the most controversial razor on srp (straight razor place)

YOGI

Keeper of the Pasted Man Sticks
I finally bitten the bullet and brought the most talked about razor ever. The razor have gotten legendary status among straight razor enthusiasts

The razor in question is the GOLD DOLLAR Chinese razor which I brought on ebay I paid in total $5.00 including shipping

The razor is made from plastic scales but seem to be quite strong. The emblem on the scales which proclaims the gold dollar title started to rub off very quickly in a matter of hours actually

Now to the grind. Now I've seen quite a few vintage razors and can compare what constitutes a good razor
Now back to the grind its the most ugliest razor grind I have ever seen. Gouged toe and no final polishing what so ever

Yesterday I finally honed up the razor with 1000/3000/10000 stone. It was good to know the razor ended up sitting flat on the hone with no warping what so ever

Today I finally shaved with the gd after i considered it shave ready and what can I say near bbs on second pass

So can I recommend a gd? I don't know that's your decision but I enjoyed this ugly duckling and I will continue to shave with it and put it in my rotation . and after being forced to use a DE razor for over six months I'm in heaven

Cheers

To the Google box my friend. Oh and look up srp as well

I've been playing around honing the one that i bought on and off for about 2 months. I'll give it this; it does get sharper each time and it hasn't rustler or bad spotted(yet). May be another month and it'll be ready, I hope:)-)

Wow thanks for trusting me!!! First time that I haven't had to wait to see what I've written!!! Thank you!!

Aye well when they do get to know you, you will be back on the approve to post list!!!

Think if you can get a unwarped GD they make decent shavers. If the QC was better they would be great.

I found this one which I think would be a good "buy 2 and learn to hone" type of activity. Not sure about the quality of it for anything else.

I found this one which I think would be a good "buy 2 and learn to hone" type of activity. Not sure about the quality of it for anything else.

Looks very similar. But I would just go for a gd to learn how to hone

Also start looking for a cheap antique razor like a Russian blade or equivalent

Then the fun starts on purchasing hones, strops & the list goes on

Just remember there are many ways to sharp and you don't need to spend a bucket load as what some vendors suggest

Hi I recommend the GD too. I found that with a decent hone it's as good as the dovo basics. I even rate them near my TI's however no where near as good looking.

Hi I recommend the GD too. I fou
nd that with a decent hone it's as good as the dovo basics. I even rate them near my TI's however no where near as good looking.

Wow man that's a pretty bold statement always wanted to try a ti

I heard of these a couple of years ago, was someone selling kits with these?
Was tempted, but I know I can't hone for the life of me after I couldn't get a Rolls Razor sharp, so I gave up.

I heard of these a couple of years ago, was someone selling kits with these?
Was tempted, but I know I can't hone for the life of me after I couldn't get a Rolls Razor sharp, so I gave up.

Thiers-Issard starter kit

And they still sell em

Every time I see a Rolls Razor 9/10 the hone is broken or seized
Been thinking of purchasing one just to try out

Might put it on my shaving bucket list

Thiers-Issard starter kit

And they still sell em

Every time I see a Rolls Razor 9/10 the hone is broken or seized
Been thinking of purchasing one just to try out

Might put it on my shaving bucket list

£177 for the thiers-issard, no thanks. I mentioned someone was selling starter kits for these gold dollar razors, I think it was around $40-50, but no matter.

I've bought about 4 rolls, one with cracked hone, the rest fine.
Probably paid less than $10 plus postage for each of them, they were cheap from uk ebay for a long time. I've got 2 very good sets needing nothing, but one with a good hone had a warn loose razor spring (that broke when I tried to reset it I think, maybe already cracked), and one with a good hone with bad spring went into the set with bad hone and good spring. So I have 3 good complete sets for $40 PP.

But those hones in the set won't sharpen a dull blade no matter what time you waste on them, need something more aggressive.

Also one set has a bit of corrosion on the blade edge which I did smooth up a lot, but will probably need serious honing to make it good. But no loss, I managed to get a spare new OEM blade in bakelite container for $10 if that blade is not salvageable.

Last edited:
I Have 4 TI straight all if them very hard steel. Took a while to gone to my liking. Only 1 carbon that I got to my liking by accident and a nos dovo i havent touched.

I am up TI my third gold dollar from eBay. They have honed up well and a good one to practice on. I also tried double arrow and I cannot get them to keep an edge, lasts just one shave.

I use sharpens for my honeing.

I own... quite a few straight razors. A year or two back I went travelling and only took my GD 208, shaved with it exclusively for over a month (I was worried about an expensive razor getting pinched out of my luggage). Yes, it took me a while to get the razor sorted and shave ready, but once it was it took and held an edge as good as a modern razor 10x the price.

Glad to see that you reopen the GD thread. That 1st GD 66 shaves so well that I recently bought a GD 208. Have the 208 shaving. Took me less time than the 66. Was the 208 worth 3X the 66?? May be.