Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
OK I just saw this on eBay and have to ask - would it actually be possible to shave with this? It looks deadly to me!

$_57.JPG

I can not see there would be any forgiveness in the blade like a full hollow blade would have.
Too large as well most likely and that tip, asking to kiss goodbye to anything not absolutely smooth upon your dial!

Nope, looks like a piece of paki steel to me that's been shaped like a razor. Judging by the photos the spine width doesn't compliment the bevel angle and the convex shape of the bevel tells me that it's been ran across a reject shop knife sharpener. This seller has named all his steel damascus. This is where it gets interesting. Real damascus steel starts around $1000 for a straight razor, prob within that margin for a kitchen knife. Then you have damascus etching which is done by vinegar to bring out that pattern. If I get one for free it will end up in the dump, scrap metal wont even take it. I hate sellers like this.

I knew that wasn't Damascus as soon as I saw the filigree pattern on the blade. Thanks for letting us know how that is done @Mark.

Thanks @Mark - I thought it was a POS but just wanted to check :)

That metal is a travesty. Whoever made this should be taken out and shot.

Even that end pin is a complete waste of time. The wood that they used for the scales looks okay though, nice patterning, no major imperfections.

Cheeeeeeeeap and nasty subcontinental crap.

That metal is a travesty. Whoever made this should be taken out and shot.

Even that end pin is a complete waste of time. The wood that they used for the scales looks okay though, nice patterning, no major imperfections.

Cheeeeeeeeap and nasty subcontinental crap.

Now mate, don't hold back - tell us how you really feel!

Now mate, don't hold back - tell us how you really feel!

I'd like to cut this tool a new orifice with the tool he created.

It looks like it has been sharpened with an old angle grinder cutting wheel. Just hopeless.

That said, if I did EEVblog style videos on Youtube dedicated to shaving, then you can bet I would use something like this in my mailbag segment in order to open things up. Dave uses a Croc Dundee knife for comedic effect and everyone overseas loves it so much that they keep mailing him all sorts of electronic gear at a considerable cost just so they can see him open the packages with the knife.