TRICKY OL' TILLOTSON

tathra11

I'll start by saying this razor was at times a PITFA to restore :banghead: But as always, the process taught me some new things. The first step was to hone and shave. All good here. So I unpinned and cleaned up the blade with 3M Marine and steel wool which didn't do much good at all. Hmmm, that's unusual. Now a lengthy progression of wet n dry. Again here, the sanding didn't produce the normal lovely shine once finished off with 2k paper. Somethings going on here me thinks, scratching head. On to buffing compounds then finish with hand polishing using a couple different products. The final result? Very bloody ordinary. So decided to put a satin finish on the blade to give the antique look and cover some blemishes and pitting. Now the blade looked like crap. :mad: All scratchy like I'd just used a piece of sandpaper containing multiple different grits. Im getting the shits now. What to do...... Then I have the idea to use a finish I've never tried. Forced patina. To hopefully achieve a nice soft, even grey across the steel and complement the scars and pitting. Wiped very warm vinegar on the blade till it looked about right and at last the blade looks ok. The scales were in a poor state. Covered in gunk, warped, lots of delamination and a bad split to the front scale at the wedge pin. Sanded scales to find one streaky brown and the other translucent. I repaired the split and dyed the scales deep brown. The scales look ok considering their age and previous condition, but I might yet make a new set later on.

That's a nice result with the warm vinegar @tathra11.
I have tested a similar method on one razor but dunked it in warm apple cider for 24 Hrs and liked the end result especially etching.
My only problem is laziness because have to remove scales for that method. Once I have a bit more experience with re-scaling will do few more vintage razors using this method.
There is a video (here) where @Substance uses a coffee bath to darken the steel on last years P&C Charity Auction Custom Go Mai srt8s

That's a nice result with the warm vinegar @tathra11.
I have tested a similar method on one razor but dunked it in warm apple cider for 24 Hrs and liked the end result especially etching.
My only problem is laziness because have to remove scales for that method. Once I have a bit more experience with re-scaling will do few more vintage razors using this method.
There is a video (here) where @Substance uses a coffee bath to darken the steel on last years P&C Charity Auction Custom Go Mai srt8s
The coffee is great to darken steels without eating steel like the vinegar will, and hot vinegar will eat your blade rapidly as will evaporust if left to long
I'll start by saying this razor was at times a PITFA to restore :banghead: But as always, the process taught me some new things. The first step was to hone and shave. All good here. So I unpinned and cleaned up the blade with 3M Marine and steel wool which didn't do much good at all. Hmmm, that's unusual. Now a lengthy progression of wet n dry. Again here, the sanding didn't produce the normal lovely shine once finished off with 2k paper. Somethings going on here me thinks, scratching head. On to buffing compounds then finish with hand polishing using a couple different products. The final result? Very bloody ordinary. So decided to put a satin finish on the blade to give the antique look and cover some blemishes and pitting. Now the blade looked like crap. :mad: All scratchy like I'd just used a piece of sandpaper containing multiple different grits. Im getting the shits now. What to do...... Then I have the idea to use a finish I've never tried. Forced patina. To hopefully achieve a nice soft, even grey across the steel and complement the scars and pitting. Wiped very warm vinegar on the blade till it looked about right and at last the blade looks ok. The scales were in a poor state. Covered in gunk, warped, lots of delamination and a bad split to the front scale at the wedge pin. Sanded scales to find one streaky brown and the other translucent. I repaired the split and dyed the scales deep brown. The scales look ok considering their age and previous condition, but I might yet make a new set later on.

Very nice restore mate, give the horn a wipe and soak in some neatsfoot oil and it will bring them back a treat especially after the sanding

The coffee is great to darken steels without eating steel like the vinegar will, and hot vinegar will eat your blade rapidly as will evaporust if left to long

Very nice restore mate, give the horn a wipe and soak in some neatsfoot oil and it will bring them back a treat especially after the sanding
That was my first thought about using vinegar. I am yet to try patinas on my restored blades. I did know about black coffee, Drew Dick, blacksmith extraordinaire uses it extensively once he etches his Damascus blades.

I am still in awe by the satin finishes you guys manage to achieve. I usually sand using different "scotch brite" wheels, usually from grit 300 up to 1000. They work awesome, particularly since they are 10 cm diameter and I can plug them into my power drill. However, I haven't managed yet such greag satin finishes as I see in your restorations.

This one looks rather lovely too, well done!