Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Been a while since I've made a shave related purchase so I couldn't resist. So I have 210 Wilkinson Sword Premium Chromium blades coming my way....

attachment.php

attachment.php

According to the seller YKW - 'These are some of the finest blades ever made & also known as Sword Masters. They are the successor to the very popular Light Brigade and I get 10 shaves per blade, I think it could go more but haven’t felt like pushing it'

I hope so, mind you I probably have a lifetime of blades already ....

Sword Master seems to be a legit handle for some Wilkinson blades, but as with all things Wilkinson it is hard to pin down a definite model.
004-38.jpg

or
IMG_5715.jpg

hope so, mind you I probably have a lifetime of blades already ....

If you were to seriously sit down and add up how many blades you've got I'm sure you'll come to the depressing reality that you've got two lifetimes worth of blades already. What you don't do of course is seriously sit down and add up how many blades you've got. In any case, if you decide that you don't need three lifetimes worth of blades I'll generously put my hand up to help you stave off oncoming depression. If you're thinking of selling I wouldn't mind trying a couple in my quest to discover:"What's the deal with UK Wilkinsons?". Of course they've got to arrive first.

Last edited:
I... my quest to discover:"What's the deal with UK Wilkinsons?". Of course they've got to arrive first.

LOL - yes they do have to arrive and they are coming SURFACE mail from Canada - so they could be months!

I don't understand your question through. Once upon a time UK manufacturing was the best in the world - simple

Sword Master seems to be a legit handle for some Wilkinson blades, but as with all things Wilkinson it is hard to pin down a definite model.............

I've got my doubts about the supposedly superior quality that's been assigned to many of the UK Wilkies. They would have had to have retooled each of their factories every couple of years to accomplish the enormous variety of different blades they put out. Far easier to splodge a different name on some cardboard packaging material or dispenser. Having said that I've only tried three of four different ones to date. The winners so far are my 200 no name (they've just got Wilkinson Sword on the wrapper) blades. The Super Sword Edge are fine but unremarkable and so are the others I've tried.

I've got my doubts about the supposedly superior quality that's been assigned to many of the UK Wilkies. They would have had to have retooled each of their factories every couple of years to accomplish the enormous variety of different blades they put out. Far easier to splodge a different name on some cardboard packaging material or dispenser.

It's the cheapest marketing. Russians been doing it for ages. Then there's those Personna labs blues. Far superior to the bog standard reds…they're for hospitals. They want something far sharper than a razor blade.

It's the cheapest marketing. Russians been doing it for ages. Then there's those Personna labs blues. Far superior to the bog standard reds…they're for hospitals. They want something far sharper than a razor blade.

Yeah that's a funny one too. I've read emails from the head of Personna production stating categorically that the only difference between the two is that the blue labs are packaged under different hygienic and more stringent QC procedures and that that is the one and only difference between the blades. And people will still swear blind that the Blues are far superior 'cause they're "laboratory quality". Here I am being an uncultured philistine again. Heaping shit on to the blade fraternity. Shame on me.
By the way you mods could have told me I can change my own signature. You just let me hang there for months. I've actually got used to it and feel a certain pride.

Last edited:
By the way you mods could have told me I can change my own signature. You just let me hang there for months. I've actually got used to it and feel a certain pride.

I thought you were one too?

That was their secret plan.

Yeah that's a funny one too. I've read emails from the head of Personna production stating categorically that the only difference between the two is that the blue labs are packaged under different hygienic and more stringent QC procedures and that that is the one and only difference between the blades. And people will still swear blind that the Blues are far superior 'cause they're "laboratory quality". Here I am being an uncultured philistine again. Heaping shit on to the blade fraternity.

I wouldn't put too much trust in customer care service, Muhle told me that there was no difference between the R41 2011 and the 2013, and Schick wrote me letter saying that the Krona was produced from 1959 to 1963, which is completely incorrect.

Not really, I think the 60s and 70s were dark days for the British manufacturing industry. Then Maggie came along and killed it off almost entirely.

Not really, I think the 60s and 70s were dark days for the British manufacturing industry. Then Maggie came along and killed it off almost entirely.

I think that pre-1960s English manufacturing was world leading. Then it fell away in the 1960s and 1970s and was well and truly dead before Maggie had the decency to arrange the funeral :)