TV programs

Johnus

Just thought of all of you. Just saw a preview for a new series on US History Channel ... Outback Hunters!!! Starts tonite taking the place the place of the Louisiana "Swamp People" series.

Update!!! It must be Australia nite *** Wipe Out Australia*** just came on Tru TV!!

Last edited:
Oh yeah, is that the croc hunting show?

Might be the one filmed in the Northern Territory...

Sounds like someone up in programming HQ decided to do a like for like swappsie....US goodoleboyz & yokels for their 'Ozzee' equivalents. Now before someone takes umbrage at the linking of the two (never know we could have a hillbilly or bushie in here) let me say the Australian one looked alright and like the participants atleast had all their normal number of chromosomes etc....ya know none of that sending their sister a 'Happy Mothers Day' card or that kinda thing. :confused:

May be? But I think our alligators are meaner. They ate all of our kangaroos years ago!

As a former resident of the Northern Territory I have to dispute that claim, Johnus.

The salt water crocodile is probably one of the most amazing predators on the planet.

Y'all never had any kangaroos to begin with because our crocodiles ate them as they were trying to hop into the water to swim over there.

[video=youtube;36S_fvUt1V0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36S_fvUt1V0&feature=related[/video]

There was a huge croc in the NT called Sweetheart who was caught in '79. 5.1 metres. That's a lot of handbags.

Sweetheart (crocodile) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gotta 2nd Jug on this - Salties make 'gators look like cuddly critters.

The largest ever gator was around 5.8m - no weight given but they generally grow to 450kg...compare this to a croc which grow to not much longer (though the largest ones are reported in the 7-8m mark) but normal adult size is 1000kg! Thats a lot more angry lizard to deal with.

Seriously, they're amazing creatures....as testified by the fact they've remained essentially unchanged for millenia......they got it so right early on they never had to change.

Last edited:
I have to agree. The old ones that I've seen in captivity in Florida are only about ~12 ft long. Still would want one in my backyard.

I have to agree. The old ones that I've seen in captivity in Florida are only about ~12 ft long. Still would want one in my backyard.

I live in croc country, and regularly perform fauna surveys in and around croc inhabited rivers.

Cuddly, loveable, friendly things they are not. Especially when they find you near their nest (that you were unaware of)