grow a beard.

You're hanging out on some weird sites, Drubster! I might come round with a frozen tuna just to knock some sense in to ya.

This is the weirdest one. Only 5 people on it. That's not a forum, it's a cult.

Speaking of cults, B&B has been down for a while and cant seem to get back up. Maybe they're trying to stop people talking about Simmo's by whatever means possible...

Last edited:
I thought everyone here had hung around that weird forum known as B&B?

Touche on the point that this one may be the weirdest though, may as well rename it to "a few guys from Perth with nothing better to do"

Also everything I posted recently on the mensbiz forum has been deleted. Site upgrade or a deliberate decision? :sad2:

I think the less time spent on shaving forums, the healthier the mental state of the individual. I'm starting to buy heaps of gear for the first time in ages. First I coveted the brushes, and now I covet thou soap and want to get speick, and la toja and heaps of others. This is not normal for me! :embarrest:

Normally when there's a lower signal to noise ratio I couldn't care less what other people are recommending or are buying. The less new posts, the more I just want to buy stuff to help with the boredom :laugh:

Well there's yourself
drubbing the enabler
me
jugsv2
$qwuzzy
veteran

Then occasionally
spyne
RM himself
mark1966

lol this isn't a cult, there isn't any Tang.

I've never been a B&B member, only looked at a couple links to the site from other people.

But, really, so what if it's a few bored blokes from Perth?

We get along well (even tolerate Pjotr's fondness for cheap horse hair brushes), there is bugger all snobbery, great advice and a good bit of banter.

Nothing wrong with that.

Anyhoo I shall watch Charles A Roberts video if only to have a good larf.

Good ole Chicka, stretching the mix with high frequency blades and high velocity product ffs.

'For instance, I am the one who invented the concept of the “full” and the “half release” technique for a shaving brush. Yet I can not explain exactly why this technique only works correctly on a Simpsons brush and no other. I am also the one who has made the most noise about the supreme importance of “flex” in the head of a shaving brush. Yet I can not explain in any compelling detail why the flex of a Simpsons brush is so vastly superior to that of any other shaving brush made in the world today.'

Fair dinkum - that guy is a tosser!

P&C is picking up the B&B slack - their downtime could be the best thing for your business plan. i've certainly been here more laterly - but maybe I should just spend less time on shaving forums generally - it would be better for my [financial] health.

P&C is picking up the B&B slack - their downtime could be the best thing for your business plan. i've certainly been here more laterly - but maybe I should just spend less time on shaving forums generally - it would be better for my [financial] health.
It depends on your outlook.
If you want to be an antique collector that's one thing, go hog wild, and that's your own business, you'll do that whether contributing to shaving forums or not. Little chance of being spurred on here though :)

If you think of a razor as a tool, sure you might own a few, different tools for different jobs. I don't own 100 drills or grinders, but I sure don't use one for all jobs, so I have a few razors.
If you hang around here, the worst that can happen is a few more brushes, soaps or blades. Pretty harmless.

Did someone say 'more brushes'?

You've got to shave, you might as well enjoy it. A couple of years ago I'd have said, how the hell do you do that? Now I know.

Not into collecting though. I like to buy stuff that gets used, because I want to use it. That's why I get a bit twitchy when I think I have one too much of something, and something else doesn't get used.

But tastes and preference change along the way, I've been a bit hasty and sold a couple of things I should have held onto.

You can come visit your ex-brush if you like.

A supervised visit, mind you.

Bring beer.

It depends on your outlook.
If you want to be an antique collector that's one thing, go hog wild, and that's your own business, you'll do that whether contributing to shaving forums or not. Little chance of being spurred on here though :)

If you think of a razor as a tool, sure you might own a few, different tools for different jobs. I don't own 100 drills or grinders, but I sure don't use one for all jobs, so I have a few razors.
If you hang around here, the worst that can happen is a few more brushes, soaps or blades. Pretty harmless.

Well it seems I've become a razor collector - and that is OK.

It is just a worry when people like Drubbing convince you that you need more/different tools or toys! :rolleyes: